Has this season been as bad as 2005

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

To me this season has been just as bad as the disasterous 2005 season (one win in 18).

Views and opinions ?????

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#2 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

I was on the BOD in 2005, Lee. I went to every game that season and it was truly dreadful. The match that stands out in my mind was our visit to Castleford. Now that was men against boys. The club was so full of hope after the final game at Dewsbury in 2004.

Hopefully my memory is correct but it was a long time ago.

Posted Image

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

I was full of hope at the start of this season Michael !!!!

Lee Morton

#4 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

2011 we had Darren Holt as Coach who was not appointed until December and between Darren and Mike Sunderland they put together a local team and as far as I recall Darren predicted the number of wins at the start of the season and was pretty much spot on and we enjoyed watching a season of good rugby with a close run result

2012 We had Darren Holt as coach who continued with a tight budget and again predicted the number of wins for the season and was spot.

2013 The directors sacked Darren with a years contract money left to pay and also sacked at the end of the season without a replacement in mind.  The Directors appointed  Anthony Murray in October and a team was put together which has proven to be simply not good enough for the league we were in. Murray leaves part way through the season and Bobby Goulding appointed, a number of new guys brought in and yet results remain very similar.

2014 BG wanting a 3 year signing as coach and announces that he is looking at local un proven as yet players for the following season.

With 5 teams relegated this year and only the top two back up next year the club needs the best players available and affordable to ensure a shot at going back up.

were did it go wrong  

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#5 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

personally I think Darren did a fantastic job

Edited by morty, 14 July 2014 - 11:33 AM.

• D11 likes this

Lee Morton

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

You need to give Goulding the big boot before next season. The man is an egotistical joke - as epitomised by his 'I never retired on my terms' comeback and '4 + 3' squad number. Now he's even talking about his buddy Jowitt turning out next Sunday.

Go with Peter Roe next season - if he's still willing to take the job. He'd bring you straight back up without a shadow of a doubt. Well respected within the game, an excellent record of identifying and then developing players from the amateur ranks, and an understanding of both the local area and the club itself.

Posted Image

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

I honestly don't understand why Holt was sacked it's a baffling decision.

He had a similar number of unproven players in the side and managed to keep the side up aswell as getting us promoted the season before.

What were the actual reasons as to why he was sacked?

#8 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

I think Lee's point was comparing 2005 with 2014. With respect Neil you only talked about the last 2 or 3 years. The situation regarding the Club is totally different now. A great deal has happened between those 2 years.

Posted Image

#9 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

yeah we seem to have drifted off topic !!

Lee Morton

#10 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

yeah we seem to have drifted off topic !!

Yes your right but maybe a new topic is required as the importance of the future of the club

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

First season I can remember was in 2004 and at the end of the season I was so excited for 2005. I didn't go to any away games but all the home games were woeful. There was a little bit of hope in a home game against Castleford, I was sat in the stand and I think we were 22-16 up and a Cas fan said Barrow were playing very well and out enthusing them. Cas turned it up a gear and went on to win 32-22 in the end.

#12 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Its been a huge let down this season, especially after the way we finished last season. Very frustrating to be so far behind our Cumbrian rivals who thrive on crowds of 600-800 whilst we average around 1200. We clearly haven't recruited well enough for this league and have suffered some dreadful defeats to sides we would have competed with or beaten last season. I really hope we go about things properly next year and that our loyal supporters can start to enjoy the games again ! I think the entrance fee needs to be lowered slightly for next season to entice fans back and keep them coming back to support what will hopefully be a winning side ! On the coaching front, I just hope the BOD make the right decision, one which will give us stability and success !!!!!

Posted Image

#13 concerned fan

concerned fan
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

You need to give Goulding the big boot before next season. The man is an egotistical joke - as epitomised by his 'I never retired on my terms' comeback and '4 + 3' squad number. Now he's even talking about his buddy Jowitt turning out next Sunday.

Go with Peter Roe next season - if he's still willing to take the job. He'd bring you straight back up without a shadow of a doubt. Well respected within the game, an excellent record of identifying and then developing players from the amateur ranks, and an understanding of both the local area and the club itself.

I have to agree with The Terminator. What has Goulding achieved since taking over as Head Coach? He has spent a lot of good money after bad bringing in quite a few players. He has been in charge long enough now to have turned things around but has still only won two games. All these players he has brought in are obviously not any better than what we already had so why waste money on them. The money could have been saved for recruiting next season. Now he is saying he is going to recruit a lot of young un-proven players next year. Is that not what happened this year? Where did that get us? We need experienced players to stand any chance of being promoted.

#14 TRADER

TRADER
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

I can remember the win at Dewsbury to give us the league title and promotion back in 2004, what a great away day that was. We then failed miserably to recruit the right players and after a bit of promise early on got smashed to pieces in every game till the end of the season and the crowds dropped dramatically. When Des took over I could never really agree with his desire to get into the Super league as I enjoyed being in the Championship and with a good squad competing each week let's face it that's our level. This season has been truly depressing and in some ways worse than 2005. Wether Bobbie is the right man for the job to get us back up is another thing after being full of optimism when he first came that has now been slowly eroded when all he seems to do is blame AM every week for the squads short comings. We play NWC at home in a couple of weeks so that should be interesting?

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have to agree with The Terminator. What has Goulding achieved since taking over as Head Coach? He has spent a lot of good money after bad bringing in quite a few players. He has been in charge long enough now to have turned things around but has still only won two games. All these players he has brought in are obviously not any better than what we already had so why waste money on them. The money could have been saved for recruiting next season. Now he is saying he is going to recruit a lot of young un-proven players next year. Is that not what happened this year? Where did that get us? We need experienced players to stand any chance of being promoted.

The gulf between the Championship and Championship 1 is absolutely massive. With the salary cap being as low at it is we are going to have to blend a mix of amateurs with quality talent to get out of this league. We can not sign 24 experienced players on contracts and keep under the cap.

Our amateur base and local players will be a huge plus for us next year. Any good players at the clubs coming down will more than likely be poached by other clubs as the standard of the Championship will once again increase. Realistically we will have to have at least 15 local players if we want to sign experienced out of towners to take us out of the division so no doubt the amateurs will be needed. I'm sure there is many capable of stepping up.

This squad was never going to stay up, we could of had Craig Bellamy in charge and we would of gone down. Burke, Bullock, Briscoe, Jones, Morrison, Grant, Speakman, Lloyd, Turner, Palmer, Brookes, Marwood have all not played more than 30 games at Championship level prior to the start of this season. That is well over half our squad which just was not going to compete when other sides were focusing hard on recruitment.

Fair enough he is brought in some players but we would of needed 8-9 higher bracket Championship players to even have a hope of staying up. The squad has lost confidence and it just doesn't have the experience to compete.

We will judge BG on next season. He clearly has the enthusiasm and it's great that he has the local game in mind.

#16 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

My biggest concern over Goulding is that he seems quite prepared to give his retired, 40 year old buddy a game against one of his former clubs in order that he's able to take some sort of twisted 'revenge' against them for sacking him as coach. If I were a Barrow fan, I'd be pretty narked that my club was being used in this manner. It certainly casts a shadow upon Goulding's own motivations for making a comeback in his 40's. Has he really got the club's best interests at heart - especially after stating that he was reigniting his own long extinguished playing career because he hadn't retired on his own 'terms'? Nah, not at all.

Picking Jowitt - which sounds like his plan, would be utterly indefensible.

Posted Image

#17 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

2011 we had Darren Holt as Coach who was not appointed until December and between Darren and Mike Sunderland they put together a local team and as far as I recall Darren predicted the number of wins at the start of the season and was pretty much spot on and we enjoyed watching a season of good rugby with a close run result
2012 We had Darren Holt as coach who continued with a tight budget and again predicted the number of wins for the season and was spot.

2013 The directors sacked Darren with a years contract money left to pay and also sacked at the end of the season without a replacement in mind. The Directors appointed Anthony Murray in October and a team was put together which has proven to be simply not good enough for the league we were in. Murray leaves part way through the season and Bobby Goulding appointed, a number of new guys brought in and yet results remain very similar.

2014 BG wanting a 3 year signing as coach and announces that he is looking at local un proven as yet players for the following season.

With 5 teams relegated this year and only the top two back up next year the club needs the best players available and affordable to ensure a shot at going back up.

were did it go wrong

lol take your tongue out of his a***.

He lost the dressing room that is why he had to go.

Your constantly going over old ground. Boring (yawn)

Edited by Flaming balls, 14 July 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#18 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yes your right but maybe a new topic is required as the importance of the future of the club

We'll start your own topic instead of high jacking every topic with the same old tripe.....

Let's see how many replies you get...

#19 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

To me this season has been just as bad as the disasterous 2005 season (one win in 18).

Views and opinions ?????

2005 was horrendous, but we went into games knowing we were going to get beat.

This year we've been going into games thinking were going to win and coming away with the loss :-(

I don't know which is worse to be honest.

#20 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Deleted post. Sorry, wrong board!

Edited by Tom Coates, 14 July 2014 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users