Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby AM show- TONIGHT!

RugbyAM LoveRL RugbyLeaguefans

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RugbyAM

RugbyAM
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

The Rugby AM show will be going live again tonight on Premier Sports (Free to view on Sky channel 428 - no subscription needed!!) 

Bigger and better than before with the feedback from the fans!!

The show will bring more of the favourite features such as 'Team Mates', 'Dupa League' and more banter from all your RL favourites!! 

Remember you can interact with the show using the @RugbyAM twitter page or #RugbyAM hashtag!!

TONIGHT - 8pm! Post your comments and feedback below!

#2 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

why is it called rugby am if it goes out in the pm?

#3 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Because them that present it are 12hrs short of a day

#4 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Like it, just take it as it is! A bit of a laugh and the presenters and guests enjoying themselves,

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

It was much improved on last month's.  Nowhere near as shouty, thank goodness.  The set was decent and having an audience definitely helped.  Having Jon Wilkin on there helped as well, as he is a natural in front of a TV camera.  JJB just doesn't come across right on TV though.  He speaks too fast, mumbles and his accent is just too broad.  I can't understand a word he says.

I liked the t shirt feature, although hopefully there will be t shirts from clubs outside of Yorkshire that are not Australian in the future.  Maybe some southern and Welsh clubs could be represented too since there are rugby league clubs beyond the M62 corridor?  Scotland and Ireland too! That was a good idea though and it would be interesting to learn more about the clubs whose shirts are sent in.

The token woman needs a role rather than just flashing her boobs and talking about her impending birth.  Maybe a women in league feature?  Women as players, coaches, volunteers, staff, mothers, wives, etc, etc.

Other than that I thought the show was much improved and I liked the former CEO of the Sharkies (or whatever role it was that he had, I missed the first 10 minutes and so missed his introduction).  It was interesting to hear from him.  Both the guests have been good, in this show and the last.

Good effort.  Hopefully it will keep growing.

#6 Bod

Bod
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

After watching the last 20 minutes it would seem Yorkshire is still 30 years behind most places. Cringeworthy.  

#7 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

After watching the last 20 minutes it would seem Yorkshire is still 30 years behind most places. Cringeworthy.

Only 30 years? :unsure:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#8 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

An improvement on last month's show in most aspects and great to see more rugby league on TV.

The JJB issue is a tricky one. The guy is clearly intelligent, an original thinker and confident in front of the TV cameras and therefore has some good contributions to make, however his speech is very difficult to understand. With this in mind, it's difficult to imagine a less suitable job for him than being a TV presenter.

If the ultimate aim is to build the profile and success of the show with a view to it being picked up by Sky Sports (for example), then there might be some difficult choices for Alex and the team to make in future, about whether to continue with some of the guys who have been there from the start (e.g. JJB and the two lads who visit the grounds) but probably do not come across very well on TV.

#9 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Maybe a sort of crossbar challenge or kicking challenge or drop goal challenge, like on soccer am, or a type of superstars pull up challenge, bench press or squat challenge,

#10 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

a pull up challenge would be good -  but would they be allowed?

#11 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

3 minute challenge, one minutes push-ups then one minute sit ups then one minutes squats without rest, the old fashioned fitness tests! The best score wins at the end of the season,

Edited by barnyia, 10 July 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#12 Jack Russell

Jack Russell
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Still a little rough around the edges but they are only two shows in, so understandable. The sound in the studio echos, but i enjoyed the program. It made a refreshing change seeing league players showing a personality instead of the straight talking we are used to seeing on sky sports, which they seem to be restrained from speaking their mind. Simmons is gold, a good presenter and knows his rugby. i look forward to the next episode.

#13 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Simmons is gold, a good presenter and knows his rugby.

Would disagree here. Don't doubt his enthusiasm, but he's a bit "student radio" and he is one of the main things that puts me off the format. He isn't too bad in the free flowing conversations but when reading from a script/autocue it's painful. I wouldn't confuse passion with talent, although I am aware that it's his brainchild so he isn't exactly going to step back.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 11 July 2014 - 09:43 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#14 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Would disagree here. Don't doubt his enthusiasm, but he's a bit "student radio" and he is one of the main things that puts me off the format. I wouldn't confuse passion with talent, although I am aware that it's his brainchild so he isn't exactly going to step back.

Pretty much this. If it wants to be around in a couple of years time and is a success then JJB, Simmons and the Royston Vasey feel needs to go. You can carry someone like Keith Senior because he has been there and done it and is a recognisable face. But for people living outside of Yorkshire the whole thing must feel like an 'in-joke' party that they haven't been invited to.

#15 Topper1961

Topper1961
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

I was very critical of the first show and although this was marginally better I still believe the whole thing is second rate. I've had my fill and won't be watching the next one.

#16 Jack Russell

Jack Russell
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

You've got to remember they are only two shows in. When soccer am lost Lovejoy, Tubes, Sheephead and others, the first ten or so shows was ###### with the new crew on board. It came across cheap, unfunny and amateur, (it prob still does to most now), give them time.

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

You've got to remember they are only two shows in. When soccer am lost Lovejoy, Tubes, Sheephead and others, the first ten or so shows was ###### with the new crew on board. It came across cheap, unfunny and amateur, (it prob still does to most now), give them time.

They can have as much time as they like - it won't change a thing. I'm sure you remember Yorkshire News on Soccer AM. Well, it's become a reality.

Edited by Scubby, 11 July 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#18 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

That was worse than ######

#19 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

I agree with Scubby, it felt very much like an in joke for Yorkshire folk. It continues the stereotyping of RL as a regional sport. I watched it for a bit but really could not take any more. 

#20 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Sad news that the Widnes fan who was interviews - Pat Price - has passed away this weekend :-(

She will be missed by all - everyone knew who Pat was, she even had her own terrace chant! It won't be the same without her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users