NCL Open to options on playing season

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

At last nights NCL meeting it was noted that they are open to options on the playing season and any proposals need to be submitted prior to the September meeting.

However, it was also noted that should clubs wish to revert to a traditional type playing window (Sept-May) the £50,000 travel funding from the RFL would be withdrawn!!

Make of that what you will, but probably only equates to about £1,000 per club and perhaps is not as significant as first thought in the grand scheme of things if revenue/turnover increases as a result of more players playing regularly, more spectators watching and an increase in bar takings. (Average of £35 a week maybe?)

Will be interesting to see/hear any proposals and how the clubs and NCL management look to move forward as a result.

Edited by LordCharles, 15 July 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#2 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

So the four seasons what's best for the game as gone out of the window if the funding is a pre requisite to staying march to November when is our flagship league and clubs going to make a stand for the community game ?

#3 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

So the four seasons what's best for the game as gone out of the window if the funding is a pre requisite to staying march to November when is our flagship league and clubs going to make a stand for the community game ?

I thought the same myself in reference to the £50,000 travel funding.

How can it only apply if the NCL clubs stay within a March-November season?

Which begs the question what criteria need to be met for the NCL and its clubs to recieve the funding outside of playing in a March-November season?

Also, if the funding is withdrawn as a result of a change in playing season, where will it be reinvested within the Community game?

Makes a mockery of any process or criteria and highlights the lack of support from the RFL to embrace their own 4 season's approach!!!

#4 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Would they pull support for the referee's also?

I think it is a positive having neutral out of town referee's in the conference. I would almost be inclined to tell the RFL to poke the money!

#5 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Would they pull support for the referee's also?

I think it is a positive having neutral out of town referee's in the conference. I would almost be inclined to tell the RFL to poke the money!

No doubt it will enter the politics at some point if the NCL and their member clubs appear serious about a return to a traditional playing window of Sept-May.

#6 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Bit of a different take on how things might work within the minutes of Monday's NCL meeting............ :O

MINUTES 

From a meeting of National Conference League Club Delegates held in the Function Room, Leigh Miners Welfare Sports & Social Club Twist Lane Leigh on Monday 14th July 2014. 

4.0 NCL SURVEY RESULTS 

David Butler provided clubs with an in depth overview of results from a survey commissioned by the National Conference League from which a number of questions were answered. It was made patently clear that the National Conference League is now recognised as a summer based competition funding for which being provided courtesy of the RFL. That stance will prevail with further funding initiatives at a not dissimilar rate to that already provided for the past three seasons set for the next two years. A review will take place in 2017.

The NCL Management Group is committed to summer rugby league with the RFL acting as a partner to ensure and engender future growth success and longevity of the ethos it conveys.

Clubs were informed that should some wish to play in winter then the NCL Management Group which has received from the RFL a further three year licence will run such a competition at Tier 4 however there will be no central funding and all overheads emanating from such completion, in launched, would be solely and exclusively at the mercy of the clubs competing.

It was agreed that the NCL Management would as a result of the survey and its findings be required to re-visit the current League’s Minimum Standards Criteria and align them to the new summer ethos and not based on a winter infrastructure having now finally run its course.

There would in addition be a review of the fixtures and dates upon which they are played. A close review of Bank Holidays – particularly Easter - and the needs of players embracing such opportunities to take breaks during the summer periods would be considered in the broader sense.

The League would be losing Coventry Bears who following a detailed and explorative application process have now been accepted by the RFL in to its Championship One structure in respect season 2015 and onwards.

The League wishes Coventry Bears well as the club embarks upon a new mission to accelerate growth of the sport in the Midlands and beyond. This is a great opportunity for Coventry Bears to court expansion and vision in the coming years and build on the successes that the opportunities having afforded them to reach this point are not lost. The NCL management Group will take time to oversee what is required as a development tool and re-align new initiatives to cater for further growth of the Competition to ensure that constituent members feel proud to hold a deep seated allegiance and attachment in a vibrant future of opportunity.

#7 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Now if the RFL are saying that effectively any "Winter" competition will be run by the NCL during the course of the next 3 years.............where does that leave the existing NWC OA "Winter" League?

Is that not a direct conflict?

Why are the RFL not promoting the NWC OA "Winter" League as the preferred competition throughout that playing window?

#8 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Very little mention in the NCL minutes regarding the possible change to the playing season I was told the clubs need to bring proposal's to the table before the meeting in September that should have been entered in AOB. If the clubs are serious someone needs to be proactive to offer an alternative to what they have and also try to make sure there is enough support, and most importantly how to make it work?
I would suggest it cannot get any worse but are the RFL admitting they may have made a mistake with the changing of the playing season by actually allowing people to suggest an alternative, but are they trying to brush it under the carpet by not putting it in the minutes, going back to the funding all help is needed but £1,000 won't pay for 2 buses but it's pathetic that if the clubs do agree change they won't get the money.

Edited by Defender1, 16 July 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#9 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

very petty indeed, its a shame Barla is currently a sham of an organisation too

no voice for the amateur game I am afraid

#10 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

The game does not need RFL money its the other way round ,I just wish someone from the OA would just show a pair and start the ball rolling .

#11 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

The game does not need RFL money its the other way round ,I just wish someone from the OA would just show a pair and start the ball rolling .

Again Taxi you are right

#12 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Simple business economics..........can clubs carry on without the £1,000 per season or £35 per week as an average if they switch to a more traditional playing window?

If switching, based on their previous turnover during a traditional playing window is it probable that they can recoup or surpass the £1,000 per season or £35 per week as an average that they would lose as a result?

Based on previous seasons accounts (Traditional v Summer) how much of a decrease have clubs seen and if they returned to similar levels of revenue as a result of switching back, how much of a positive impact would it deliver financially to their club?

I think some might see it as a no brainer on that score.

Why not run a pilot if the demand is there from the clubs?

Do the NCL really want to run a League in a more traditional window applying a 4 seasons ethos?

Change the format from what exists and freshen it up?

Perhaps go with 1 x 16 Team League which would be ideal as an initial pilot.

Based on 16 teams, all teams play each other once (15 Fixtures) some will get 8 home and 7 away fixtures, others will get the opposite.

Once the 15 fixtures have been completed the League is split in to two ( Top 8 & Bottom 8 ) a Premiership and Championship, this is based on the points accrued in the first 15 fixtures.

The points system would be 3pts win, 2pts draw, 1pt bonus if within 12 points of winning team, 0pts for a loss of greater than 12pts.

** This points structure gives a better indicator of the ability of teams and also reflects the proximity of scorelines relative to league position **

Once split in to a the Premiership/Championship all teams retain their points for the previous 15 fixtures and then play a further 7 fixtures based on the remaining Home/Away fixtures that they did'nt play in the initial program of 15 fixtures against the other teams within their now Premiership/Championship league.

This delivers a total of 22 fixtures for all teams, once completed the winners of each Division are crowned Champions.

During the season a Cup competition can also be implemented that would see all teams complete a minimum of a further 2 fixtures.

Champions Trophy & Shield KO Competition's

All 16 teams drawn out in round 1 to deliver 8 fixtures

Winning teams go in to the Qtr-Finals of the Champions Trophy, losing Teams in to the Qtr-Finals of the Champions Shield.

Competitions continue with Qtr-Finals & Semi-Finals in line with standard protocol.

Both finals to be played on the same day at the same venue as the last fixtures of the season.

Obviously this type of format/approach caters for everyone, no matter what level and offers opportunities across the entire ability spectrum and can be adapted irrespective of numbers that enter the league.

Just thinking out loud!  8)

Edited by LordCharles, 17 July 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#13 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Now if the RFL are saying that effectively any "Winter" competition will be run by the NCL during the course of the next 3 years.............where does that leave the existing NWC OA "Winter" League?

Is that not a direct conflict?

Why are the RFL not promoting the NWC OA "Winter" League as the preferred competition throughout that playing window?

The ncl have the control on tier 3 winter national competition

I take it that if clubs wanted a national comp in the winter the ncl would run it and they were willing to if the numbers were right for one

It was mentioned about the pennine league having control and I think it was pointed our they have tier 4

#14 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

The ncl have the control on tier 3 winter national competition

I take it that if clubs wanted a national comp in the winter the ncl would run it and they were willing to if the numbers were right for one

It was mentioned about the pennine league having control and I think it was pointed our they have tier 4

Clubs were informed that should some wish to play in winter then the NCL Management Group which has received from the RFL a further three year licence will run such a competition at Tier 4 however there will be no central funding and all overheads emanating from such completion, in launched, would be solely and exclusively at the mercy of the clubs competing.

So they would be going in to direct competition with the Pennine League and NWC at Tier 4 then with a National competition as opposed to the Regional Leagues that currently exist in Tier 4?

That said it maybe that as a Tier 4 Comp it is not eligable for funding, but as a Tier 3 Comp it would be, hence the reference to it being Tier 4 in the minutes should it get off the ground.

Edited by LordCharles, 17 July 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#15 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,134 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

The NWCL is more or less dead in the water anyway only 3 teams finished the season in the top flight. If it exists I imagine it will be as a short season in the off season for summer clubs. It's not clear where that will leave Dalton and Golborne Parkside. Personally I think an elite winter competition should be run by the Pennine league. Reading between the lines the NCL are looking at relaxed minimum criteria and regionalised lower divisions as a way to expand.

#16 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

The NWCL is more or less dead in the water anyway only 3 teams finished the season in the top flight. If it exists I imagine it will be as a short season in the off season for summer clubs. It's not clear where that will leave Dalton and Golborne Parkside. Personally I think an elite winter competition should be run by the Pennine league. Reading between the lines the NCL are looking at relaxed minimum criteria and regionalised lower divisions as a way to expand.

So would you say that as a result of possible expansion from the NCL at what could be both National and Regional level the existing regional leagues could be under threat at some point in the future?

I am fairly certain this goes against RFL policy if it ends up being the case.

Edited by LordCharles, 17 July 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#17 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,134 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

So would you say that as a result of possible expansion from the NCL at what could be both National and Regional level the existing regional leagues could be under threat at some point in the future?

I am fairly certain this goes against RFL policy if it ends up being the case.

I don't know if they'd go that far but they might hoover up the likes of say Widnes St Marie's and Barrow Island and if they're feeling expansion minded Nottingham and Gateshead Storm. Would be surprised if they ever went past 60 clubs if that many.

#18 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

So the support from David Lowes would be withdrawn, maybe if no team entered next seasons challenge cup it could send a message

#19 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

I think not entering the challenge cup shoots the amateur game in the foot, I hope there can be enough support to change back to a split traditional season which I have recently seen, as we all know the summer game despite propaganda is not helping the clubs or the game

#20 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

If switching, based on their previous turnover during a traditional playing window is it probable that they can recoup or surpass the £1,000 per season or £35 per week as an average that they would lose as a result?

Where does the £1000 come from? Some clubs get £2000, some get £500.

You just don't get it. Nobody is staying summer just for the travel grant. If a team pulled out to regional it would save far more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users