Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BORIS JOHNSON

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,568 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

what has he done for London and its people?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

http://ukpollingrepo...category/london

Poll ratings seem to speak for themselves

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,568 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

http://ukpollingrepo...category/london

Poll ratings seem to speak for themselves

yes, they do exactly that.

but what has he done for London and its people?

Keeping it local

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Freed them from ken livingstone, for a start.

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,568 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

oh dear

you really can do better than that.

What are Johnson's achievements as mayor of London?

Keeping it local

#6 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Most of his 'work' will be doing the usual council niff naff and trivia.  Obviously unless you live in London you wont hear about it.

We have a directly elected Mayor in Bedford, he's a Liberal Democrat and was still re-elected despite the LD's being toxic.  Why?  Because he's perceived as doing a good job, even then I'd be hard pressed to state a massive achievement.

Same with Johnson?  Banned booze on the tube?  Getting a 24hr tube service (soon)?  A successful Olympics? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#7 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Livingstone nearly beat Johnson. had it not been for the vitriolic opposition to him by the Evening Standard he'd probably have won.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#8 LEEDSLADGONE SOUTH

LEEDSLADGONE SOUTH
  • Coach
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

the guy is full value for entertainment. That's why I voted Boris for his first term….plus Ken is a ######

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Bikes!

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,568 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Bikes!

no

Keeping it local

#11 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

no

To be fair to him he did implement a bike hire scheme in London although the price did double last year.

Fides invicta triumphat

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,568 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

To be fair to him he did implement a bike hire scheme in London although the price did double last year.

it wasn't his idea and his implementation of it butchered the original scheme

http://www.rudi.net/node/17720

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 17 July 2014 - 11:21 AM.

Keeping it local

#13 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

no

You say Boris and in word association three things spring to my mind, baboon, clown and Boris Bikes!

#14 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Nothing, he's a useless mayor.  He has top notch PR and reputation management which means everything stupid or unpleasant he does is either laughed off or swept under the carpet.  However, once Livingstone did all the obvious things that needed doing (sorting out Trafalgar Square being one), he just carved up London for the property developer friends he'd cultivated so he could erase the "imperial London" that he hated but people travel from across the planet to see.   Livingstone's favourite trick was to play different minority groups off against each other and get the different Labour-supporting factions in Inner London to try and curry favour with him.  Meanwhile, he at best ignored, at worst thumbed his nose at the suburbs.  "Didn't vote for me, you don't get anything".  Other than obviously favouring Notting Hill/Kensington, I genuinely think that Boris considers himself the mayor of all of London, not just the "Doughnut Coalition" that voted for him.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#15 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Nothing, he's a useless mayor.  He has top notch PR and reputation management which means everything stupid or unpleasant he does is either laughed off or swept under the carpet.  However, once Livingstone did all the obvious things that needed doing (sorting out Trafalgar Square being one), he just carved up London for the property developer friends he'd cultivated so he could erase the "imperial London" that he hated but people travel from across the planet to see.   Livingstone's favourite trick was to play different minority groups off against each other and get the different Labour-supporting factions in Inner London to try and curry favour with him.  Meanwhile, he at best ignored, at worst thumbed his nose at the suburbs.  "Didn't vote for me, you don't get anything".  Other than obviously favouring Notting Hill/Kensington, I genuinely think that Boris considers himself the mayor of all of London, not just the "Doughnut Coalition" that voted for him.

That's the only bit I'd disagree with, the rest is all fair comment.

Johnson has forced some incredibly ugly and inappropriate buildings onto communities that were justifiably opposed to them. He's obsessed with re-shaping the London skyline, to the point where he was supporting a 40 storey development in a residential area near me that currently consists entirely of 2 and 3 storey properties. He's an ugly mix of vain and supportive of his developer friends. He's also been complicit in behaviour by the Tory-run Hammermsith and Fulham council that essentially amounts to a cleansing of the poor from that borough, similar to the actions of Westminster and Wandsworth in the 1980's. Luckily, they came unstuck over the future of Charring Cross hospital and got booted out at the recent local elections.

The best you can say about BoJo is that he spends the majority of his time maintaining his media profile. He'll need it for his future run at the Tory leadership.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#16 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

ayor

I can't argue with that.  However, I think my overall point is that I'm still waiting for a good mayor of London.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#17 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

ayor

I can't argue with that.  However, I think my overall point is that I'm still waiting for a good mayor of London.

I'll go along with that.

One of the issues, for me anyway, is that both the Mayor and the GLA have very little to do. So much of their potential power currently sits with either national government or local councils. These guys seem to sit somewhere in between and don't really have the power to affect big issues (mainly Westminster), nor the day to day involvement in services (councils).

The Mayor ends up spending a lot of his time attending events that would probably be taking place anyway, or inventing ways to look busy (eg Livingstone with his ludicrous tram) while the GLA is nothing more than a talking shop.

I'd be interested in taking a look at a genuine City Council, with powers over education, transport, health, etc and then 60-80 local boards that get a set amount to spend per capita on local needs.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

I went to London some years ago for my sister's 50th birthday. We were going for an evening meal in Greenwich and got held up at every set of traffic lights, often with no traffic moving in any direction. My sister said that MayorLivingstone's policy team had insisted on lights being deliberately set out of sequence and set with overlong delays for pedestrian crossing. This was to "encourage" motorists to use public transport or taxis, both of which could use segregated traffic lanes.

I decided there and then that Livingstone was an arrogant ###### who deserved to get several of his beloved newts shoved down his throat with nothing less than excessive force.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

I'll go along with that.

One of the issues, for me anyway, is that both the Mayor and the GLA have very little to do. So much of their potential power currently sits with either national government or local councils. These guys seem to sit somewhere in between and don't really have the power to affect big issues (mainly Westminster), nor the day to day involvement in services (councils).

The Mayor ends up spending a lot of his time attending events that would probably be taking place anyway, or inventing ways to look busy (eg Livingstone with his ludicrous tram) while the GLA is nothing more than a talking shop.

I'd be interested in taking a look at a genuine City Council, with powers over education, transport, health, etc and then 60-80 local boards that get a set amount to spend per capita on local needs.

That's about what I think.  They're a talking shop to keep bored people busy sitting in their weird little City Hall.  The most important job of the mayor really is as head PR guy for the city and in that you'd have to be a serious curmudgeon to even think for a second that Boris isn't doing a great job.  At the time of the Beijing Olympics when the flag was handed over to Boris I was working with a large company that had a huge Chinese presence, the locals couldn't stop talking about that huge blonde bear of a mayor.  Quite probably the most distinctive city mayor in the world, go to most countries and they've at least heard of him unlike most forgettable mayors.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,568 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

I went to London some years ago for my sister's 50th birthday. We were going for an evening meal in Greenwich and got held up at every set of traffic lights, often with no traffic moving in any direction. My sister said that MayorLivingstone's policy team had insisted on lights being deliberately set out of sequence and set with overlong delays for pedestrian crossing. This was to "encourage" motorists to use public transport or taxis, both of which could use segregated traffic lanes.

I decided there and then that Livingstone was an arrogant ###### who deserved to get several of his beloved newts shoved down his throat with nothing less than excessive force.

so your sister was privy to the decision making of Ken Livingstone? Do you have any other evidence apart from this, obviously credible first hand information? Just to be on the safe side kind of thing.

Keeping it local