Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Donate stand builder

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Just seen the option on the official site store to make donations towards the completion of the new stands , think ile be donating the tenner i would have put towards going to our next away game , much rather give it to a great cause to help our volunteers than give other clubs it . especially when it comes to the fax and leigh games .

Edited by dydo, 15 July 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#2 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Her's another one. Lots of us have paid £50 for a brick. Instead of individual bricks, how about one plaque to the Rovers supporters. That should save a bob or two.

#3 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Its a good idea, but its the same people putting money in, and its not a massive pool. We still need to explore outside funding for me, hopefully with better results.

#4 old big red

old big red
  • Facebook
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

What if the club donate £100 of B shares to the volunteers to raffle of at £5 a pop might make a bob or 2 if it possible

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

When Steve Evans and I used to run the golf tournament we raised big funds for the Foundation. How about all the Sponsors entering a golf team each. Entry would be around £300 a team. Raffle tickets £10 each during the tournament. Various prizes and a cup for the winners. We also had nearest the pin tournaments and a good time was had by all. This event was held at Pontefract Golf club. They were happy as they sold drinks and meals. All we need is a golf club member (as Steve was) to arrange. I did the paper work and looked after the score cards and raffles. It could work and raise a good sum for the Rovers. Wanted a GOLF CLUB member to start the matter off and arrange a date.

#6 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Why not get in touch with the bbc about the programe that helps finish off good projects for the communaty am sure tbey would be surprized at the fantastic work done by the volantreers over tbe last few years and the age of them too i take my hat off to you all by the way they help with going out and getting stuff donated to help with the project and just think of the publicaty for us and the town

#7 Leigh24.7

Leigh24.7
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

, think ile be donating the tenner i would have put towards going to our next away game , much rather give it to a great cause to help our volunteers than give other clubs it . especially when it comes to the fax and leigh games .

Great idea???? . I would hope that Fax & Leigh fans thought the same and not turn up in their hundreds for the return fixture. I'm sure your board would welcome that idea.

#8 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Great idea???? . I would hope that Fax & Leigh fans thought the same and not turn up in their hundreds for the return fixture. I'm sure your board would welcome that idea.

Before you jump on your high horse ,the idea was a one off to fund the stand completion over our next few away games ,with the leigh and fax games attracting a good few hundreds away support .not a game of ###### for tat over future seasons .

Edited by dydo, 17 July 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#9 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Great idea???? . I would hope that Fax & Leigh fans thought the same and not turn up in their hundreds for the return fixture. I'm sure your board would welcome that idea.

The fixture switch for the Leigh game to Friday will knock considerably more from Fev off the gate than dydo's 'idea' ever would.

#10 mavisrileyfanclub

mavisrileyfanclub
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

Dydo,  only thinking about donating the tenner rather than not attend the next away game is not a commitment. By adding 'especially Leigh and Halifax' it does suggest your mindset is a tad spiteful and just before you get on your high horse, in your first post you make no mention of suggesting others do the same you only raise it in response to Leigh24.7 comments in an effort to justify your ill thought post I woulod suggest.

I presume that all money is welcome but diluting the strong away support especially at Leigh and Halifax may well be counter productive.  So, maybe you should go but forego the pies and beer and donate that money to the good cause of improving POR for home and away supporters.

#11 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Dont think Halifax brought 100 fans to the game this year

Edited by LOWFIELD, 18 July 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#12 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Dydo,  only thinking about donating the tenner rather than not attend the next away game is not a commitment. By adding 'especially Leigh and Halifax' it does suggest your mindset is a tad spiteful and just before you get on your high horse, in your first post you make no mention of suggesting others do the same you only raise it in response to Leigh24.7 comments in an effort to justify your ill thought post I woulod suggest.

I presume that all money is welcome but diluting the strong away support especially at Leigh and Halifax may well be counter productive.  So, maybe you should go but forego the pies and beer and donate that money to the good cause of improving POR for home and away supporters.

You're being a bit presumptuous on the pies and beers arn,t you ? did you think about that before you posted ,or is it just me that posts ill thought posts as you say?.

Did I say it was a commitment ? , as for suggesting my mind set is a tad spiteful ! :jester:   

Edited by dydo, 18 July 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#13 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Getting into the usual negative comments. How much is needed? That is the starting point. Then we can go on. Various ideas then need the agreement of the management. Organising is another thing. let's get positive.

#14 mavisrileyfanclub

mavisrileyfanclub
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

You may not be a pie and pint man but my comment was made in the bounds of probabilities of what a supporter may have by way of refreshment (check the  Bars and Pie Hut this Sunday at POR).  A few may well be soft drinks and tea or coffee lovers.

I do support the idea of donating to the Volunteers at POR to allow them to continue the stirling work to a successful conclusion.

My point was that you appear to be advocating not attending away games and making a donation based on what you save by not going.  This would deprive the Rovers of the renowned away support and I have suggested by forgoing some or all of your refreshments (whatever they may be) and dontating that saving to the Club Volunteers.

So the question is now that you have thought about donating this tenner by missing the next away game or possibly them all what's it to be and are any others considering following your lead.

A tenner donated for not going good for the funds

A tenner donated by going and missing out on your refreshments good for the funds and good for the away support.

#15 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Did you join the forum and make your first 2,near midnight posts just to pull holes in a suggestion , which i RIGHTLY or WRONGLY thought would give us a quick cash injection off the top of my head . because i wont be making any more in case someone like you decide to twist it in negatve ways ,im finished on this particular thread cos personally im getting a bit ###### off

#16 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,956 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

It's all a matter of choices glyn. Its your cash to spend EXACTLY how you wish. Neither I or any other bug ger has a right to tell you how you should spend your cash.
There have been the odd occasion when I wasn't able to go to away games. I have my "rugby budget" and if for some reason I have some money left over cos I haven't been to an away game I'm happy to give it to the club in one form or another!
Rovers away support has been phenomenal these last few yrs, no small thanks to gloom's efforts!
Away attendance at post office rd has by and large been rank!
If you choose to opt out of traveling away and donating the cost of that ticket towards standbuilder.... fair play to you. I aren't going to criticise thi! Some will of course but I would with a huge degree of certainty, suggest that this would not bother you one iota. :lol:

Edited by Robin Evans, 19 July 2014 - 09:19 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#17 mavisrileyfanclub

mavisrileyfanclub
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

I am not sure why you feel the need to respond in this fashion.  

You have posted on here and had a response from myself and Leigh24.7.

I do not believe that my posts are offensive or negative,  on this FORUM

As for not making any further suggestions for fear of someone giving an alternative viewpoint that is entirely up to you.  Myself I will continue to post on or other domains as appropriate and will quite happily read and take on board other peoples comments as I consider myself to be open minded to other viewpoints and with reasoned argument can accept a change of view.

Regarding the timings of my posts, I'm not sure it has any relevance but I work shifts and on nights I have a good ninety minutes of down time which I fill with some emailing, internet surfing, on line shopping (ordered a lightweight rain jacket at 00:12hrs), old fashioned newspaper reading and the odd crossword,  I do hope that is okay with you.  This post you will notice is an a.m. posting due to the fact that I do not work weekends.

If you choose to take offence then that is what it is, your choice!

#18 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

The topic was raising money to finish the stand. We are getting into personal arguments which doesn't help in achieving this objective at all. Of course you can spend your own money as you wish. It would be interesting to know how much is needed to end the project, and post FN if the management have any plans or ideas.

#19 1945 onwards

1945 onwards
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I agree with the above comments about the sum required. What still needs to be done and the estimated cost might raise more interest than a simple plea for money.

#20 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Far from being a financial wizard or a project manager, I would forecast that the stand finances and go-forward should be our priority.

Please do not let us follow other clubs and have a skeleton of a deserted stand in place for many many years.

As JC states, let us obtain an estimate of costs coupled with a time scale of events, sit down and work out all the details and possibilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users