Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League World Issue 400 - Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

Get your party hats on! Rugby League World Issue 400 is online now!

Details on how to get it on your smartphone, tablet or desktop at www.totalrl.com/rlw

Print edition in shops Friday. Order a copy by post from www.totalrl.com/shop

rlw_aug14_500.jpg

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

In case you missed this last night...

You can now read issue 400 of Rugby League World online on your smartphone or tablet by downloading the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay. It's also available for desktop PC & Mac from Pocketmags.

Print edition is in shops from Friday 11th July. Single copies or subscriptions can be purchased from the TotalRL.com Shop or by calling 01484 401895 (Mon-Fri 9.30am-5pm).

If you've read any of the previous 399 issues of Open Rugby or Rugby League World and haven't seen a copy in a while, this one is a worthy investment!

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Here we are then, the big day, it's Friday 11th July 2014, and Rugby League World Issue 400 is in shops today!

Get set, on your marks, rush out and buy a copy!! :)

Then tell us what you think of it here... we await your judgement (and possibly even a modicum of praise for making it this far???)

If your local shop doesn't stock it, you can order a copy by post from www.totalrl.com/shop and details on how to get it on your smartphone, tablet or desktop can be found at www.totalrl.com/rlw

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#4 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Whilst queing up in Wh Smith to buy Rugby league world I noticed that the cover price had gone up to £ 3.99, however when scanned through the til by staff it was still £3.50. Clearly an error somewhere. So what's it to be £3-50 or £3-99??

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Whilst queing up in Wh Smith to buy Rugby league world I noticed that the cover price had gone up to £ 3.99, however when scanned through the til by staff it was still £3.50. Clearly an error somewhere. So what's it to be £3-50 or £3-99??

I've had that problem at Smiths before when I've bought a mag when the price has gone up - imagine it's their fault and not LPL's
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#6 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Picked it up at Southampton Airport today. Was a good read. Slightly over-egging the nostalgia but I'll forgive them because 400 issues is a great achievement - especially when print publications are struggling.

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Here's a list of WH Smith branches which stock issue 400.

http://www.totalrl.c...lworld_whsmith/

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#8 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Here's a list of WH Smith branches which stock issue 400.

http://www.totalrl.c...lworld_whsmith/

Just read the tribute portion of issue 400 and it was very enjoyable I must say. I always remember Open Rugby being a presence in my household even before I was old enough to regularly start attending games. In fact looking back at some of the covers there are a couple I remember from when I was very young indeed. I know Hindle jokes about the Bulls never being on the cover anymore, but I forgot how often Robbie and Henry were on the cover. People must have been sick of ‘em!

Vividly remember that one with Henry on the cover just after LPL took over, and had a chuckle at the issue with the free Super League stickers from the official Super League sticker album. I remember me and my sister collecting them and getting annoyed as we only had one Bulls player, but had nearly completed the blummin’ Leeds squad.

The section on the name change was interesting, always wondered why it went that way as Open Rugby is still an iconic name in some quarters – you still occasionally hear someone said they have “read something in the latest Open Rugby” on the terraces. Does anyone remember that the same season Open Rugby changed to Rugby League World, Sky Sports ditched Boots ‘n’ All and renamed their midweek magazine show…Rugby League World! Always thought that was a bizzare coincidence.

Anyway Happy 400th RLW. Just to go back to the cover gallery for one second, on the gloomy week – for me anyway-  that my team will probably be relegated from the top flight, this particular archive cover made me smile!

Open-Rugby-188-Cover.jpg

Edited by Amber Avenger, 14 July 2014 - 12:55 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,355 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Good issue. Really enjoyed it and good to see the old covers too. Absolutely incredible (and sad) that most of the things they said in the first OR could have been written today.
The cover with Jason Robinson on in a GB shirt. ...I can remember reading that and *genuinely* believing that we had good players and would beat the Aussies soon. How green was I?

Edit: wasn't Boots and All called 'World of Super League' for a while?

Edited by Johnoco, 16 July 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#10 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Congratulations to all concerned.Started getting the magazine in the early 80,s and it was a big influence in my general interest in the game as just opposed to being a club supporter.

#11 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Always a good read. I shall be buying it at WH Smiths at theEurotunnel entrance at Folkestone tomorrow on my way to France.

Edited by Teessidewire, 17 July 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#12 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

A little video montage...

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#13 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Bought mine yesterday in WH Smith at Westfield Stratford before reviving an old custom and putting the remaining copies in front of the Union magazines.

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Got my copy today and already read a few features. Nice to see Brenda Dobek getting a mention - the first female player I ever heard of. And what a player!

If you'd expanded the fun but frivolous 'bearded players' to include general facial hair, you could have shown a photo of Carlos Zalduendo's utterly magnificent whiskers during his playing days!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Any more thoughts on issue 400, folks...?

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

I know it was a charity event for a good cause, but I'm not entirely sure about having golf (p.36-37) in a sports magazine. ;) 

Joking aside, still picking through it and finding much to enjoy.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Got it as it was the 400th., as I hadn't bought it for a while, and found quite a lot to read in it. Might give it a go again. Interested to see the pictures of Tony Gourley and Harry Beverley, which bought back memories of Craven Cottage. I believe that Tony's still got his chippy in Rochdale, but I don't know where Harry is these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users