Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

South Wales Scorpions

Team selection

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lapu Lapu Hun

Lapu Lapu Hun
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

I hope that we pick our strongest team with the fastest back to rack up a huge score because we need to improve our points differential. Ballard is also a must for his goal kicking. If poorer teams can rack up 50 or 60 points against them then we should do much better than that.

#2 LENIN

LENIN
  • Coach
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

got to agree

strongest team please

hunslet till i die

we will never go to watch the #### over the river ever

#3 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I am hoping that with the pitch being in perfect condition and it being wider, compared to the conditions we played in down there, we should come away with the points. We need to start putting performances together in build-up to the play-offs, we did it against Gateshead and should now be carried on to the end of season. Having said that i dont want to see players being greedy trying to score themselves and wasting opportunities to rack up points. If we use our centres and wingers more we will achieve this and it gives the team confidence, also we have to be solid in defence as a team, move up in a line so we dont give them chances to break through any gaps, looking forward to this afternoon, think Grimmer and Hood will be the key to Hunslets performance today ( providing Hoods playing, went off injured against Gateshead ).

#4 Lapu Lapu Hun

Lapu Lapu Hun
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

I am hoping that with the pitch being in perfect condition and it being wider, compared to the conditions we played in down there, we should come away with the points. We need to start putting performances together in build-up to the play-offs, we did it against Gateshead and should now be carried on to the end of season. Having said that i dont want to see players being greedy trying to score themselves and wasting opportunities to rack up points. If we use our centres and wingers more we will achieve this and it gives the team confidence, also we have to be solid in defence as a team, move up in a line so we dont give them chances to break through any gaps, looking forward to this afternoon, think Grimmer and Hood will be the key to Hunslets performance today ( providing Hoods playing, went off injured against Gateshead ).

You have made some very valid points there hunsletnewboy and I agree with them all. Play as a team and not individuals as we have done earlier and we could rack up 80 plus points.

#5 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Let's not get too carried away, I hate it when other teams dismiss us as easy beats, and am always wary when we start doing it.

#6 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

S wales were awful 2nd half.more composure and we would have got 90.hood Watson and Oakes again very good but to get promoted we need a scrum half who can do that little bit of magic.

#7 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 780 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Would anyone still like to argue that grimmer is a stand off?

#8 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Why would we want to argue with you we would have to take you serious first

#9 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Scored 74 points & Grimmer had one of his quietest games in a Hawks shirt, Hood & Watson simply unplayable today, Watson has to be first choice fullback. A good team effort and on another day could have got 100. Massive game in two weeks at Oldham. 2 games 100+ point scored 6 conceded a great platform to build on, all still in our own hands win ever game until now and the end of the season we top the league.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#10 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

You can only beat whats put in front of you and today we did just that but really the standard of the opposition was probably the worst ive seen in watching pro rugby for 50 years and that's including Runcorn in various guises, Donny who hardly won a game in the seventies and numerous new teams like Nottingham, Mansfield, Southend and Kent Invicta.On that evidence South Wales need serious help with recruitment of players and a decent amateur team would have racked up 20 or 30 against them.When a player gets tackled and plays the ball through his legs and no one is there then that team has major problems, I felt sorry for them today they were that bad.For us , it was little more than a training run with Hood,y cutting them to ribbons at will and Watto looking like Billy Slater at times. Oldham away next up will be a clearer picture of where we want to be and how/if weve improved.

Posted Image

#11 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 892 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Imagine what the score would have been if Grimmer had been on his best form !?!? Very, very easy indeed against a team, who it's clear to see why they are where they are in this league.

Yes we threw some chances away, but to be honest when you get that many some of them are bound to go awry. I made it 36 points in 18 minutes just after the break and it was beginning to look like 100 was possible, with South Wales looking utterly bewildered and out on their feet. I don't know where they got the will and the energy from to restrict us to just two tries in the closing quarter and for that they deserve a little credit.

Well done to Watson, Hood, Oakes and Wilson, the pick of a decent team performance. Aggregate score of 119-6 in the last two games suggests we are back in the groove, but as everyone says I think the next game at Oldham will tell us whether that really is the case.   

#12 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

13 tries and none from the wingmen, and none from the half backs.

From where I sat all we had to do was come down the middle.

#13 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

13 tries and none from the wingmen, and none from the half backs.

From where I sat all we had to do was come down the middle.

That aint the point, we should have scored 100+ past South Wales, am fed up with watching it go down the middle, they were very poor defencively, it was a great opportunity to throw the ball about out wide and try set plays whilst they had the chance, weve got centres who won't or can't pass to wingers and in tight games we will come unstuck because decent teams can defend against our plays and will be tight in defence in the middle of the park (York twice). I was impressed with the support play but at the end of the day i wont be getting too excited with the result, i have constantly seen overlaps on the right hand side of the pitch and it either goes the other way or put a kick in, our more experienced team members should be able to see whats going on and address the problem otherwise we will be in the same division next year. If the fans can see it then theres a serious problem if the players can't see it. This should also be highlighted by the coaching staff.

#14 Hunslet Miner

Hunslet Miner
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Watson & Hood were outstanding today. Ballard's Kicking was also very good. Liam Hood playing from dummy half did just about everything right. Good long accurate passes and devastating scooting runs when the opportunity allowed. Minor concern is that he went off with what looked like a ham string problem. No game for Hunslet next week, so he has two weeks to get fit. Might not be a popular thought, but I would have put one of the Coyle brothers on the bench to give them match time to try and build his confidence.

The big show down next week is Oldham away to York. It will be interesting to see what kind of shape Oldham are in after that game, which I expect to be a very hard encounter for both teams.

Looking at the league 1 table, if Gloucester beat Gateshead next week, then mathematically we have qualified for the play offs.

#15 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I would have put both coyles on the bench, the one outside the stadium was empty !

#16 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I thought Hood was man of the match. At the start of the season, we were moving well and winning easily. The wingers were scoring most of the tries, now they hardly get the ball at all. It's okay winning by bustling tactics, but in the harder games, the space is out wide. We have some big overlaps at times but the ball is held infield. It needs a couple of long passes to get it wide, but our back three of Broughton, Oakes and Mackay have no vision and die with the ball.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#17 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

At one point Grimmer had 4 players to his right against 2 defenders and he had time to look to see what was on, but he kicked it, we should be reading situations a lot better than what we are doing to break teams down otherwise we will lose close games at the wrong end of the season (platy-offs).

#18 Neverumind3

Neverumind3
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Wow we score 74 unanswered points and people are moanin that the wingers haven't scored, do u wan Lewis reed to stop when he's broke through on half way and pass it out to an outside back.

To say the wingers don't get try's is rubbish

Akidare 6 apps - 7 tries
Ballard 9 apps - 8 tries
Our best wingers in my opinion

Mapals 9 apps - 8 tries
Hunslet newboy 10 apps - 4 tries

Also maun top try scorer with 9

I agree with gabby a little but when we are in our own half I would rather us stay safe and not go for the wonder ball, and then really it's down to are half backs to spot the overlaps in attack. We play the wedge type play a lot where a front runner goes through which is generally the second row and the half backs/full backs round the back to pass onto centre or winger

Jimmy Watson was my mom if only he was always that consistent

#19 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

The fact that no winger, and only one three-quarter (Wilson) got over the line is an indication of how poor the opposition defence was down the middle. If Hood, Oakes, Reed, or whoever gets the ball, looks up and sees a yawning gap in front of him, he isn't likely to look outside for someone to pass to!

There are valid comments on here (my personal biggest gripe was Ansell kicking when there were options outside him - happened at least three times) and as some say it obviously won't be as easy against Oldham and York. But it's a little churlish to be overcriticising after a 74-0 win.

#20 new orleans hawk

new orleans hawk
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Well I enjoyed bing back at the game yesterday. My first one in over 2 years. Good win, some good rugby at times but only one time did I hear the fans chant. Where has the atmosphere gone. Good to see some old friends again. See you all in another 2 years. Lol
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users