Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr K to buy Newcastle Knights?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Just flashed up on the Fox Sports News channel here in Oz that "British billionaire Dr Marwan Koucash reportedly interested in buying Newcastle Knights"

Interesting ....

#2 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

If he did get into the NRL, do you think he'd continue with SL?

#3 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

If he did get into the NRL, do you think he'd continue with SL?

I would imagine so as he lives in Britain and has all his horse racing operations here. He'd likely have the clubs working very closely together and you'd probably see a lot of players going back and forth between the two.

I'm all for it to be honest.

Edited by The Big Gun, 16 July 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#4 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

Or might it be a case of 'well you won't let me do the "right thing" here, so I am taking my ball and playing with the big boys'?

#5 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Dr K sounds seriously cashed up! Where does he get his dough from?

#6 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

I'd just woke up when I first read this. Brain was still asleep so I was thinking he was buying the RU club (yep, I know they are the Falcons when I'm more with it). 

If true, the man must like a rebuilding job as Newcastle are struggling this year. Not quite as big a job as Salford's makeover but still a bit of work to do. Presume he won't be bringing in Noble to replace Wayne Bennett.

#7 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

I hope the constant rubbish the bloke has had to put up with hasn't driven him out of the game.

Maybe he will put someone in charge over in the NRL and keeps his main focus on Salford.

#8 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Not long ago he was going to buy a Football club.

This is much better, keeps the money in RL and it will go a lot further than in Football. 

Edited by Trojan horse, 16 July 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

so....how many clubs is that hes been "interested" in buying now??

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#10 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

Should provide lots of scope for creative accountancy re. the salary cap :)

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Should provide lots of scope for creative accountancy re. the salary cap :)

If he's after creativity under the cap I'd imagine Sale would be a better option, he could have a field day!

This is an interesting development mind, wonder if he'll be getting "his and hers" like he tried here!

#12 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Is he really a billionaire?

I suspect the Newcastle Knights will be pretty cautious given that they've just had the bad experience of finding out that a wealthy buyer isn't a guarantee of anything. It certainly would be an interesting development though...

Edited by MrFussy, 16 July 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#13 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Interest confirmed by him on his twitter account but that's about all it says.

As for his net worth, Wikipedia has him at anywhere between 900m and 3 billion. As mentioned on another thread though, he didn't make the Sunday Times Rich List which started at around £70 miliiion. In other words, sounds like nobody except him and his accountant knows.

#14 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Is he really a billionaire?

I suspect the Newcastle Knights will be pretty cautious given that they've just had the bad experience of finding out that a wealthy buyer isn't a guarantee of anything. It certainly would be an interesting development though...

I thought that too - I have seen 900 million bandied about more than anything. But that is a good shout over 1 billion AUD

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

I hope the constant rubbish the bloke has had to put up with hasn't driven him out of the game.

Maybe he will put someone in charge over in the NRL and keeps his main focus on Salford.

What constant rubbish do you think he has had to put up with? A few idiots on Twitter, but he's not stupid, he'll know about keyboard warriors and give them the attention they deserve.

In terms of battling with the RFL and other owners, well, again he should either be tough enough to deal with it, and intelligent enough to understand that there will be objections to what he wants so I don't think it will be genuinely bother him at all. 

#16 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Or might it be a case of 'well you won't let me do the "right thing" here, so I am taking my ball and playing with the big boys'?

this ^^^^
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#17 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

so....how many clubs is that hes been "interested" in buying now??

A few but he has actually put a lot of money into a really important club. Really important if you think RL should expand and become a national sport.

#18 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

I would imagine so as he lives in Britain and has all his horse racing operations here. He'd likely have the clubs working very closely together and you'd probably see a lot of players going back and forth between the two.

I'm all for it to be honest.

I think he did have a runner in the melbourne cup last year.

He will certainly shake things up down there if he takes over the Knights. Also are the Newcastle jets soccer team owed by the Newcastle Knights?

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

I think he did have a runner in the melbourne cup last year.

I wouldn't be surprised about the Melbourne Cup thing. It's pretty much the only thing that out-rates State of Origin in the annual TV rankings. An ambitious horse owner would definitely want to have a runner in that race.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Just flashed up on the Fox Sports News channel here in Oz that "British billionaire Dr Marwan Koucash reportedly interested in buying Newcastle Knights"

Interesting ....

http://www.theguardi...nights-purchase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users