Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BORIS JOHNSON

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

The speculation is over and he commits to a return to parliament in 2015: Boris 'seeking 2015 Commons return'

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#62 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,520 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Osborne can start pooing his pants.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#63 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Osborne can start pooing his pants.

If he can get anywhere near some "real" power, I think we can all start pooing our pants. <_<

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#64 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

I swear I saw him wink when he announced that he's gonna stand for parliment but "doesn't expect to win". Yeah right there gona find him one of the safest Tory seats within commute distance of London so he can continue being Mayor till 2016.

#65 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Boris does whats best for Boris. He did say a couple of days ago that the UK should withdraw from the EU if it wasn't happy with the terms of the agreement, or words to that affect.

He's saying the anti EU rhetoric that the grass roots Tories like to here

All Boris is doing is putting himself in position to lead the Tory party if Dave gets elbowed by the electorate at next years GE. Even if Dave stays in power Boris might still try and mount a leadership challege

#66 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,237 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

I(

I'd say Boris reckons Dave can't win. If he thought Dave was going to win he'd have bided his time and waited until his term as mayor was up before standing at a convenient bye-election.  He wants to be in parliament, where he can mount a challenge for the leadership as soon as the election is lost.  He can't stand for the leadership unless he's an MP.

Boris does whats best for Boris. He did say a couple of days ago that the UK should withdraw from the EU if it wasn't happy with the terms of the agreement, or words to that affect.

He's saying the anti EU rhetoric that the grass roots Tories like to here

All Boris is doing is putting himself in position to lead the Tory party if Dave gets elbowed by the electorate at next years GE. Even if Dave stays in power Boris might still try and mount a leadership challege

I reckon Boris thinks Dave can't win next year otherwise he'd have waited until his mayoral term was up.  He wants to be in parliament when the new leadership election kicks off, he can't stand for the leadership if he's not an MP.

Edited by Trojan, 06 August 2014 - 07:34 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#67 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,352 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

I(

I reckon Boris thinks Dave can't win next year otherwise he'd have waited until his mayoral term was up.  He wants to be in parliament when the new leadership election kicks off, he can't stand for the leadership if he's not an MP.

Yes, and he also knows that Cameron has backed himself into a real corner in the EU debate. Dave has no chance of renegotiating anything but he doesn't want to be the one responsible for the high risk strategy of leaving the EU.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#68 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,709 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

the tories now have their own Farage factor...

bit of a lad, very quotable, good fun in the media, anti europe, robustly right wing.

it's all falling into place, with the exception of Baroness Warsi bless her

we've got a sudden injection of women into the cabinet: the fact that they won't do anything is irrelevant.

They need to start hunting round for some black people to give jobs to, on the other hand maybe not.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#69 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Do a quiz about BoJo

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#70 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I got 6 out of 10. Not bad for a non resident of London I suppose.

Has he ever kept to even one election promise?

#71 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,709 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

I got 6 out of 10. Not bad for a non resident of London I suppose.

Has he ever kept to even one election promise?

nine out of ten

That's what reading Private Eye from cover to cover does to you

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#72 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

what has he done for London and its people?

Perhaps he'll do more when he becomes an MP for an area of North London.  Know anyone that lives there Frank?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#73 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

Perhaps he'll do more when he becomes an MP for an area of North London.  Know anyone that lives there Frank?

North London?
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#74 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Boris Island has sunk! :D

#75 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,403 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

Resurgam

#76 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,868 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

I'd be surprised if the idea wasn't resurrected at some point.

This country does need an international hub airport adjacent to London.

Trying to expand Heathrow is like trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

#77 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,520 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

I'd be surprised if the idea wasn't resurrected at some point.

This country does need an international hub airport adjacent to London.

Trying to expand Heathrow is like trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

I would imagine that it would cost an astronomical amount to build an island airport in the Thames.

The construction design would require a huge amount of engineered infill pus auxilliary road and rail bridges, sewage systems, electrical supply, telecommunications etc. It would also compromise flood control measures.

Presumably,  it would be cheaper to build a third airport, with fast-rail links, in Northwest Kent.

Edited by Wolford6, 03 September 2014 - 10:46 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#78 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

I would imagine that it would cost an astronomical amount to build an island airport in the Thames.

The construction design would require a huge amount of engineered infill pus auxilliary road and rail bridges, sewage systems, electrical supply, telecommunications etc. It would also compromise flood control measures.

Presumably,  it would be cheaper to build a third airport, with fast-rail links, in Northwest Kent.

About £100bn to build it apparently.  Boris has apparently already spent well north of £5m of taxpayer's money on pursuing this idea.

You'll note that it's quite a feat for a politician to be so passionate about building all over an area of the country over which he has absolutely no control whatsoever ...  good politicking though and it keeps him in the public eye as some wronged visionary.

- Severus, July 2012

#79 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

Though, even a stopped clock ...

- Severus, July 2012

#80 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

About £100bn to build it apparently.  Boris has apparently already spent well north of £5m of taxpayer's money on pursuing this idea.

You'll note that it's quite a feat for a politician to be so passionate about building all over an area of the country over which he has absolutely no control whatsoever ...  good politicking though and it keeps him in the public eye as some wronged visionary.

You'd probably make that sum back from developing the 2,000 acres vacated at Heathrow. And then there's the land not actually part of Heathrow but is unusable because it sits between it and the entrance to London.

That said, it would require a level of vision, planning, commitment and resources not seen since the second world war. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users