Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Rugby League Family - (quiet day on the boards)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

No chatter on the this or the featherstone forum about the game on Sunday. We are quiet they are more concerned with shareholdings, loans, finances, ground developments and new investment than a game of rugby league against Swinton.

Over the last two years I have struggled with the SPORT of rugby league. The game has always been built on a friendly and healthy rivalry (the rugby league family) or so I had believed. Recent events regarding DR, loan withdrawals, P&R, my grounds bigger than your ground, SL disputes. I am tired of it and it has affected my enjoyment of the game.

First off Rugby League is a 'Sport'. A great sport, a competitive sport, the best spectator sport but it is also a minority sport. What Rugby League cannot be, is run on the principals of business whereby the aim is to obtain a financial advantage to the detriment of competition. In business the aim is to remove the competition and obtain a dominant/controlling position in the market. Sport, by comparison, needs competition as it's life blood. It is the very nature of sport.

So whilst the self interest, scramble for financial reward, charge for Super League and 'bitter' rivalry continue in a minority sport, the game will suffer. And we will suffer with it. Crowds dwindle and not I believe due to supporters financial constraints.

Our own predicament is concerning but has been exasperated by business elements of the sport. Looking broader the fall in attendances around the leagues tell me something is wrong. The sport must remain financially secure but it must remain sport.

So I look forward to each game with optimism and a heavy heart.

All for one and one for all?

Fin, the end.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Well put LLM.
There is a culture of "it's ok if it's my club" which I hate
There is a selfishness and bitterness and a conspiracy theory around the simplest of issues
The discussion of the game itself pales into insignificance in comparison to debates over who pays Kevin Pennys wages in 2014 compared to 2012 and 2013.
I think the eternal battle between the optimistic and pessimistic rages on
I for one look forward to every match but find my enjoyment dwindles as each stupid comment pecks away at my head!

Anyway! Roll on tomorrow. Let's hope we can turn it on

#3 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

Paul Rowley - “You could if you wanted to take it to the extreme, have a Super League coach who dislikes a Championship coach, manipulate their partner club on that week to achieve a result".

My faith in the game has fallen further after the above comment. Surely such petty personal tiffs would not affect the sport Mr Rowley?

Oh.....maybe they already have!

Pathetic.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#4 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Nothing would surprise me anymore, it now seems to be the case of "I'm alright Jack" and stuff everyone else attitude from some clubs which is disgraceful and will ultimately drag these clubs down with the clubs that they are attempting to surpress.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#5 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

Paul Rowley - “You could if you wanted to take it to the extreme, have a Super League coach who dislikes a Championship coach, manipulate their partner club on that week to achieve a result".

My faith in the game has fallen further after the above comment. Surely such petty personal tiffs would not affect the sport Mr Rowley?

Oh.....maybe they already have!

Pathetic.

Same man who disagreed with D/R but loans were fine. Fill your boots with loans was his quote, then sees his ###### and calls his lads back!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"