Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Four nations and premier sports

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

Didn't realise that premier sports had the four nations! Pretty handy given that I've just signed up :) http://www.premiersp...ague/4-nations/
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Strange, I thought the BBC had those. Or is it shared?

I guess BBC may only have the England matches though

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

correct

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

From http://www.rugbyleagueontv.co.uk/

BBC

Four Nations Tournaments - England Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

Premier Sports

Four Nations Tournaments - All Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

On past form, the BBC may well show highlights of the non-England matches.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

From http://www.rugbyleagueontv.co.uk/

BBC

Four Nations Tournaments - England Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

Premier Sports

Four Nations Tournaments - All Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

On past form, the BBC may well show highlights of the non-England matches.

So if England reach the final :) then only matches on PS not on BBC will be Aus v NZ, Aus v Sam and NZ v Sam. Result.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

So the BBC are not going to bother covering the Final if England are not in it? jeez

#7 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Mistake imo. It should be shared between Sky Sports and BBC. 

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Ah well, I suppose we should look forward to the blanket coverage on BBC News, plenty of adverts between their shows, features on Breakfast shows etc.

#9 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

It is all well and good stating that but didn't SKY want exclusivity on the World Cup et al or nothing et al?

It is fundamentally important that the BBC show ALL England RL internationals now and in the future if we are to grow the sport in this country in terms of popularity and commercially. It is why I am very worried that the RFL have signed the game's life away with the new SKY TV contract which states internationals are part of the package. I haven't seen any detail on what it entails, but if it includes end of season England internationals, Wood, Rimmer et al need to be shot...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

It is all well and good stating that but didn't SKY want exclusivity on the World Cup et al or nothing et al?

It is fundamentally important that the BBC show ALL England RL internationals now and in the future if we are to grow the sport in this country in terms of popularity and commercially. It is why I am very worried that the RFL have signed the game's life away with the new SKY TV contract which states internationals are part of the package. I haven't seen any detail on what it entails, but if it includes end of season England internationals, Wood, Rimmer et al need to be shot...

I don't massively disagree, but I don't think we should be giving all England games to the BBC unless they are actually committed to tournaments.

All this deal is doing is building up the England team, but bth the figures will be low as they will be tucked away on a Saturday morning.

Sky have happily shared international rights before, the issue since the World Cup was that they wanted every England game on the BBC meaning Sky get none of the pie there. 

Sky have been a very good partner for RL and International RL, are far bigger than Premier can ever be, and tbh I'd rather have seen us playing more and more games so that both the BBC and Sky can have a share of the pie.

RU and Football are happy to have their national teams on both channels.

#11 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Just noticed Aus v England is a 5am kick-off our time!

Think I'll get a 2 month subscription to Premier Sports starting after we come back off holiday in September. the 2 month sub will cover NRL Play-off and Grand Final and the Four Nations. Then I can watch the World Cup games I taped which won't show now that I don't have a sub

#12 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Will Vossy be commentating for Premier Sports or will we be getting the biased view of Warren, Gould etc?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

BBC have the England internationals up to and including the 2017 World Cup. 

Posted Image

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Ah well, I suppose we should look forward to the blanket coverage on BBC News, plenty of adverts between their shows, features on Breakfast shows etc.

Have I woken up in 2013...?

Posted Image

#15 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

BBC have the England internationals up to and including the 2017 World Cup.

I know - it is post-2017 I am worried about... Do you have any inside information of what the new SKY TV detail entails? 

I don't massively disagree, but I don't think we should be giving all England games to the BBC unless they are actually committed to tournaments.

Whilst I appreciate timings will be very early when games are down under, exposing people to the game is fundamentally vital and the best tool for that is the BBC. Yes it needs worthwhile exposure and I don't mind it being shared with SKY (see 2011 Wembley Four Nations) but England are the game's best tool to broaden the appeal of the game in the wider public conscience and boost its commercial value. I think the viewing figures in the World Cup proved it.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#16 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Will Vossy be commentating for Premier Sports or will we be getting the biased view of Warren, Gould etc?

I reckon BBC coverage for the England games and Nine coverage for the other games. They won't send their own team over when they can just steal the feed IMO.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

S4C will be covering all the Welsh games.

;) :tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

I know - it is post-2017 I am worried about... Do you have any inside information of what the new SKY TV detail entails? 

Whilst I appreciate timings will be very early when games are down under, exposing people to the game is fundamentally vital and the best tool for that is the BBC. Yes it needs worthwhile exposure and I don't mind it being shared with SKY (see 2011 Wembley Four Nations) but England are the game's best tool to broaden the appeal of the game in the wider public conscience and boost its commercial value. I think the viewing figures in the World Cup proved it.

They did, but just looking at some analysis I did, which admittedly is based on some big assumptions suggests that we could have given Sky exclusive rights to a couple of England games in the WC and the additional audience numbers that we pick up from the other games that they show over Premier would cover much of the loss from the couple of England games.

This is based on the average Premier Sports game getting 10k and an assumption that an average Sky WC game would have got 150k (excluding England games). 

I think the amount of coverage hours would have been massive compared to what we did get - as we would have had far more coverage on Sky Sports News, Sky News etc. especially around some of the Pacific Island stories and their extraordinary games.

Obviously we don't know what happened with negotiations but if we did position it as all England's games must be on terrestrial TV then I think we shot ourselves in the foot, as I think a partnership with Sky where they also get some England games (which they have done time after time) we would get additional income and coverage.

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

S4C will be covering all the Welsh games.

;) :tongue:

Appreciate the joke but it does annoy me that S4C used to show a lot more rugby league than it does now.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

I reckon BBC coverage for the England games and Nine coverage for the other games. They won't send their own team over when they can just steal the feed IMO.

Do Channel 9 have sole broadcast rights for Australia and New Zealand? If Sky NZ are involved we may get Vossy and Hallingan once more.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users