Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why shout SET before running forwards/backwards in a line

SET LINE SHOUT

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

I will answer Lord in a short while.

To Kevin

What are you saying - I'm not sure what you mean? so I don't misinterpet what you said.

Cheers

David

#22 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Am I the only one who doesnt think these threads by davidhubball aren't genuine?

Seems an odd use of someone's time if they're not.

#23 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

To be honest, the using the ball to twonk the ball out of the other guys hand sounds like good craic. Admittedly 30 minutes could get boring. 

#24 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

To be honest, the using the ball to twonk the ball out of the other guys hand sounds like good craic. Admittedly 30 minutes could get boring. 

Its a game developed to place emphasis on correct grip and is usually enjoyed by most.

#25 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Am I the only one who doesnt think these threads by davidhubball aren't genuine?

No.............

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bhDJxEPRDek

#26 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Going back to Keniworth's strange comment - if you don't think my comments are genuine then why are you even bothering to get yourself involved in this topic? 

Question for you: Are your going to genuinely going to lose against Leeds on Thursday???

#27 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

How did training go tonight Dave?  ;)

#28 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

So ok I'll be honest - it was tougher to coach than thought. At the beginning, I sat the kids down and talked about calling SET and IN, even got them practice shouting it on their own and together as one. The kids felt bored a fair bit but in the end at first but I think they got more from it that if I'd just let them do drills without explaining the reason for practising it.

I explained what peripheral vision is for when running in a defensive line and then practised them shouting SET IN as loud as they could - they loved that bit lol.

Then I invented a drill to teach them about the invisible defender called the Touch line where they see how easy it is to push someone over the line- they grasped that fine with a bit of resistance to do it at first.

Some grasped all the concepts more than others and then I got a mini-game going again trying to get them to shout SET and IN.

Some teenagers even came over to try and help me. They thought they knew best but I put them right from learning from the discussions e.g one said run backwards after tacking a defender - I remember learning that it saves energy and its quicker to run forward but keep your eye on the ball - that made perfect sense to the age 10s so now they know more about this bit than the teenagers!!

By the end they seemed to understand that the long explanations were necessary and also understood that I won't need to take as long explaining next time.

Its done me good to get a taste of how hard it is so I take partly back some of the judgemental things I said about the boring drills he gave the kids before.

One kid kept giving me attitude and sent him around the pitch twice. At the end he said he gave me a 3 out 10 at the beginning of the training and then a 9 out 10 at end which was quite satisfying to hear.

Cheers for you support

Dave

Edited by davidhubball, 17 July 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#29 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Double post!

Edited by LordCharles, 16 July 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#30 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

The coach didn't turn up and I had the opportunity to train them on my own.

Before the training started I asked the club owner if they needed another coach or a backup coach but the answer was that its alright we don't need any more coaches - I kind of expected that answer.

So ok I'll be honest - it was tougher to coach than thought. At the beginning, I sat the kids down and talked about calling SET and IN, even got them practice shouting it on their own and together as one. The kids felt bored a fair bit but in the end at first but I think they got more from it that if I'd just let them do drills without explaining the reason for practising it.

I explained what peripheral vision is for when running in a defensive line and then practised them shouting SET IN as loud as they could - they loved that bit lol.

Then I invented a drill to teach them about the invisible defender called the Touch line where they see how easy it is to push someone over the line- they grasped that fine with a bit of resistance to do it at first.

Some grasped all the concepts more than others and then I got a mini-game going again trying to get them to shout SET and IN.

Some teenagers even came over to try and help me. They thought they knew best but I put them right from learning from the discussions e.g one said run backwards after tacking a defender - I remember learning that it saves energy and its quicker to run forward but keep your eye on the ball - that made perfect sense to the age 10s so now they know more about this bit than the teenagers!!

By the end they seemed to understand that the long explanations were necessary and also understood that I won't need to take as long explaining next time.

Its done me good to get a taste of how hard it is so I take partly back some of the judgemental things I said about the boring drills he gave the kids before.

Going forward, I will help even more and step in more to give explanations where the Coach doesn't explain.

One kid kept giving me attitude and sent him around the pitch twice. At the end he said he gave me a 3 out 10 at the beginning of the training and then a 9 out 10 at end which was quite satisfying to hear.

Miilion dollar question now!! Do I just pay for myself to do the Level 1 Coaches badge? lol

Cheers for you support

Dave

Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave...............DAVE!!!!   :no:

Unfortunately we have ourselves a bit of a welfare issue here!!!!!!!!!!

One which I am sure the RFL would like to investigate.........................

You an unqualified coach by your own admission took the training session tonight.............

I quote.............."The coach didn't turn up and I had the opportunity to train them on my own"

Oh dear............some very serious insurance issues there Dave and if you have spoken to a senior club official and they were aware you took that session tonight then clearly they are not operating within the correct protocol as a club and need to be held accountable.

More importantly should ANY of those kids been seriously injured tonight then you would have been personally liable as the insurance would have been null and void!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Tym0MObFpTI

Edited by LordCharles, 16 July 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#31 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

That sounds quite worrying. I won't volunteer to take a session on my own ever again - forget it!!! I'm gonna join another club next season - this is the last straw.

Cheers for making me fully aware

Dave

#32 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

That sounds quite worrying. I won't volunteer to take a session on my own ever again - forget it!!! I'm gonna join another club next season - this is the last straw.

Cheers for making me fully aware
Dave

Dave, this sounds like the best idea you have had.

I admire your enthusiasm and desire for your son to receive the best possible coaching, but I would take a step back at this stage.

To be honest the club you are at sounds like a bit of a joke. As Lord Charles has said there are serious insurance implications with an unqualified coach taking a session on his/her own. Another child welfare issue would be whether the club had a CRB check for you (not that I am saying you have a chequered past, but the club should be looking to protect all its kids at all times).

I coached juniors a few years back but had to stop when we started a family, I simply couldn't dedicate the time necessary to provide good coaching. Now my young ones are older and getting into rugby themselves, I will look to get back into coaching myself. Even though I have years of coaching experience I will look to find a well structured club where I can be an assistant coach, update my qualifications and ease myself back into the game.

I suppose my message to you is don't run before you can walk. If you are serious about coaching find a good club, get your qualifications, where possible act as assistant to a good coach for a while before becoming "head coach".

Best of luck to you, I hope your recent bad experiences don't put you or your son off the game.

As an aside, have these recent threads about coaching highlighted the need for a Coaching sub-forum?

It could be a good meeting place for people to swap ideas, drills, reading material, clips, course information etc etc

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#33 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hi Railway

Thank you for your words of support - I absolutely appreciate everyones feedback as well as its all been mostly.positive.

I spoke to my son this morning and explained that I can never coach again on my own without a qualified coach running the session. Hes now starting to understand that its in his interests to at least try a few training sessions at another club to see if he would still enjoy it. Hes afraid to leave his friends but I also explained its highly likely that his friends will either quit or find another club in the future. I also mentioned that it would only take 1 or 2 more of his kids to quit and the team could get scrapped due to low numbers, then he will regret going so far with them just for it to get scrapped in the end. I also said that he could go back again to his old club in the future if he wanted to as there would be nothing stopping him.

I love your comment advising me to find a well structured club which also has a good experienced coach who would be happy to take me under their wing if I felt the need to coach again. I've only stepped into help because it frustrates me to see my son upset but I won't offer again to run the session on my own or accept if I get asked.

So far I've emailed one other club which I know is well-structured (it even has an A and B team for age 11s).  But since your email, I will email another club as well which I think has close ties with Leeds Rhinos which seem like a strong outfit as well.

Regarding setting up a sub-forum, I don't think I'll need to make use of the now !!! These troubles will soon be far behind me :)

Kind Regards

Dave

#34 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Yes, you are not.................

#35 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Yes, you are not.................

my apologies - probably the worst worded post of all time!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Seems an odd use of someone's time if they're not.

The same could be said for TRL full stop. :unsure:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

:biggrin: I must admit it had me stumped for a minute or two!

Edited by Dave T, 17 July 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

As an aside, have these recent threads about coaching highlighted the need for a Coaching sub-forum?

There is a Community RL forum which may be half way there.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#39 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

I would like to say a massive thanks to every ones comments in my posts over the last few days - the thanks really deserves a Post all of its own. You have all definitely helped me to raise MY standards and taught me so much.

I'm now in contact with 2 other clubs for my son who deserves much better at surprisingly little extra financial cost. I'm happier and I have no doubt that my little family will be happier as a result. I really don't think we'll look back within a few weeks time.

Without you all, I would be still worrying how am I going to make my sons rugby better. I'd still be talking it over with my wife driving her mad!! Getting more and more frustrated with the whole set up.

Heres sending some love out to you all!!

Enjoy the game tonight massively!!!

Cheers

Dave

#40 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

:hi:  B)