Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

South Wales Scorpions

Team selection

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Really enjoyed it Sunday and the beer, but we didn't quite get to the 86 - 4 score I predicted on Facebook. I also predicted Watson would get 5, but 3 is close and he did have 1 disallowed and if Wilson passed the obvious off load in the second half it would have been 5.

Hoody was also class and causes mayhem every time he plays. If there could have been a joint MOTM it would have been today.

Close contenders were Oakes and Wilson but I feel Wilsons work rate needs to increase if he is to take that position long term.

Maun had a brilliant first 20 minutes then things went quiet that side so would have thought Wilson would have pipped him in team of the week. Especially with him getting a brace.

A strange selection with Kainy on the bench. No disrespect at all but why put a FB/winger on the bench instead of a SR or PF? He got up to play three times I saw then got returned to the bench. Perhaps the wingers or centres were carrying a knock and he was cover - but we don't know that. I thought he would have gone to hooker to give Hoody a break.

Interesting times for the FB role with Kain, Elliot and Watson all putting their hands up for next year (subject to contracts) and of course they could bring someone in.

Agree with the comments about not throwing the ball wide. You would have expected a hat trick from both wingers today. But had little to do. When we play York and Oldham if we don't do that we will be In trouble.

Look at Mo Agoro (winger at Oldham) he wasn't particularly outstanding in the Rhinos academy but they get the ball to him at Oldham and he is one of the top scores in the league.

#22 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

so far this season- tries scored  111  -- backs  63-- forwards  48.

#23 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

I am not moaning after a 74-0 win, but just highlighting a problem we have which will probably come to haunt us by the end of the season (I hope i'm proved wrong), yes wingers have scored tries this season but that is mainly down to the quality of opposition, no disrespect meant to the other sides. We had the same problem last season and we got relegated, got loads of bonus points and in my opinion had we passed the ball out wide to put the wingers in, then i believe we would have won a few of the close games and maybe stayed up. This season when we've played York (twice) we have come unstuck because we go down the middle, just because we won easily against South Wales it doesn't mean we're okay, you address and iron out any problems you have in your game, to improve as the season goes on, just like your more accomplished teams do. We have at times passed the ball out wide and has been attractive to watch, but all too often when we have gaping overlaps we don't take the chances. If we were to get promotion, then we need to prepare for next season as there will be fewer chances to score, therefore we need to make the most of every chance we get otherwise we will be the South Wales of the championship.

#24 poolhawk

poolhawk
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Gutted I missed this game, but coat of travelling from Hartlepool every week is not cheap, spud a like we we're out standing, over the moon with the win.

Hopefully if I get my transfer to the Sheffield branch, I'll be coming to a lot more home games, a won't miss games like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users