TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Will the Broncos be swallowed up by the Championship?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#41 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Finding a home is the real problem. ..
cant see a champ side matching their academy and because of this they will have hungry players waiting to prove themselves in a lesser environment. ...

how many fully pro clubs will they be competing against?

Bradford and Leigh?

If so they should make the top 4 but no more...

like mentioned if they settle at a ground/facility( and funding is still provided)with a couple of years yoyoing they will be back at the top table!

#42 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

At the moment i'd say next years top 4 will be

Bradfford

Leigh

London

Then a toss up between Fax & fev

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

At the moment i'd say next years top 4 will be

Bradfford

Leigh

London

Then a toss up between Fax & fev

That's  possible but Batley, Doncaster, Dewsbury and, at a push Haven and a Sheffield returning to form might all just have something to say about that.

#44 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

That's  possible but Batley, Doncaster, Dewsbury and, at a push Haven and a Sheffield returning to form might all just have something to say about that.

It would be fantastic if those clubs turned out to be genuine challengers,but i think they need to go fully pro and i dont see that happening.

The clubs i mention will be the wealthiest clubs in the league to start with and will be looking for average attendances of 3500 + over the season,unfortunately the clubs you mention will do well to average 1500 at best

#45 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

I'm looking forward to watching London next season. I think the second division will be really exciting with some real atmosphere. I can see the number of away fans being high for some games due to the nature of the league "every game counts".

If London squeeze into the top 4 theyll only have to win their home games to get back into SL (on the understanding that second div clubs get the extra home game).

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,890 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Not sure if it's already been mentioned somewhere, but it seems Denny Solomona has signed for Cas.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm going to quote from Dave Hadfield's book 'Up and Over' -

'One thing I do know is that , if you took the Broncos out of the equation, the level of interest in the sport in national newspaper offices in and around Canary Wharf would plunge like a computer being thrown out of a 28th-floor window'.

#48 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 736 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

'One thing I do know is that , if you took the Broncos out of the equation, the level of interest in the sport in national newspaper offices in and around Canary Wharf would plunge like a computer being thrown out of a 28th-floor window'.

I think Hadfield's wrong. The level of interest from the national press is low already.

Who are these journalists who only put RL in the papers because the London Broncos are in SL? Oh yes, take away that SL powerhouse that plays in front of around 1,000 diehard souls and we'll stop writing about rugby league. 

#49 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

It would be fantastic if those clubs turned out to be genuine challengers,but i think they need to go fully pro and i dont see that happening.

The clubs i mention will be the wealthiest clubs in the league to start with and will be looking for average attendances of 3500 + over the season,unfortunately the clubs you mention will do well to average 1500 at best

I don't see what the attendances have to do with it. Success on the field is what we are discussing and, going from recent seasons as well as this one, those teams are capable of causing upsets and beating the top clubs or even capable of upsetting the apple cart and forcing their way into the 3 x 8 league.

Your list of clubs is the most likely scenario but the clubs I mentioned are indicative of the parity existing in the Championships and the top four might not be as locked in as you think. That's all I am saying. 

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Well, unfortunately, that's how the cookie has crumbled and there is no one to blame but the Broncos themselves for their predicament.

#51 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

The Broncos announce they are going to Full Time next year. I personally don't think this is a wise move with the structure and foundations they have at the moment. A year or two pushing their youngsters through rather than chasing the so-called holy grail of gold is a better move. I thought they were at the Hive long term. Is this incorrect?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#52 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

. I thought they were at the Hive long term. Is this incorrect?

The club seems to think that they have a deal to use the Hive for the next two years. In Broncos' terms, this is long term. Some Broncos fans seem to think that Barnet want Broncos out. No way of knowing what the truth is.

#53 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

. I thought they were at the Hive long term. Is this incorrect?

Keep up!!!

#54 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

[quote name="Northern Sol" post="2960033" timestamp="1405525568"]The club seems to think that they have a deal to use the Hive for the next two years. In Broncos' terms, this is long term.

Not really. 6 years at the stoop. 4 years at Griffin Park?

#55 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

I think Hadfield's wrong. The level of interest from the national press is low already.

Who are these journalists who only put RL in the papers because the London Broncos are in SL? Oh yes, take away that SL powerhouse that plays in front of around 1,000 diehard souls and we'll stop writing about rugby league. 

But we don't know whether it will disappear completely once the Broncos have gone from Superleague.  And I'm not just talking about the national press.  In a city the size of London, the local press can be of significant influence.  The Broncos and rugby league have featured in the Standard and in the free paper on a regular basis.  Will that continue when there is no top flight representation?  Only time will tell.  Will Radio London continue to cover rugby league without top flight representation?  Again, only time will tell. 

Here in the north west of England we have a slew of top flight clubs.  They are the ones that get radio coverage and local press coverage.  They don't often get a mention on BBC Look North West mind, but the Championship clubs get no coverage at all, except perhaps a passing mention on Wish FM (Leigh do anyway).  If we didn't have so many SL clubs in the north west, we'd lose what little coverage we get as a sport in the region.  How much harder is it to imagine a sport which is very much in the minority in a city like London still getting any reference at all once there is no top flight representation there?  Not really very hard at all IMO.  Personally I think all reference to the game will disappear from the London scene once the Broncos have gone.  If that reference goes from the local press there is no hope of any reference to it in the national press unless they all move their HQ to Media City.

#56 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

The Evening Standards coverage of the Broncos was largely driven by a marketing agenda . The Broad sheets in the south generaly give a good coverage of League here in the Capital. The Broncos failure has largely gone unnoticed in the Capital. There doesn't seem to be an appetite for a London team in the ESL here.

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I don't know whether anyone has listened to it this week, but Ian Ramsdale's latest Rugby League Down South podcast discusses the Broncos, including any impact of their relegation on the media (with the rugby league man from BBC Radio London), with the General Manager at Broncos, Andrew Henderson (incoming assistant coach) and the kitman whose input actually brings home just what an impact the Broncos have actually had.  (There is also an interview with the coach of South Wales Scorpions, as they come under the umbrella of 'down south' in a podcast context)

It's well worth a listen for anyone really interested in the perspective from the south:

http://www.spreaker....ated?autoplay=1 

#58 Southern Reiver

Southern Reiver
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

My source has not fed me bad information about the club and I see no reason why they would start now. Kleanthouse has made it clear that the arrangement for 2014 is not acceptable in 2015 and fundamental changes need to be made. If you doubt this, then fine, but I have been pretty much spot on in regards to most of the activity (sic) surrounding the club for the last 4 years+. If you'd care to go back and examine my posts from when the "2 year" deal was announced, I think you'll find I said then that it was 1 year with an "option".....but the sad state of the club made too many of the fans too uber-grateful to notice or care at the time.

The RFL bunged the Hive a "marketing budget" as an incentive to take us in......they have no need to sweeten the pot this time around, so it's cash up front from either Hughes or the central funding parachute payment that AK wants....not 500 or so fans paying 15 quid to watch 2nd rate RL.

Brave new dawn? No wonder the useless ##### MacKay sloped off with his tail between his legs once it became obvious the fans weren't buying his particular brand of male genitals.

Just because you don't want it to be true and because you can't "see proof" doesn't make it any less true......or have you not noticed the stone cold silence from the club on the matter?

I asked you to evidence the specific statement that you made that Kleanthus "isn't interested in any deals".

#59 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

I don't see what the attendances have to do with it. Success on the field is what we are discussing and, going from recent seasons as well as this one, those teams are capable of causing upsets and beating the top clubs or even capable of upsetting the apple cart and forcing their way into the 3 x 8 league.

Your list of clubs is the most likely scenario but the clubs I mentioned are indicative of the parity existing in the Championships and the top four might not be as locked in as you think. That's all I am saying. 

Attendances matter because of the extra revenue they'l bring in.

The odd result that donny,worky or rochdale have had this season has been great to see but unless one of the top 5 clubs makes some terrible decisions then i'm struggling to see any other club challenging for proper money or honours

#60 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

[quote name="Northern Sol" post="2960033" timestamp="1405525568"]The club seems to think that they have a deal to use the Hive for the next two years. In Broncos' terms, this is long term.

Not really. 6 years at the stoop. 4 years at Griffin Park?

It was just a joke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users