Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cricket - England v India

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Whilst I get your point, Root has barely cemented his place in the side... hence why Ramite's comment is probably quite true.

I'd disagree, I think Root is probably the only batsman who is genuinely undroppable right now.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

You could possibly add Ballance to that as well. As for making him captain I wouldn't want to see that , it would effect his batting. We have enough batsman out of form.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#23 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

I know the there's-no-one-else argument and it's a perfectly valid reason why Cook wasn't sacked on the spot after the aussie tour, one of the most disgraceful efforts of recent decades, which is saying something.

But now it's got to the point where simply anyone will do. Carberry, Compton, Lees, Boycott's Mother would all get more runs and literally anyone could skipper the side better.

Make Bell the fall guy for the rest of the summer, he's senior player and doing sod all to justify his place anyway.

A Fev Blog

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:57 AM

I know the there's-no-one-else argument and it's a perfectly valid reason why Cook wasn't sacked on the spot after the aussie tour, one of the most disgraceful efforts of recent decades, which is saying something.

But now it's got to the point where simply anyone will do. Carberry, Compton, Lees, Boycott's Mother would all get more runs and literally anyone could skipper the side better.

Make Bell the fall guy for the rest of the summer, he's senior player and doing sod all to justify his place anyway.

Boycott's Stick of Rhubarb could do a better job.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,467 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I hardly dare tempt fate, but Cook's on 67!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I hardly dare tempt fate, but Cook's on 67!

good, in fact great!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#27 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

It's a bit quiet on this thread today.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,467 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

Cook out for 95 - a good innings for his confidence.

Commonwealth Games taking up most of my TV watching at the moment, while I keep up-to-date with the Test Match on CricInfo.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

It's a bit quiet on this thread today.

A nice day away from the computer maybe!

Cook was bloody lucky to get 95, a fairly simple catch dropped that would have had him out in the low teens and he rode his luck throughout his entire score.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#30 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Very few players get to such scores without an element of luck I saw a fair bit of the innings but certainly not all of it. The riding his luck comment is wide of the mark.
Form is temporary , class is permanent.

#31 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Very few players get to such scores without an element of luck I saw a fair bit of the innings but certainly not all of it. The riding his luck comment is wide of the mark.
Form is temporary , class is permanent.

Don't get me wrong, I think Cook is one of the world's best current batsmen but this innings is probably the worst thing that could happen to him.  He needs to lose the captaincy and just be an outstanding batsman again, let someone else take the burden.  If he'd had another shocker of a game then he'd not have survived as captain for another game and could have gone away and sorted himself out, taking a winter off for a change then coming back to be the mainstay of the England opening pair for another 6-7 years that other nations would hate.  Instead, he'll shuffle on as captain for the rest of the summer and into the winter tour before probably doing permanent and irrepairable damage to himself and his game.

#32 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

I get the impression now that we have moved on from the point, and that your problem was with Cooky`s selection as opposed to yesterdays innings after all.

Certainly reading the twitter feeds of Flintoff,Vaughan, and even KP they were pretty impressed. As was Warne in commentary to be fair, who as we all probably know

has been outspoken about Cooky recently.

FWIW I really dont think it was ever likely that Cooky was going to be dropped as captain at any point in this series unless he resigned the captaincy.

I take your point that it can do players a great deal of good to go away and start building innings again at county level.

That said now that he has achieved this score I would hope his confidence is such to enable him to go on to greater things once again.

I would have to agree and jump on the bandwagon if you like of those who say there just is not a standout candidate to replace Cooky in the role as captain currently.

Perhaps that has saved him because nobody can deny he has struggled with the bat recently. 

#33 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I get the impression now that we have moved on from the point, and that your problem was with Cooky`s selection as opposed to yesterdays innings after all.

Certainly reading the twitter feeds of Flintoff,Vaughan, and even KP they were pretty impressed. As was Warne in commentary to be fair, who as we all probably know

has been outspoken about Cooky recently.

FWIW I really dont think it was ever likely that Cooky was going to be dropped as captain at any point in this series unless he resigned the captaincy.

I take your point that it can do players a great deal of good to go away and start building innings again at county level.

That said now that he has achieved this score I would hope his confidence is such to enable him to go on to greater things once again.

I would have to agree and jump on the bandwagon if you like of those who say there just is not a standout candidate to replace Cooky in the role as captain currently.

Perhaps that has saved him because nobody can deny he has struggled with the bat recently. 

I remember a few games playing rugby (both codes), albeit far below professional standards, where I was having a shocker mentally and got through by willpower alone hoping I wouldn't do anything too stupid, I knew I was having a shocker but just had to get through it.  That's what I saw in Cook's face yesterday, he knows he should have been back in the pavilion for a low teens score and that 99 days of batting out of 100 he'd never have made 50.  His face tried to hide it but his eyes look exhausted.

If there's no-one else to do the job then that's not Cook's fault.  Far better to give it to someone else who shows promise than ruin one of the best batsmen in England for good.  A great captain in good times may show that he's actually got massive flaws as soon as the pressure comes on, that's Cook in my opinion.

#34 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

We all know Cook is class, but he's been awful for too long. Anyone other than the skip would've been dropped. Yesterday's innings was what is was, a real tonic to a struggling batsman. But it was not that good to watch at all, and nowhere near the old Cook. He really should've been out for 15 and the pitch is benign to say the least. Putting his batting back together will take a few innings. What solution his captaincy has, I do not know.

A Fev Blog

#35 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I remember a few games playing rugby (both codes), albeit far below professional standards, where I was having a shocker mentally and got through by willpower alone hoping I wouldn't do anything too stupid, I knew I was having a shocker but just had to get through it.  That's what I saw in Cook's face yesterday, he knows he should have been back in the pavilion for a low teens score and that 99 days of batting out of 100 he'd never have made 50.  His face tried to hide it but his eyes look exhausted.

If there's no-one else to do the job then that's not Cook's fault.  Far better to give it to someone else who shows promise than ruin one of the best batsmen in England for good.  A great captain in good times may show that he's actually got massive flaws as soon as the pressure comes on, that's Cook in my opinion.

I cant really comment on your first paragraph as I have never played at a decent level at an older age,only playing for my London Borough as a youngster. And that was football.

I can see what your saying re its not Cooky`s fault re there being no obvious replacement but,throwing someone in to get on with it,hoping it pay`s off is a big risk.

#36 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

We all know Cook is class, but he's been awful for too long. Anyone other than the skip would've been dropped. Yesterday's innings was what is was, a real tonic to a struggling batsman. But it was not that good to watch at all, and nowhere near the old Cook. He really should've been out for 15 and the pitch is benign to say the least. Putting his batting back together will take a few innings. What solution his captaincy has, I do not know.

I agree in the current circumstances anybody other than Cooky as captain would have been dropped.

#37 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Bell's ton is welcome. As per all his career, his ton comes on the back of big earlier scores from team-mates.

Another quickish 100 runs or so, and get them in tonight??

A Fev Blog

#38 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

I suspect this game will end up as a high-scoring draw.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#39 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

I suspect this game will end up as a high-scoring draw.

Don't write off England for a second innings collapse.

28m391z.jpg

#40 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

This game seems to be lacking in atmosphere. We've had runs and wickets, but I'm finding it fairly boring so far.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users