Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Todays Game

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

All very quiet tonight. I think there was effort there but we must stop sides from scoring straight after the break if we are to settle into a second half pattern.

#2 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

The try we conceded on half time seconds after we'd got back into the game was a killer.No doubting the effort but unfortunately Featherstones speed at the play the ball and ball movement across the line were too much for us.Looking at the remaining games and on what I've seen in the games since Watto departed I can't see another win.

#3 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

I agree the effort is there - no one can doubt that.............Mike Morrison was absolutely shattered when he came off, we missed a couple of scoring chances excluding the disallowed try that may have made difference, but again cannot let the opposition score simple tries and expect to win matches.

It looking interesting for the teams above Sinton, namely Workington and Whitehaven both had good wins - I think Keighley are now in mix for the drop as it were.

All I hope for is with a settled side they will gain confidence and improve and win a more matches..............

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

Definitely got the makings of a good team with some talented youngsters like Atkin
Just need a couple of old heads to steer them all around

#5 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Rovers were just stronger than us today. Some good signs but we just couldn't contain them when they got on a roll. Simple!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#6 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

Featherstone look a bigger, stronger and fitter team than us. For a long time they looked pretty average but when we visibly tired second half they took advantage.

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

Rovers were just stronger than us today. Some good signs but we just couldn't contain them when they got on a roll. Simple!

Don't mention it but they've so many full time super league loanees and dual registration players it puts us to shame

#8 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Good few players worked really hard yesterday and worked their back sides off especially in defence as that's what they had to do for most of the game. However a few need to have a look at themselves for being lazy, unfit and letting their team mates do the tackling for them!! Some players left everything they had on that field at full time those being Morrison, Menzies, Ackers and the hawkyard brothers but a certain few couldn't tackle a warm dinner!!

#9 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Featherstone look a bigger, stronger and fitter team than us. For a long time they looked pretty average but when we visibly tired second half they took advantage.

Yes Fev have been very average for 5 years now;

#10 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Highlight of the match for me was recognising another leaving spectator as Lions late '60s prop Cumbrian Graham MacKay.

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I'd say since 1983 Phil ;)

#12 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Probably looked more average against Hornets last week!

#13 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Think we really need to grab at least 1 'out and out' centre. Ed Barber is wasted out there and Mick Nanyn is clearly still not fit!

#14 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Probably looked more average against Hornets last week!

Wish we had have looked remotely average last week against Hornets but one thing is for sure there aint much between any of the clubs on a given day.....even Leigh got stung yesterday and they looked head and shoulders above the rest of us; Good luck though in all seriousness...I remember when Swinton were head and shoulders above the rest of us and its swings and roundabouts; There have been times in FEVs history when things haven't looked so rosy and given recent events it looks like we will be taking a step back to be able to move forward again;

#15 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

hopefully the Lions will roar loud again SOON.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#16 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Both sides made a lot of errors first half. For a side challenging at the top I expected more from your lot. Your class (and fitness) told in the end but you were pretty flat for the first half an hour of the game.

Looking at the programme, other than Penny we've hardly scored a try on the wing this season. It highlights our weakness in the centres who lack a bit of pace.

#17 Mark T

Mark T
  • Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Both sides made a lot of errors first half. For a side challenging at the top I expected more from your lot. Your class (and fitness) told in the end but you were pretty flat for the first half an hour of the game.

Looking at the programme, other than Penny we've hardly scored a try on the wing this season. It highlights our weakness in the centres who lack a bit of pace.

Pretty fair assessment Colin. We had a 5/10 min purple patch which put the game out of reach for you but we were very nervy throughout, even the fans have lost their voices as we generally create a good atmosphere at away grounds. As for challenging at the top, sadly the club has been through significant turmoil over the past couple of months with a change of coach and thankfully a stop to the interference from the board room with the departure of Faisal. We are second but unless performances improve we will finish 4th. Shame about some of the comments on this board but hey ho... I do hope you stay in the division and build for next season.

Edited by Mark T, 15 July 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#18 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Sorry for the negativity but our centres lack a bit of everything Colin. Last year our backs were let down by an under-performing pack (until the latter part of the season), this year our pack is being let down by an under-performing back line. Our budget can only stretch so far and weve yet to find the right balance!

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#19 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

I reckon our side is only missing a scrum half, centre and a winger and we would not be fair of the playoffs. 

The pleasing factor for me as I played second row when I was younger, our pack are immense and i would go as far to say apart from Leigh our forwards have matached most sides if not dominated them.

I was also thinking would I move Barber to second row, he is built like a forward but got movement and hands of a back.

#20 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

I reckon our side is only missing a scrum half, centre and a winger and we would not be fair of the playoffs.

The pleasing factor for me as I played second row when I was younger, our pack are immense and i would go as far to say apart from Leigh our forwards have matached most sides if not dominated them.

I was also thinking would I move Barber to second row, he is built like a forward but got movement and hands of a back.

He played in the pack when he first came and scored about 5 tries in 2 games!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users