Second team

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

anybody any idea of the cost of setting up and running a reserve or u20 side for a season, we need to be bringing our own players on and into first team

#2 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

I think at a supporters meeting Mark said it was around 20/25k a year.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#3 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

I think at a supporters meeting Mark said it was around 20/25k a year.

When I was talking to Mark at beginning of season he said they were looking to 're-launch the 2nd team depending how this season went because it would cost at least 25k!! The higher you finish the more prize money you get

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

I am pretty sure this year the Champ clubs got 90K so what will the clubs spend more than double on next season? Will it just be higher payments to players or should the money be used to develop the game rather than just making players better off? I think someone said running a second string costs £25K per year. I think all clubs should have to run a second team if this is the case and start developing local talent. Spend the money on getting all the fat kids to run around a bit.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Agreed , all teams in this league should have a second team. While the extra money I'm sure is welcome if you are a player it doesn't help the wider game.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#6 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Agreed , all teams in this league should have a second team. While the extra money I'm sure is welcome if you are a player it doesn't help the wider game.

Well carrying water bottles around the pitch of a Sunday afternoon certainly wasnt helping Farrell.....

#7 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

I am pretty sure this year the Champ clubs got 90K so what will the clubs spend more than double on next season? Will it just be higher payments to players or should the money be used to develop the game rather than just making players better off? I think someone said running a second string costs £25K per year. I think all clubs should have to run a second team if this is the case and start developing local talent. Spend the money on getting all the fat kids to run around a bit.

You're right on both counts PM. 90K is what all Championship clubs get this year and we really should all have a second team. However the concept and benefit of second teams was critically damaged, in my opinion, by the age limitation regulations that were brought in. I have yet to see any evidence that SL has benefitted from this and certainly it was a hindrance to Championship clubs. I know that I'm an old fogey but I would love to see a reversion to the simple concept of A teams, at least at our level, with no age constraints: these offered the perfect balance between development, injury rehabilitation, recovery from loss of form, game practice against mature players and simple "second teamers" hoping for their chance.

Maybe I am too simplistic in my views.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#8 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

You're right on both counts PM. 90K is what all Championship clubs get this year and we really should all have a second team. However the concept and benefit of second teams was critically damaged, in my opinion, by the age limitation regulations that were brought in. I have yet to see any evidence that SL has benefitted from this and certainly it was a hindrance to Championship clubs. I know that I'm an old fogey but I would love to see a reversion to the simple concept of A teams, at least at our level, with no age constraints: these offered the perfect balance between development, injury rehabilitation, recovery from loss of form, game practice against mature players and simple "second teamers" hoping for their chance.

Maybe I am too simplistic in my views.

Like most of us BSJ,  you obviously don't see the bigger picture. Maybe someday the think tank behind the under 20 (or 19 or 21 depending on the year) concept, will deign to explain to us what we have all been patently missing. I won't hold my breath.

#9 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I agree with you bsj i used to enjoy the A team games and even went to some away games , we occasionaly got some very good gates at the A team and a good atmosphere ,one thing not mentioned was that it was a good vehicle for older experienced players to teach the young guns the game.

#10 reg gasnier

reg gasnier
  • Facebook
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Your spot on johnny the experience young players get from playing among seasoned pros is invaluable to their development not simplistic old lad just common sense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users