Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr K to buy Newcastle Knights?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

He should buy the RLIF, then they will have some money!

#22 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

I wouldn't be surprised about the Melbourne Cup thing. It's pretty much the only thing that out-rates State of Origin in the annual TV rankings. An ambitious horse owner would definitely want to have a runner in that race.

Yep, Dr K had a horse called Mount Athos that came in 3rd last year and the horse is tipped to race again this year. I seem to recall him bigging up RL when interviewed at last years Melbourne Cup.

Imho he probably sees the NRL as a greater long term venture. The NRL under the leadership of David Smith has a more business like approach to developing and strengthening the game down under. The only issue is whether the Knights fans will welcome another billionaire after Nathan Tinkler.

#23 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Can't see him leaving Salford, that would kill the reputation he has built up.

#24 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

What constant rubbish do you think he has had to put up with? A few idiots on Twitter, but he's not stupid, he'll know about keyboard warriors and give them the attention they deserve.

In terms of battling with the RFL and other owners, well, again he should either be tough enough to deal with it, and intelligent enough to understand that there will be objections to what he wants so I don't think it will be genuinely bother him at all. 

I can easily imagine that having to deal with Ralph Rimmer and Nigel Wood is far worse than the keyboards warriors.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

I can easily imagine that having to deal with Ralph Rimmer and Nigel Wood is far worse than the keyboards warriors.

I wouldn't know about that, I've never had to work with them.

#26 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Can't see him leaving Salford, that would kill the reputation he has built up.

Neither can i, he hasn't even had 1 full season. Maybe after 2 or 3 seasons of 3,500-4,000 crowds and little success he could walk but looking at their backline for next year I can see Salford making finals and lifting silverware before achieving decent crowds of 8,000-10,000.

#27 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

not much comes out about the Dr that isnt directly from him or his organisation, so reckon he must be reasonably serious. Though it could just be more of his hype/PR machine doing what its done since he became involved in RL  in the UK.

Would certainly make things even more interesting in RL!.. maybe his missus can buy another NRL team!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#28 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

What if Dr K bought Newcastle and then 'loaned' a few star NRL players to a team in the UK, perhaps Salford for example, and just because he's a nice man he decided not to charge Salford a penny for the star players.

Would Salford be over the salary cap if the star players were playing for free? (but taking a handsome wage for being a contracted NRL player)

#29 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

not much comes out about the Dr that isnt directly from him or his organisation, so reckon he must be reasonably serious. Though it could just be more of his hype/PR machine doing what its done since he became involved in RL  in the UK.

Would certainly make things even more interesting in RL!.. maybe his missus can buy another NRL team!

If the doc wants publicity he could always propose a uk based NRL franchise.

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

What if Dr K bought Newcastle and then 'loaned' a few star NRL players to a team in the UK, perhaps Salford for example, and just because he's a nice man he decided not to charge Salford a penny for the star players.

Would Salford be over the salary cap if the star players were playing for free? (but taking a handsome wage for being a contracted NRL player)

Isn't there a ruling around how a loaned player is valued?

#31 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Isn't there a ruling around how a loaned player is valued?

They wouldnt get a work permit

#32 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Not long ago he was going to buy a Football club.

This is much better, keeps the money in RL and it will go a lot further than in Football.

was it tottenham he tried to buy?

#33 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

He was talking about buying into Oldham at one point.

#34 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Oldham yeah along with the Roughyeds. Not Tottenham though. 

#35 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Do you think  Newcastle contracted NRL players would just move to the UK to play for a team like Salford.

Edited by boxhead, 20 July 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#36 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

maybe they would relish the opportunity