Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Coaching kids to do offloads in the right places at the right times

offloads off risky

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi

I coach kids of around age 10 and I'm trying to think of way to tell them not to offload so much as its costing us tries and mistakes.

There are one or two kids in particular which are guilty of trying it at every opportunity even it it means no extra yardage gained.

Has anyone any advice on how the kids should decide whether to offload or not? Of course, I don't want to stop them trying it but not at every opportunity.

Any advice please or rules that should be followed please.

Kind Regards

David

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Probably something they will have to figure out themselves,you can teach them to offload but there are so many variables in a game it's difficult to replicate them in a training situation.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hi

I coach kids of around age 10 and I'm trying to think of way to tell them not to offload so much as its costing us tries and mistakes.

There are one or two kids in particular which are guilty of trying it at every opportunity even it it means no extra yardage gained.

Has anyone any advice on how the kids should decide whether to offload or not? Of course, I don't want to stop them trying it but not at every opportunity.

Any advice please or rules that should be followed please.

Kind Regards

David

David  ;)

I would'nt worry about it, I would focus on the following with kids at 10 years old................

Grip, Catch, Carry, Pass.

Communication & Organisation

Tackle - Front on, side on

If they can do all that as individuals and as a group/team effectively and correctly before they are 12/13 years old then you have done a hell of a good job.

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

As LordCharles says make sure they are proficient at core skills first before worrying about more complex aspects of the game.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 15 July 2014 - 08:52 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

Thanks again for trying to drill your advice into me!!! lol. Would you say and have you seen it where teams have won without doing any offloads?

I'm going to promote the Communication side of it tonight as a way of saying that offloads shouldn't be necessary if everything else is done well - would you tend to agree with that statement?

#6 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

taxi.jpg

#7 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks - I will keep drilling it in that off-loads are costing us about 1 Try or more on average per game.

Cheers

Dave

#8 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

I would like to say a massive thanks to every ones comments in my posts over the last few days - the thanks really deserves a Post all of its own. You have all definitely helped me to raise MY standards and taught me so much.

I'm now in contact with 2 other clubs for my son who deserves much better at surprisingly little extra financial cost. I'm happier and I have no doubt that my little family will be happier as a result. I really don't think we'll look back within a few weeks time.

Without you all, I would be still worrying how am I going to make my sons rugby better. I'd still be talking it over with my wife driving her mad!! Getting more and more frustrated with the whole set up.

Heres sending some love out to you all!!

Enjoy the game tonight massively!!!

Cheers

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users