Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Future

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

We are where we are now, the money and has gone and we need to re-adjust back to normality.

Personally unless by some miracle we manage to finish second, I fear that this is going to result in at least a couple of years back in the wilderness, I can see us losing the likes of Ellis, Sharp, and Cording, and next season its hard to see us threatening the top 4. I also doubt we will have Andy Hay at the club next year either, with probably Danny Evans taking over.

I am I being unduly pessimistic or realistic?, that do you think?

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Next year will be a breather to stabilise the club. Yhen build for the year after.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 Rover68

Rover68
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

I agree with this however there are those who demand success and are going to be disappointed the dream of super league is over we will have to adjust to a middle table team picking up the odd giant killing act . The problem then comes falling crowds less income = poorer players and so the downward circle starts . Let's hope this does not and we stick with the team through this very rough period .i for one will but I enjoyed this period in the clubs history when we were a dominant force hope it returns soon.

#4 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Halifax have been struggling financially and their gates have dropped since they didn't get a franchise, but they haven't done too badly, neither have Batley on a much lower playing budget than ours. I think we've all been spoilt, didn't we enjoy the exploits and near misses of 2009? Remember that Sheffield won the GF from 6th place (I think) it 2012 and Batley went very close last year. They also won the NRC. Maybe we can win something as underdogs?

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

Well there's hope steve.
like ive said elsewhere. .. if we can't beat worky or Rochdale im not building my hopes up for any great end of season assault on second place or the play offs

#6 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Is it still not worth the gamble to bring in a couple of players? bearing in mind the prize money differences. Annakin and Sammut perhaps, or is the deal with Wakey off now?

#7 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Think its done mate

#8 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

On paper, the side looks ok, especially in the backs. Confidence is shot though, that's the problem. Maybe the idea someone said of bringing Peter Roe back into the club might work, not sure what Andy Hay would think of it though.

#9 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Is it still not worth the gamble to bring in a couple of players? bearing in mind the prize money differences. Annakin and Sammut perhaps, or is the deal with Wakey off now?

If the deals off how come Trout is still here

#10 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Isn't he on loan??
I dont know where we are this season

#11 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Isn't he on loan??
I dont know where we are this season

Don't know thought he was going to sign on with us but whether he does now I don't know

#12 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

I lost track of everything when feis was running all over west yorks waving registration papers at anyone an agent could find!

#13 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

Wasn't there talk of Trout signing for us. Maybe the deal went through.

#14 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Lets look at the overall picture. We have quite a few players injured and of course one suspended. 2 matches I understand. These are mainly in the forwards. Onpaper with a fit side we are still a formidable outfit. Don't forget that Donnie and Halifax have tough fixture to come. This weekend could see them both losing. If we can get a decent team out on the field and win and they both lose we are back to to 4 points in front equivalent to 5 in a way as we have a far superior for and against. One advantage is that we are heading for a settled team. Let's look on the bright side. Ok we have lost to Rochdale and Workington. The former due to a lack of forwards and the latter to an improving side. Don't forget Halifax have lost 6. In my opinion there is hope yet of finishing in second position. I would much rather be a Fev supporter than Sheffield who are near to the relegation zone. So let's keep positive.

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Back to the Fev we all know and love - consistently inconsistent. Winning most weeks was good whilst it lasted, but at least we all know what to expect now: the unexpected!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#16 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

I agree with this however there are those who demand success and are going to be disappointed the dream of super league is over we will have to adjust to a middle table team picking up the odd giant killing act . The problem then comes falling crowds less income = poorer players and so the downward circle starts . Let's hope this does not and we stick with the team through this very rough period .i for one will but I enjoyed this period in the clubs history when we were a dominant force hope it returns soon.

Rover68, I am the last person to be disappointed by a failure to achieve SL. and as such I am not DEMANDING success. I hope  and I know that we will eventually turn that corner. All that I do demand is that the lads get stuck in, put a little pride back into the shirt and give us something to cheer about.

I can accept defeat as long as we go down fighting, get into the ribs of the opposition and let everyone know that we are here.

#17 elmagic

elmagic
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

On paper, the side looks ok, especially in the backs. Confidence is shot though, that's the problem. Maybe the idea someone said of bringing Peter Roe back into the club might work, not sure what Andy Hay would think of it though.

Peter Roe is massively out of touch with the game in my opinion.Isnt Stuart Donlan helping AH? He has a good pedigree and has worked under so decent coaches.Hopefully he can work on our defence!!

#18 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

Isn't Stuart Donlan in Canada. Not back till August I was told.

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#19 elmagic

elmagic
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Isn't Stuart Donlan in Canada. Not back till August I was told.

Heard he was coaching the national team but i was told hes done a few stints on the training ground with us? Might just have been helping AH out short term until he left our sunny shores? guesing your right otherwise some form of announcement would have been made. Wouldnt grumle if he came on board though as heard he knows his stuff.

#20 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Wasn't there talk of Trout signing for us. Maybe the deal went through.

It would make sense to sign Trout as he has looked good with Rovers, but is a small fish in a large pond at Wakefield.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users