Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

North Wales 18 Dewsbury 22 - discussion, report, highlights

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Good to see the Rams fans at the Rock today. Obvoiusly I'm not so happy about the result but I thought you deserved the win as we gave away too many penalties and too many unforced errors. Unfortunately I could have cut and pasted that remark from the last 3 games. We just don't seem to be learning from our mistakes.

Ever the optimist I'm not conviced we are down yet and can still fight for 9th place - its a tough ask but not impossible.

Thanks to the Rams fans for travelling to see us today. We hope you enjoyed your visit and had a safe journey home.

Phew! Thanks for that 'gogledd' Just got home after a brilliant (but rather long and tiring) day, but I wanted to say thanks to you and your fellow supporters for a cracking day. I really need to get some rest, but first I had to say that. I'll be back tomorrow though.  :yes:   

Edited by Ossy, 20 July 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#42 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Seem to be having problems running the video - is it just me ?

#43 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

I struggled as well seemed to stop a couple of minutes in. Got there in the end though. Good looking ground.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#44 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Good to see the Rams fans at the Rock today. Obvoiusly I'm not so happy about the result but I thought you deserved the win as we gave away too many penalties and too many unforced errors. Unfortunately I could have cut and pasted that remark from the last 3 games. We just don't seem to be learning from our mistakes.

Ever the optimist I'm not conviced we are down yet and can still fight for 9th place - its a tough ask but not impossible.

Thanks to the Rams fans for travelling to see us today. We hope you enjoyed your visit and had a safe journey home.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit Gogledd, although my team seemed to be doing their best at times to mar that enjoyment. This was the friendliest club that it has ever been my pleasure to experience and you are all a credit to the game.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#45 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

In the absence of Ossy's report which will arrive in due course here are my brief views on the game.

We were fortunate to escape with a victory, yet should have won comfortably. In these conditions this was a match that would be won by the team that retained possession and at times we failed to respect that. Crusaders looked dangerous when running the ball but, fortunately for us, dropped far too much ball especially in the second half, reminiscent of their visit to Owl Lane earlier in the season. We scored a couple of very good tries, notably Karl Pryce's effort, together with some scrappy ones. We conceded four very frustrating ones, all deriving from mistakes when we had possession; I know that this is worrying for GM as he said so on the radio afterwards, and how can a coach be expected to teach experienced players to catch, pass and concentrate? He must surely believe that they have these qualities already.

It was very hot and must have been very tiring (there were no water breaks, which I thought had been mooted when we began the summer RL experiment) and the players can't be criticised for effort. In many cases they looked absolutely drained by the end and, I suspect, one or two are still carrying injuries that would heve kept them out normally. There are times when some players attitudes must be questioned, however. In particular there are a couple who seem to think the rules should apply differently to them, acting like stroppy 15 year olds when a decision goes against them and mouthing off at the touch judge for decreeing that they had transgressed. Holding down is holding down and when you try to make out that you are stuck and can't get away, when everyone else in the ground knows what you are doing, helps nobody particularly your own team-mates. Following this up with petulance diminishes you in my view. Stop acting like a clever teenager and become the professional RL player you should be and you will be the better for it.

Tommy Gallagher had another big game and certainly caused consternation amongst the opposition whenever he had the ball. Thackeray had a pretty good game but could have taken on the line a bit more: attempted grubbers on a ground with a 3m in-goal were difficult to get right. Sherrif had a mixed first half then spent the second on the naughty step in the dug-out and looked less than pleased when leaving the pitch at the end; it looked as if words had been exchanged at half time. Grady is wasted at second row and got much more chance to be infuential when switched to the centre in the second half. Dowes continues to impress me with the small things that are easy to overlook and worked hard when on the pitch. The rest of the pack worked consistently hard.

Mr Hewer once again had his part to play in keeping the crowd entertained and their lungs healthy. He didn't favour any one side but definitely baffled both at times. Overall I don't think that he had any effect upon the outcome.

Another win on our steady march towards safety and the play-offs.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#46 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

North Wales Crusaders 18 Dewsbury Rams 22 - match report: http://www.dewsburyr...le.php?id=13135