Academy Accreditation 2014

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Interesting reading..........................

First Utility Super League club Academies are performing at an all-time high, results published in the annual Academy Accreditation assessments for 2014 show.

The independent assessments, which are now in their fourth year of operation, show another healthy increase in the quality of the player supply for both the Super League and England programmes at all levels.

Since 2007, club Academies have produced seven full England international players and 31 England Knights players.

** But what is the actual percentage return against numbers that have been through the system during the same period? **

** If you average it at 300 players per season over 7 seasons then its 0.33% for Full Internationals and approx 1.47% for England Knights **

In that time, 205 players have progressed from club Academies to make their Super League debut, with 33 percent of these having already made more than 30 appearance in the sport’s elite competition.

** Approximately 9.75% have gone on to make their SL Debuts **

** So less than 1 in 10 actually make SL? Is that a good return given the investment/funding applied to Performance? **

RFL National Player Development Manager Paul Medley said:  “We are happy with the results of the Academy assessments as they demonstrate a continuing improvement over a significant period.

“The Academies are judged by an independent panel who take into account a number of factors throughout the assessment process, ranging from the improvements in facilities and systems to the strategy and vision of individual Academies.

“Player welfare and educational options open to young players are also looked at – 320 young players now have a qualification in the Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence, for example.

“We are growing a strong foundation for the future of our sport, things are moving in a positive direction and we are very pleased with the improvements made on last year’s assessments.

“Clubs are putting a strong focus on developing young talent through their own ranks, and this has led to Super League developing some of the best facilities in the world.

“To have 38 players since 2007 going on to earn international honours is a fantastic achievement: there is a lot of hard work that goes on behind the scenes that not many people know about.

“I would like to congratulate all clubs and their hard working staff for their efforts, which sometimes go unrecognised.”

http://media.therfl....tation 2014.pdf

Edited by LordCharles, 15 July 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

On the way you position the stats:

Surely it wouldn't be a whole new 300 players per year - this would increase the percentage drastically. 

Also, that stat overall is a bit of a strange one, as there are obviously limited opportunities, plus having young players behind the likes of Graham, Roby, Hall, Morley, Peacock, O'Loughlin for England doesn't necessarily mean failure.

#3 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

On the way you position the stats:

Surely it wouldn't be a whole new 300 players per year - this would increase the percentage drastically. 

Also, that stat overall is a bit of a strange one, as there are obviously limited opportunities, plus having young players behind the likes of Graham, Roby, Hall, Morley, Peacock, O'Loughlin for England doesn't necessarily mean failure.

I have attempted to be lenient given that there would have been far more than 300 registered academy players per season for the last 7 seasons, so have considered new players coming in, against players being released and those that remain.

ie - 14 x 30 = 520

Hence my question about "Actual percentage return".

In reference to SL debutants........we are either not producing them or they are not getting the opportunities due to overseas players etc......either way the figures are the RFL's not mine.

Edited by LordCharles, 15 July 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I have attempted to be lenient given that there would have been far more than 300 registered academy players per season for the last 7 seasons, so have considered new players coming in, against players being released and those that remain.

ie - 14 x 30 = 520

Hence my question about "Actual percentage return".

In reference to SL debutants........we are either not producing them or they are not getting the opportunities due to overseas players etc......either way the figures are the RFL's not mine.

I was under-estimating the numbers as squads of 25 (320 per year) with some years us being down to 12 clubs. I was also thinking that many players would stay for 2 years at Academy level (not sure if that is accurate) which if it is would halve the numbers.

If a club has around 175 players through it's top Academy age group over a 7 year period, is debuts for around 17 of them good? Be interesting to know what the required levels are.

#5 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

I think it's good that clubs are held up and benchmarked against each other as it gives them a real tangible view of how well they are doing, and the public nature of the scoring puts pressure on the clubs to focus on improving their scores. However, the public scoring does also throw up the inevitable controversy/questions, particularly when we are only privy to one paragraph of limited information relating to each club e.g. the Leeds Rhinos scoring looks to be very strange. Inevitably, you raise more questions than you answer when you release this limited amount of information and so it'd be good to know more details on why Leeds academy is performing so much worse than it was last year and why it isn't as good as (for example) Widnes?

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

I think it's good that clubs are held up and benchmarked against each other as it gives them a real tangible view of how well they are doing, and the public nature of the scoring puts pressure on the clubs to focus on improving their scores. However, the public scoring does also throw up the inevitable controversy/questions, particularly when we are only privy to one paragraph of limited information relating to each club e.g. the Leeds Rhinos scoring looks to be very strange. Inevitably, you raise more questions than you answer when you release this limited amount of information and so it'd be good to know more details on why Leeds academy is performing so much worse than it was last year and why it isn't as good as (for example) Widnes?

the paragraph does state issues with coaching qualifications so suggests this is te reason for the drops.

#7 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

I was under-estimating the numbers as squads of 25 (320 per year) with some years us being down to 12 clubs. I was also thinking that many players would stay for 2 years at Academy level (not sure if that is accurate) which if it is would halve the numbers.

If a club has around 175 players through it's top Academy age group over a 7 year period, is debuts for around 17 of them good? Be interesting to know what the required levels are.

Whilst Academies work off say 30 registered players at any one time within a season, they can utilise various methods/contracts to register and play more than said 30 in a season, some academies could utilise up to 40 players within any season as a result.

So I go back to my original statement that the figures/percentages need to be accurately quantified to understand the ratio of players coming through the system who then make it and debut in SL, before earning International honours.

That said, my personal opinion is that if players are correctly identified in the first instance, developed through the Elite Pathway and clubs give them the time, resources to support to reach their peak potential, then we should realistically be looking to gain a return of a 15%-20% convertion ratio of players through the system against SL debutants to class it as a successful model.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Whilst Academies work off say 30 registered players at any one time within a season, they can utilise various methods/contracts to register and play more than said 30 in a season, some academies could utilise up to 40 players within any season as a result.

So I go back to my original statement that the figures/percentages need to be accurately quantified to understand the ratio of players coming through the system who then make it and debut in SL, before earning International honours.

That said, my personal opinion is that if players are correctly identified in the first instance, developed through the Elite Pathway and clubs give them the time, resources to support to reach their peak potential, then we should realistically be looking to gain a return of a 15%-20% convertion ratio of players through the system against SL debutants to class it as a successful model.

what is that 15-20% based on? Does it happen in any other sport, what is the benchmark?
Btw, genuinely interested in this, not trying to be obtuse.

#9 Winslade

Winslade
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Interesting reading..........................

First Utility Super League club Academies are performing at an all-time high, results published in the annual Academy Accreditation assessments for 2014 show.

The independent assessments, which are now in their fourth year of operation, show another healthy increase in the quality of the player supply for both the Super League and England programmes at all levels.

Since 2007, club Academies have produced seven full England international players and 31 England Knights players.

** But what is the actual percentage return against numbers that have been through the system during the same period? **

** If you average it at 300 players per season over 7 seasons then its 0.33% for Full Internationals and approx 1.47% for England Knights **

In that time, 205 players have progressed from club Academies to make their Super League debut, with 33 percent of these having already made more than 30 appearance in the sport’s elite competition.

** Approximately 9.75% have gone on to make their SL Debuts **

** So less than 1 in 10 actually make SL? Is that a good return given the investment/funding applied to Performance? **

RFL National Player Development Manager Paul Medley said:  “We are happy with the results of the Academy assessments as they demonstrate a continuing improvement over a significant period.

“The Academies are judged by an independent panel who take into account a number of factors throughout the assessment process, ranging from the improvements in facilities and systems to the strategy and vision of individual Academies.

“Player welfare and educational options open to young players are also looked at – 320 young players now have a qualification in the Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence, for example.

“We are growing a strong foundation for the future of our sport, things are moving in a positive direction and we are very pleased with the improvements made on last year’s assessments.

“Clubs are putting a strong focus on developing young talent through their own ranks, and this has led to Super League developing some of the best facilities in the world.

“To have 38 players since 2007 going on to earn international honours is a fantastic achievement: there is a lot of hard work that goes on behind the scenes that not many people know about.

“I would like to congratulate all clubs and their hard working staff for their efforts, which sometimes go unrecognised.”

http://media.therfl....tation 2014.pdf

#10 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

what is that 15-20% based on? Does it happen in any other sport, what is the benchmark?
Btw, genuinely interested in this, not trying to be obtuse.

The first thing the ACADEMICS will do is say that other sports have a ratio of xxxxx and will then just apply it to RL and declare it success if we are in line with any other sport!!!

Personally I prefer to just concentrate on RL and how we develop talent as an individual sport against the talent pool that is available and progressed through the elite talent pathway, relative to the applied resources and expertise that manage it.

Based on my own experience, if talent is correctly identified, developed and supported by the appropriate infrastructure within an elite environment then achieving a ratio of 1 in 6 or even 1 in 5 players that come through that system who are capable of going on to make their SL debut is the benchmark we should be looking to achieve.

300 players per season would produce a return of 50 SL debutants to a 1 in 6 ratio, divided by 12 would see each SL from 2015 onwards produce 4 home grown SL debutants per season as an average.

The existing ratio is possibly less than 1 in 10, which equates to approximately two players per club based on the above from 2015, or a total of 24/25 per season.

Edited by LordCharles, 15 July 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#11 Winslade

Winslade
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Is the problem with this reasoning though the size of the pool of juniors ? If a club had only 100 juniors to chose from, compared to say 10,000 in it's local area, it would almost certainly get a low percentage return on the number of SL players it produces (unless you accepted a significant fall in standards). 

#12 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Is the problem with this reasoning though the size of the pool of juniors ? If a club had only 100 juniors to chose from, compared to say 10,000 in it's local area, it would almost certainly get a low percentage return on the number of SL players it produces (unless you accepted a significant fall in standards). 

If you take certain SL clubs as examples then they pull players in from any area of the UK at Academy level, so to a degree the size of the local talent pool becomes irrelevant, but I do take your point as it is possibly very relevant to some SL clubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users