Dr K rips into Mcmanus

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Heard Dr K ripping into the Saints chairman on GMR tonight over comments he has about the Salford owner.

No messing from  Marwan with a strong worded response.

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Heard Dr K ripping into the Saints chairman on GMR tonight over comments he has about the Salford owner.

Were both of them on GMR or was it just Dr K having one of his little strops?  And what was it that McManus was supposed to have said?  Not the bit about calling him in the Saints matchday programme was it? 

#3 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Bit underwhelmed by the media's coverage over the marquee player seems to mimic the clubs response in blocking the proposal, brush it under the carpet.. MK is right, a remarkably unsophisticated approach by clubs in feeling threatened by it. Small thinkers being challenged and unable to step up to the mark. Shaun Wayne's comments about Wigan being happy with their academy policy only as if multi-approaches aren't valid, facepalm!!

Yet another opportunity for RL to hit it bigger gone by the wayside. 

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Bit underwhelmed by the media's coverage over the marquee player seems to mimic the clubs response in blocking the proposal, brush it under the carpet.. MK is right, a remarkably unsophisticated approach by clubs in feeling threatened by it. Small thinkers being challenged and unable to step up to the mark. Shaun Wayne's comments about Wigan being happy with their academy policy only as if multi-approaches aren't valid, facepalm!!

Yet another opportunity for RL to hit it bigger gone by the wayside. 

Majority rules, obviously the people with the money think they can't afford it.

We shouldn't let the richest man decide, and we certainly shouldn't listen to fans who want to spend other people's money.

#5 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Were both of them on GMR or was it just Dr K having one of his little strops?  And what was it that McManus was supposed to have said?  Not the bit about calling him in the Saints matchday programme was it? 

did not catch all the programme but Dr K was upset with Mcmanus using an anology and labelling the Doc as a peacock chasing publicity, he responded with a call for the Saints chairman to find another sport if he does not like his approach and to tell his detractors he here to stay.

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

did not catch all the programme but Dr K was upset with Mcmanus using an anology and labelling the Doc as a peacock chasing publicity, he responded with a call for the Saints chairman to find another sport if he does not like his approach and to tell his detractors he here to stay.

Yes, it was the comment McManus made in the matchday programme! :D

Dr K needs to take what McManus says with a pinch of salt.  We do!

Edited by Saintslass, 10 July 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#7 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Used to be best mates i believe,heard Mac introduced him to RL.

Also heard the Doc wanted to buy Saints,which Mac refused,since then relations have been strained

#8 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Yes, it was the comment McManus made in the matchday programme! :D

Dr K needs to take what McManus says with a pinch of salt.  We do!

No he doesn't.
People called Romans they go the house

#9 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

tail wagging the dog, again.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#10 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Big tail, small dog.

#11 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Used to be best mates i believe,heard Mac introduced him to RL.

Also heard the Doc wanted to buy Saints,which Mac refused,since then relations have been strained

I also thought they got on well with one another. Wasn't Koukash a guest at several of our matches or something along those lines?

I can't imagine there's much bad feeling in this one.

#12 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

We shouldn't let the richest man decide, and we certainly shouldn't listen to fans who want to spend other people's money.

Don't recall anyone saying marquee players would be compulsory if they are allowed. If Those with the cash and ambition can keep big named players in the game then they need to be given the opportunity. If they don't the Aviva, French Ru and the NRL await and are not getting any poorer.  Club owners are gathering other peoples money whenever they offer their team up as paid entertainers. We shouldn't let journeymen block important votes.

#13 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Nor really should we listen to someone with a vested interest in keeping wages low. 

#14 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

Dr K could buy every club and have change.  His point is very simple.  To attract more fans to every club we need STARS - no - not journeymen - STARS.   Billy Slater at Leeds.   SBW @ Huddersfield.  Jonny Wilkinson even @ Widnes.   Greg Inglis @ Saints etc etc .  We need to show the world that RL is THE game.  Somehow we need to pull out of this lethargic situation which employs 100+ Jobsworths  at Red Hall and put the money into attracting NEW fans to this great game.  A revolution is required & Marwan is the man to lead it.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

If Koukash knows so much, how come his mega-expensive team is nearer relegation than it is to the playoffs and plays to crowds about the size of that at Featherstone?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

If Koukash knows so much, how come his mega-expensive team is nearer relegation than it is to the playoffs and plays to crowds about the size of that at Featherstone?

Their crowds are up quite a lot this season and Huddersfield just found out that  they might be gelling as a team.

#17 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

Nor really should we listen to someone with a vested interest in keeping wages low. 

On this point, how legal is the salary cap? I suppose MK must have looked into that though, that'd be the easiest way around it!

Dr K could buy every club and have change.  His point is very simple.  To attract more fans to every club we need STARS - no - not journeymen - STARS.   Billy Slater at Leeds.   SBW @ Huddersfield.  Jonny Wilkinson even @ Widnes.   Greg Inglis @ Saints etc etc .  We need to show the world that RL is THE game.  Somehow we need to pull out of this lethargic situation which employs 100+ Jobsworths  at Red Hall and put the money into attracting NEW fans to this great game.  A revolution is required & Marwan is the man to lead it.

It's a tough one this. Can anyone explain the point of the cap? Is it to stop teams going under (which it has not done) or to make all the teams more even (which it has not done)? However, just going free for all would only seem to make each of those situations worse. The argument for getting rid of the salary cap only benefits one club more than it would have done five years ago. But they happen to be the club with the loudest owner!

I think in the case of SW, of course he is saying the present situation is fine. Wigan seem to have one of the best production lines, and will have spent a significant amount of money and time getting it that way. Why would he say 'yeah, let's let everyone circumvent that arduous process and buy their way to the top'? Even though I think wigan would be big hitters in an open market, that would (at the minute) seem to actually increase the competition at the top. I think at least Saints and Leeds, maybe Wire, would think the same.

#18 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

I don't think he is saying that he know the most about rugby league, I think he is saying that he knows more about running a business. To improve his crowds would involve investing more money, which he isn't allowed to do at the sharp end of matters...

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

we should let the clubs decide. They did so.

Fans are great at insisting owners spend loads of money, but then moan if tickets cost more than a tenner.

I trust that if the vote didnt go through then it was the right decision, surely voting rules are in place to stop individuals having too much say.

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Don't recall anyone saying marquee players would be compulsory if they are allowed. If Those with the cash and ambition can keep big named players in the game then they need to be given the opportunity. If they don't the Aviva, French Ru and the NRL await and are not getting any poorer. Club owners are gathering other peoples money whenever they offer their team up as paid entertainers. We shouldn't let journeymen block important votes.

dont understand your last line. Who are these journeymen blocking votes?

Perhaps, just perhaps it was the right decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users