Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Barmy Army

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

‘On the Road’ with The Barmy Army!

Living on the edge of Ilkley Moor as I do, it’s a bit of a trek even to get in to The Rams Stadium for the home games, but over the years it’s become a habit I find hard to break. (And yes I admit that I have tried to break it… though thankfully I failed!) Away games can be even worse, though they do have one thing in their favour and that’s The Barmy Army Bus.

It’s not everybody’s cup of tea – an early start and a late finish, and more alcohol than I can handle these days, but for me the company makes it all worthwhile. Haven’t been much of a drinker for some years now if I’m being honest, so I’m not really sure why they put up with Sheila and I, but for some reason they do, and I’m glad of it. Not only do they have their own bus and their own flags, but they also have friends on every ground in the league, and Sunday’s trip up to Whitehaven was typical of the adventures they have when following their side.

Motorway service areas aside, our first stop on this trip was Last Orders in Penrith, hardly an appropriate name I felt, given the fact that only now was our day starting to get under way. Still we got a warm welcome there, and probably tarried a little too long before finally setting off for the match. Still we made it for the kick off… just… and got a good game for our trouble, even if we did lose a game I thought we could, and should, have won :O(   

You’d be surprised just how long you can make a glass of Guinness last if you put your mind to it, but then I wanted to talk to the players – see how they felt the game had gone. Poorly was the general opinion, we made too many mistakes and paid for them, but that’s the game I guess.

Don’t ask me how long we stayed. The Army slaked it’s thirst, renewed old acquaintances and made new ones for the future while I chatted to the players, emptied my glass and finally hid away in the bus to make a start on the match report. At least, that was the excuse I used!

For some reason the return trips always seem to need more ‘comfort’ breaks, though on this trip we also needed to pay homage to ‘The Herdwick Tup’ at Cockermouth, (you’ll need to see the photo for an explanation of that one.) It’s strange how often the unexpected always seems to happen on these trips, and this stop gave us another one when a second bus pulled up at the roundabout to disgorge some of the Workington squad fresh from their victory at Keighley.

Of course we had the usual arguments and disagreements during the journey home, but it all ended with the usual ‘see you next week’ which in our case is a two day trip to Crusaders in North Wales.

Come on you Rams, we’ll definitely be looking for a win here.

Attached Files

#2 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

We dont need to put up with you OZ your one of us. Youve as much right to be on the bus as anyone.

#3 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

I can't get the pics to work, Ossy. Can you message me them on Facebook and I'll run a piece on the site. Cheers!

#4 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Tom, are you going over Saturday to match mate?

#5 ramsfandan

ramsfandan
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

i hope a few going sunday lets get behind lads (Y)

#6 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Can't 'cause of work unfortunately, Chris. My mum and dad are going though!

#7 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Its like the cast of cocoon on those photos - i take it the younger end prefer an even barmier bus.

Edited by buford t justice, 22 July 2014 - 06:34 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Its like the cast of cocoon on those photos - i take it the younger end prefer an even barmier bus.

What do you mean? That is the younger end!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

What do you mean? That is the younger end!

Ah i get the barmy bit now, all slightly senile and most probably think they are on a jolly to the coast every Sunday!
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#10 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

Just think there even older at Hunslet, Hemel, South Wales but you will discover that next season.

Edited by EQUALIZER, 23 July 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#11 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Ouch

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#12 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Just think there even older at Hunslet, Hemel, South Wales but you will discover that next season.

Think only one promoted from Champ 1 tranquilliser so you must be mistaken!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#13 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

#14 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

Does this mean you cant or wont survive in the lower tier. Dont worry soon be time for the B.A to put the 300 club in its place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users