Cabinet Reshuffle (renamed thread)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Ken Clarke resigns. Hague gone as well , he is stepping down as an MP at the next election.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#2 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,164 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

The "old lags" are going to be replaced for the last 10 months by women in order to stop the criticism that there aren't enough women in the cabinet. One of those being promoted is Esther McVey who strikes me as a particularly nasty piece of work, even for a Tory.  I also think that Cameron is looking to stop Osborne who he feels is getting a little too powerful.

Edited by Trojan, 14 July 2014 - 09:29 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,096 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

The "old lags" are going to be replaced for the last 10 months by women in order to stop the criticism that there aren't enough women in the cabinet. One of those being promoted is Esther McVey who strikes me as a particularly nasty piece of work, even for a Tory.  I also think that Cameron is looking to stop Osborne who he feels is getting a little too powerful.

ester McVey said a couple of weeks back that;

"we're all going through tough times right now'. Er 'We'?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Cameron is putting women into the cabinet to attract female voters at next year's election. The sort of political expediency you'd expect from a former TV marketing manager and his acolytes, and the public are likely to see it as just that.

Clark's been ready to go for a few years; he wasn't one of the Notting Hill set and wasn't driven in his support of the cause.

Hague's going is a surprise; as he's staying in the cabinet, I shouldn't think threre's anything sinister about his resignation. He's guaranteed a lucrative life as a speaker, author and pundit.

Gove has gone into Number Ten early and it will be interesting to see where he goes. He's been a disaster at Eduction, but he's one of the Notting Hill set. As for his private life; I reckon he's only so bombastic in office because, at home, he's scared of his wife. 

Baroness Warsi to Europe?

I have heard a dubious rumour about Miliband's private life; he is actually capable of boiling an egg.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,096 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Cameron is putting women into the cabinet to attract female voters at next year's election. The sort of political expediency you'd expect from a former TV marketing manager and his acolytes, and the public are likely to see it as just that.

Clark's been ready to go for a few years; he wasn't one of the Notting Hill set and wasn't driven in his support of the cause. I'm not aware of any rumours about his private life.

Hague's going is a surprise; there has been the odd rumour about him but, as he's staying in the cabinet, I shouldn't think threre's anything sinister about his resignation. He's guaranteed a lucrative life as a speaker, author and pundit.

Gove has gone into Number Ten early and it will be interesting to see where he goes. He's been a disaster at Eduction, but he's one of the Notting Hill set. As for his private life; I reckon he's only so bombastic in office because, at home, he's scared of his wife. 

Baroness Warsi to Europe?

I have heard a dubious rumour about Miliband's private life; he is actually capable of boiling an egg.

so men vote for men, and women vote for women. I see

Keeping it local

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

Yup. And it proves politicians think we're all gullible morons.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Thatcher stayed in power on womens' votes.

Cameron has got to work hard on his government's image as a public school old boys club. Whether this latest wheeze is successful, we'll have to see. Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the British public.

Personally, I think he needn't have bothered .... he's up against a dead duck in Clegg and an out-of-his-depth mammy's boy in Miliband.

I'll bet UKIP is also looking for some credible female candidates to attract wavering women voters. It too is seen as overtly masculine and administed by middle aged blokes down the pub.

I'll be watching the final year of this Parliament with interest and discussing it down the pub.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

I think Hague has been quite badly treated, he's done a very good job as Foreign Secretary and has given a quiet, stately performance in the role that has done Britain proud.  While the rest of his party is doing its very best to make us pariahs in even our ally countries, he's been building relationships and putting a very positive foot forwrd.

See? I can praise a Tory who is doing a good job...

I'm disappointed that Cameron didn't take the opportunity to weed out the trolls in his party like Gove and Hunt.

Only this week that cretin Hunt has set up the building blocks for another PR stunt and dig at Europe.  He's planning to charge EU nationals 125% of the cost of NHS treatment, directly against the aims of the EHIC scheme where each EU national is guaranteed treatment at the same "cost" as a local would get.  The only reason he wants to do that is to release some "facts" about all these furriners coming here and taking our NHS funding, completely ignoring all the UK ex-pats and tourists who rely on EHIC and take local state funding in their EU country of choice.

Then there's Gove who hit out at striking teachers who are counting the cost of yet another year of under-inflation pay rises.  Those under-payments build up, especially when other essential costs are going up by over inflation.  Are they supposed to just doff their caps to their Tory overlords for being so kind as to actually keep schools running instead of re-purposing them as workhouses?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#9 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Gove has been an unmitigated disaster as Education Secretary. That said, if Cameron loses the next election, Gove will run for leader and get a lot of support from the Tory right.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Gove has been an unmitigated disaster as Education Secretary. That said, if Cameron loses the next election, Gove will run for leader and get a lot of support from the Tory right.

Can you imagine Gove as Tory leader?  He'd make Miliband and Clegg seem like world statesmen.  A perfect way to drive out the moderates still hanging on to their Tory vote.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

A bit of positive news just out on the flashing ticker on telly:  Gove out as Education Secretary and moved to Chief Whip, a role that he'll probably hate because it's not going to get his Pob-like face on telly very much.  Quite canny politics by Cameron in moving a potential opponent to a powerful but hidden role.

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,096 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

A bit of positive news just out on the flashing ticker on telly:  Gove out as Education Secretary and moved to Chief Whip, a role that he'll probably hate because it's not going to get his Pob-like face on telly very much.  Quite canny politics by Cameron in moving a potential opponent to a powerful but hidden role.

so who's got the education gig I wonder?

Keeping it local

#13 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

The problem is though, that most people will probably feel like me in that any more women or minorities added to the cabinet now will simply be removed after the next election if the conservatives get a majority (or even hold sway with a minority government). Then it will be business as usual and back to the old boys from Eton et al club.

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,096 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

The problem is though, that most people will probably feel like me in that any more women or minorities added to the cabinet now will simply be removed after the next election if the conservatives get a majority (or even hold sway with a minority government). Then it will be business as usual and back to the old boys from Eton et al club.

quite

this move is so crude and the motives so obvious, that what you say is certain to happen. 

Keeping it local

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

It's interesting to see the Telegraph sticking the boot into Hague.  Then they have this bit in it:

This is not to say he has been lazy. Hague has been on a vast number of overseas trips (itself, perhaps, a sign of his disillusion with Westminster) and has worked hard to repair relationships with countries ignored by the last government.

If that's not the job of Foreign Secretary then what is?  Cameron and his pet Cleggie steal all the visits to the bigger countries, a visit to the US will have Cameron kicking everyone out of the way to get in a photoshoot with Obama.  If there's the merest hint that defence will be discussed then the Defence Minister gets sent instead of Hague, same with the other wannabes in the Cabinet trying to usurp the Foreign Secretary's role to get a jolly abroad and their picture with a foreign head of state.

Especially in the Middle East, Hague has been quietly trying to restore relationships with formerly friendly countries that we've annoyed badly for the last decade or so.  He hasn't sought headline coverage of it, just a quiet, civilised drive to promote Britain and normalise our relations.  He's been hampered of course by Blair pretending he's a peace envoy out there and has done his best to ignore Blair at all times.

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Another Telegraph article suggesting they've lost the plot.

Mr Gove has been a great Education Secretary

If someone had posted that on this forum then I'd be accusing them of trolling.  And I doubt I'd be convinced by any excuses of "honest opinion".

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

I  have to say that I was shocked and stunned this morning when I found that a political party had done something to try to secure re-election at the General Election.  I mean to say, that is something completely new.

I expect Hague will soon be back at McKinsey. As for Gove as Chief Whip, easy peasy. After all, if he had 450,000 of the nations finest, hardest working, most dedicated, altruistic, selfless heroes and heroines of this forum cowering with fear, just think what he'd do to a few recalcitrant MPs.   

Ooh what a give-away..the left reveals itself by threatening people who don't share your view of Gove?

#18 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

I  have to say that I was shocked and stunned this morning when I found that a political party had done something to try to secure re-election at the General Election.  I mean to say, that is something completely new.

I expect Hague will soon be back at McKinsey. As for Gove as Chief Whip, easy peasy. After all, if he had 450,000 of the nations finest, hardest working, most dedicated, altruistic, selfless heroes and heroines of this forum cowering with fear, just think what he'd do to a few recalcitrant MPs.   

Ooh what a give-away..the left reveals itself by threatening people who don't share your view of Gove?

And yet... as shown by ckn's link, the right wing press (particularly the telegraph) is also having a go at them.

BTW I haven't seen anyone threatened on here because they disagreed with someone else's assessment of Gove. Have the mods, tidied it up already or is this just the winner of the strawman argument of the week award?

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,096 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

is Iain Duncan Smith still in post? He's probably the most incompetent, hypocritical, despicable one of the lot

Keeping it local

#20 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,650 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

And yet... as shown by ckn's link, the right wing press (particularly the telegraph) is also having a go at them.

BTW I haven't seen anyone threatened on here because they disagreed with someone else's assessment of Gove. Have the mods, tidied it up already or is this just the winner of the strawman argument of the week award?

No the mods haven't tidied anything up on here with regard to comments about Gove.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users