Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why shout SET before running forwards/backwards in a line

SET LINE SHOUT

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

For me it's like anything else in life, the earlier you are exposed to it the less daunting it is in later life.

Having said that teaching correct tackle technique is very important, especially where to position the head. In my experience kids deal with the physical side of the game at different ages. It's a mental thing and nobody should be pushed. Some may fall by the wayside and the game is not for them, but most with encouragement and good coaching will soon overcome any fears.

I agree with the comment somebody made earlier about tackle bags. When I coached, the kids just forgot all they had learned and wanted to smash them "superman" style. Tackle shields are a lot better option.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#82 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

If my child is say 10 years old and hes quite new to rugby about to play in his first match......

Going up against a hardened team who have been playing since about age 5 is not really something I would like to try myself let alone ask a 10 year old kid.

Using padding doesn't sound like a bad idea - the use it in American Football, Taekqwondo, Karate competitions. Its not as daft idea as you think. It would be interesting to raise a team from age 5 using padding, gradually removing the padding as they approach age 6 and 7 and see how much more confiident and better tacklers they become compared to kids that start off with no padding. I wouldn't say this approach is the same as wrapping them in cotton wool would you?

But in the real world, you would get children coming in at age 6, 7, 8, 9 and in your example 10 years old. When do you remove the padding? Do they all remove it at the same time? Or after they've worn it after so long?

The social impact of coming in late and having to wear all that padding would be enough to stop anyone new wanting to play the game anyway. Not to mention the points people have made earlier about people becoming reckless when they feel "invulnerable" and end up getting themselves (and others) injured still. And also, it won't make a jot of difference to joint injuries like you mentioned earlier.

And again, you still haven't explained who would pick up the tab for these tackle suits?

It's a completely unrealistic idea.

You're an outsider looking in and trying to be innovative. That's great, and I encourage that. But you can't just assert your opinion and not back it up, and ignore other people's opinions. You said you wanted to talk to the experts. I'm not saying I am one, but I've got a degree in sport, I'm a teacher of children the age you describe, and have many years of coaching experience in numerous sports. There are others on this forum with even more experience than me, and more specific to the sport. You won't find anyone that thinks it's justifiable to spend over half a grand on tackle suits to teach kids to fall.

I think you just need to call this one a bad idea, accept why, and move on.

Posted Image

#83 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

Ok, i'll drop this one now and always remember who I am and who you are. A gift for you :-

https://www.youtube....h?v=2loAGfgXV5E

Edited by davidhubball, 22 July 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#84 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

If my child is say 10 years old and hes quite new to rugby about to play in his first match......

Going up against a hardened team who have been playing since about age 5 is not really something I would like to try myself let alone ask a 10 year old kid.

Using padding doesn't sound like a bad idea - the use it in American Football, Taekqwondo, Karate competitions. Its not as daft idea as you think. It would be interesting to raise a team from age 5 using padding, gradually removing the padding as they approach age 6 and 7 and see how much more confiident and better tacklers they become compared to kids that start off with no padding. I wouldn't say this approach is the same as wrapping them in cotton wool would you?

And the NFL are currently being sued by 5,000 former players due to injuries received playing the game, mostly because of how they tackle each other due to all the padding. The amount of padding and armour they wear makes them feel invincible so they often end up going head-first into tackles and end up with concussions and spinal injuries.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#85 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Booza!!! They are Pros practicing every single day!!! I don't think that kids practicing for a few hours a week is going to result in them thinking that they are invincible in tackles. Plus as I said, I think its a nice option to have more pads rather than one extreme or the other. And regarding the person that said it would cost £1000s to buy padding the are wrong - a Judo crash matt costs just £40, same goes for padded clothing. A Club might have typically £10,000-£20,000 in its bank just sat there doing nothing (a collection for helping shoppers pack their bags in the local Supermarket can raise nearly £1000 alone in a day - proven!!! so  money is easily raised).

My kid just trained rugby tonight and the coach said the ground was too hard to practice tackles or have a full-contact game. Shame more clubs don't buy crash matts to practice their tacking then? If you can't practice tackling due to the ground being too hard how will you ever be any good at rugby?

#86 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

Booza!!! They are Pros practicing every single day!!! I don't think that kids practicing for a few hours a week is going to result in them thinking that they are invincible in tackles. Plus as I said, I think its a nice option to have more pads rather than one extreme or the other. And regarding the person that said it would cost £1000s to buy padding the are wrong - a Judo crash matt costs just £40, same goes for padded clothing. A Club might have typically £10,000-£20,000 in its bank just sat there doing nothing (a collection for helping shoppers pack their bags in the local Supermarket can raise nearly £1000 alone in a day - proven!!! so money is easily raised).

My kid just trained rugby tonight and the coach said the ground was too hard to practice tackles or have a full-contact game. Shame more clubs don't buy crash matts to practice their tacking then? If you can't practice tackling due to the ground being too hard how will you ever be any good at rugby?

How would this work in practice matches?. Would you have an army of helpers running round with crash mats waiting for someone to make a tackle. Then chucking them down as the tackles made

#87 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Booza!!! They are Pros practicing every single day!!! I don't think that kids practicing for a few hours a week is going to result in them thinking that they are invincible in tackles. Plus as I said, I think its a nice option to have more pads rather than one extreme or the other. And regarding the person that said it would cost £1000s to buy padding the are wrong - a Judo crash matt costs just £40, same goes for padded clothing. A Club might have typically £10,000-£20,000 in its bank just sat there doing nothing (a collection for helping shoppers pack their bags in the local Supermarket can raise nearly £1000 alone in a day - proven!!! so money is easily raised).

Do you really think junior clubs have that much money knocking around (let alone doing nothing)?!

Remember, that's £40 each.

If the ground is too hard to tackle on, how are they going to have a match?!

I suggest your club would be best investing in sprinklers if that's the case. At least they can put a match on then.
Posted Image

#88 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:01 AM

I take this was preseason? Not every training session has to have contact. A game of touch can help hone skills and get fitness/quick thinking up to scratch.

#89 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

I take this was preseason? Not every training session has to have contact. A game of touch can help hone skills and get fitness/quick thinking up to scratch.

U10's current season.Season ends in October.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#90 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

A Club might have typically £10,000-£20,000 in its bank just sat there doing nothing (a collection for helping shoppers pack their bags in the local Supermarket can raise nearly £1000 alone in a day - proven!!! so money is easily raised).

OK Dave, so money is easily raised?

Well do us a favour and be an inspiration to your son, his team mates, his club and community rugby league in general.

Get out there and show us all how easy it is and raise all the money required to do what you propose with your idea regarding padding, then get it bought and put it in to practice on this hard ground that is currently hindering training in Yorkshire.

Be a Rugby League pioneer for padded training sessions!!!

Edited by LordCharles, 24 July 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#91 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

The club I'm currently with wouldn't listen even if I raised some money - they would put it towards something else.

I'd also have to convince the current Coaches of using more padding - so too much of a mammoth task for me.

#92 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

The club I'm currently with wouldn't listen even if I raised some money - they would put it towards something else.
I'd also have to convince the current Coaches of using more padding - so too much of a mammoth task for me.

I am sure if you raised the money, bought the equipment and went to the club they would welcome you with open arms.

Edited by John Drake, 24 July 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#93 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Check the Rhinos website,which shows a training session Danny McGuire and Chris Clarkson took on Tuesday night at their amateur club,coaching u7's in tackling technique.These kids are 4-7 years old and are tackling on hard ground.Now the season has taken it's summer break,many clubs are running fund raising tournaments,in all my years in Rugby League,I've never heard of a tournament cancelled because the ground was too hard.As suggested,maybe your club should invest in sprinklers ,certainly cheaper than buying tackle suits for a whole squad.

#94 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Hi

I like the ideas of sprinklers - my club won't invest in anything for the players. I am trialling out some other clubs and sprinklers might be something to look for.

Just out of curiousity, as another aside which amatuer club does Danny McGuire belong to?

Edited by John Drake, 24 July 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#95 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

East Leeds.
As for sprinklers,pointless suggesting them at one of the clubs,they train and play on a 3g pitch!

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 24 July 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#96 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Sounds like your talents are wasted at your current club, why don't you look around and see if any other clubs can benefit from your ideas

#97 squith83

squith83
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

East Leeds.
As for sprinklers,pointless suggesting them at one of the clubs,they train and play on a 3g pitch!

he may of started at east but he was playing for hunslet boys club when he was about 12-13, then to hunslet warriors when boys club merged/folded. he played with chev walker there among other huge lads. i played at stanley rangers and we had some massive battles with them. we were really the only 2 clubs in yorkshire at that time, although kings cross were decent and fev travellers/lions were pretty good too. fond memories. they normally beat us though to be honest. 

#98 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

he may of started at east but he was playing for hunslet boys club when he was about 12-13, then to hunslet warriors when boys club merged/folded. he played with chev walker there among other huge lads. i played at stanley rangers and we had some massive battles with them. we were really the only 2 clubs in yorkshire at that time, although kings cross were decent and fev travellers/lions were pretty good too. fond memories. they normally beat us though to be honest.

He's always listed as an East Leeds player when England squad is announced etc,maybe they original amateur club.Hunslet Warriors still beat a lot of teams at Junior level,nothing much has changed.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 24 July 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#99 squith83

squith83
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

He's always listed as an East Leeds player when England squad is announced etc,maybe they original amateur club.Hunslet Warriors still beat a lot of teams at Junior level,nothing much has changed.

yeah, i always notice it says east leeds. think he started there. the coach at boys club poached all the talent from around leeds. they were massive though, and fast. they either ran around you or over you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users