Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cricket - England v India

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'm a big fan of test match cricket and often find myself engrossed in England games either on TV or via TMS, but having never played and never watched much in the flesh, one thing I've always wondered is.............

Do batsmen go out to bat "cold", having sat on the balcony in the dressing room padded up for potentially hours, or are they warming up on and off all day in preparation of going into bat?

#42 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,174 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm a big fan of test match cricket and often find myself engrossed in England games either on TV or via TMS, but having never played and never watched much in the flesh, one thing I've always wondered is.............

Do batsmen go out to bat "cold", having sat on the balcony in the dressing room padded up for potentially hours, or are they warming up on and off all day in preparation of going into bat?

AFAIK you can be "timed out" if you don't come to the crease within 5 minutes of the previous batsman getting out. Hence the next batsman in must wait, padded up, ready to bat at the drop of a hat. That would make it rather tricky to do a bit of batting practice on the side.

#43 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Yes, as NS says, you just sit there for hours waiting. Impossible to warm up, apart from walking to the middle. In an extraordinarily long stand, the next man in might get switched just to give him a break. But there has to be someone padded up watching and waiting.

A Fev Blog

#44 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

AFAIK you can be "timed out" if you don't come to the crease within 5 minutes of the previous batsman getting out. Hence the next batsman in must wait, padded up, ready to bat at the drop of a hat. That would make it rather tricky to do a bit of batting practice on the side.

Cheers, didn't realise you got as much as 5 minutes to be honest as there always out there fairly sharpish.  But did wonder, if in longer partnerships if you'd not get some nets in or perhaps not take the field from the dressing room, but from the nets or something, obviously not.

Having never played, I find it incredible guys can go from sitting on there behind for hours to heading straight out to face deliveries of 85-90mph.

#45 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

I think it's three minutes actually. (90 seconds in 20/20). But I'm not sure if it's ever happened. Very very rarely if ever.

Plenty of players have scampered on late, not fully attired though, especially when there's a clatter of quick wickets.

A Fev Blog

#46 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Back to this game,

What the flying f is Cook doing pootling about? Get some quick runs slogged and get them back in asap. Should've opened with Buttler.

A Fev Blog

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,456 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Some players sit and wait, some pace about and maybe play a few air shots... and Phil Tufnell would be probably asleep somewhere.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Tad late that declaration. I'd've followed on, but that's academic now.

10 wickets to go........

A Fev Blog

#49 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Did well last night and a good start this morning.

4 wickets to go.........

A Fev Blog

#50 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Did well last night and a good start this morning.

4 wickets to go.........

Game over, England win.

Now 1 win each in the series. Hopefully we will push on from here and see more of the same in the final couple of matches.

28m391z.jpg

#51 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Monkey/back removal completed. Let's hope we can push on from here.

A Fev Blog

#52 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,174 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

8 wickets for Ali. Not bad for an "occasional bowler". Essentially he won the match for England. You have to wonder about England's bowling attack. Conditions obviously suited spin but who was our spin bowler in the attack?

#53 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,107 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Moeen bowled a lot better without those wristbands resticting the circulation to his spinning fingers.

;)

Seriously, I bet the  decision to make him take them off got  both his dander  and  concentration up.

It was a misguided decision at best; the selectors never bothered when their captain Andrew Strauss was helping to raise money for the Conservative party.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#54 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,174 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Strauss and Ali can raise money or wear whatever they like off the field. On the field is another matter. If you let Ali wear a pro-Palestinian band then you have to allow for the fact that some other players may wish to wear pro-Israel ones. Keep it off the field.

#55 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,107 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Anderson has escaped a ban.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#56 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,845 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Strauss and Ali can raise money or wear whatever they like off the field. On the field is another matter. If you let Ali wear a pro-Palestinian band then you have to allow for the fact that some other players may wish to wear pro-Israel ones. Keep it off the field.

You can't even show a brand badge on field from a clothing manufacturer.  If a player's running late, loses his pads and has to buy a new pair on the way to the ground then he needs to tape over the manufacturer's name.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#57 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

You can't even show a brand badge on field from a clothing manufacturer. If a player's running late, loses his pads and has to buy a new pair on the way to the ground then he needs to tape over the manufacturer's name.

There was a time when players had to cover tattoos up. Pietersen's England crest on his upper arm was one such instance. I abhor tattoos but I think that if players want to display them so be it.

When Bill Athey batted for England in the mid-80s he had a tattoo of a Union flag on his left upper arm to face the bowler. This probably would be deemed as racist now.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 04 August 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#58 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Arguably this test starting today is more important than the last, so important for England to back up and go on and win the series.

A Fev Blog

#59 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,456 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Looking forward to it!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#60 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,456 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

India 8 for 3 already. One wicket for Broad and two for Jimmeh, who's fast closing in on Ian Botham's record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users