19-20/07/14 - The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Discuss this weekend's Kingstone Press Championship games here.

SATURDAY 19th JULY
Leigh Centurions v Keighley Cougars 6.30pm

SUNDAY 20th JULY    
North Wales Crusaders v Dewsbury Rams 2.30pm at The Rock, Wrexham
Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles 3pm
Doncaster v Swinton Lions 3pm
Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs 3pm
Halifax v Whitehaven 3pm
Workington Town v Rochdale Hornets 3pm

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hoping last week's defeat will be the kick up the backside that Leigh have needed for the last few weeks. We had a huge test at Cougar Park earlier in the season and were pretty fortunate to come away with a win so I certainly don't think we'll underestimate them, but I'd like to think there will be a bit of a backlash from last week and a comfortable victory.

#3 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Cru - Dews looking interesting - the Cru are looking a lot more genki (to use a Japanese expression) under Murray and have some decent looking loan players in the side, pity it couldn't have happened a little earlier!

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

With top sorted ages ago, and the bottom four, whilst not out of it, looking very precarious, the two major battles in the Championship go on.

1. The battle for 2nd between Fev, Fax and Donny.

2. The battle not to finish 10th between Dewsbury, Batley, Haven, Sheffield, and the two I think it'll come down to Keighley and Workington.

Basically makes every single game this weekend a biggie.

A Fev Blog

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

2. The battle not to finish 10th between Dewsbury, Batley, Haven, Sheffield, and the two I think it'll come down to Keighley and Workington.

Have a look at each club's remaining fixtures, you may have a different view.......

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Have a look at each club's remaining fixtures, you may have a different view.......

For anyone wondering what those fixtures are (like I was), here you go -

Workington

Rochdale (h)

NW Cru

Whitehaven (h)

Doncaster

Barrow (h)

Leigh

Dewsbury (h)

Batley

Featherstone

Sheffield

Leigh (h)

Whitehaven

Dewsbury (h)

Swinton (h)

Doncaster

Whitehaven

Halifax

Featherstone (h)

Workington

Batley (h)

Sheffield

Rochdale (h)

Swinton

Sheffield

Barrow

Batley (h)

Doncaster

Swinton (h)

Whitehaven (h)

Rochdale (h)

Featherstone

Rochdale

#7 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Don't write Town off yet, they have plenty of chances to pick up points and also improve the points difference between now and the end of the season.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#8 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Will be interesting to see how Leigh react to that defeat on Saturday night, anybody wanting to catch the game a family ticket of two adults and up to four children is available for £30 plus with it any under 16's will get a free season ticket for the remaining games - well done Leigh

#9 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Nar. Im good. It really is hard to call. Good luck to Town (and indeed to the other teams involved). Whoever does end up 10th can count themselves pretty unlucky. I think it's a safe bet to say whoever it is will be a cut above whoever comes out of CH1 to replace them.

A Fev Blog

#10 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Don't write Town off yet, they have plenty of chances to pick up points and also improve the points difference between now and the end of the season.

I've a feeling Town will do much better than ninth, they are definitely on the up. I watched them gain a bonus point at Fev and then beat them at Derwent Park where they tackled like demons. It should be a cracking game against Rochdale who are also brimming with confidence after beating Fev themselves. Both sides have been unbeaten since, but home advantage should count. I hope the locals reward them with a crowd over 1,000, which their current form surely deserves. If Haven fail to pull off a shock at Fax and Bulldogs get nothing at Fev then Town could be equal 6th by Sunday night.

#11 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

With only 3 points between 5th and relegation at the moment, one bad display or unexpected defeat could put any of the 6 clubs in danger. From Dewsbury in 5th to Town in 10th none of them can breathe easy. Even Fev in 2nd are still 8 points off being mathematically certain to stay up !

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#12 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

It's the cougars I'm now worrying about

Please don't ruin my dream of abusing Bradford next year

#13 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

Bit of a let down for the Cru at The Rock - if they'd been a tad less rushed towards the end of the game with less dropped ball they'd have won. I'm not a great one for commenting on referees, but I don't think either set of supporters would be greatly upset if they never saw Gareth Hewer in a ref's jersey again! An interesting comment in the programme by CEO Jamie Thomas - 'We have now built up a good relationship with everyone at Cefn Druids and hopefully this will now continue in the future. I'm certain we'll be back at The Rock at some point in 2015 to play some games'. (my italics)

#14 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

Town's win over Rochdale should have been a wider margin than the 12 points.   In the last minute Peter Lupton threw out a long pass without looking and it was intercepted 60 yards away from our line and a clear run for Rochdale to score.   Lost count of the number of times we made an error in Rochdale's 20 zone.   Disappointed with Rochdale to be honest as they just seemed to be a team of spoilers.   I expected more after their wins over Fev and Barrow.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#15 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Bit of a let down for the Cru at The Rock - if they'd been a tad less rushed towards the end of the game with less dropped ball they'd have won. I'm not a great one for commenting on referees, but I don't think either set of supporters would be greatly upset if they never saw Gareth Hewer in a ref's jersey again! An interesting comment in the programme by CEO Jamie Thomas - 'We have now built up a good relationship with everyone at Cefn Druids and hopefully this will now continue in the future. I'm certain we'll be back at The Rock at some point in 2015 to play some games'. (my italics)

I wouldn't read too much into that statement. We have a healthy relationship with Glyndwr University and have put money into the redevelopment of the stadium. The Rock is a great ground but we have been fortunate with the weather. The staff and the support from all at Cefn Druids has bee superb. However, I'm not sure that our disabled supporters would swap a raised platform undercover at the racecourse for looking over the fence at the Rock.

#16 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

Town's win over Rochdale should have been a wider margin than the 12 points.   In the last minute Peter Lupton threw out a long pass without looking and it was intercepted 60 yards away from our line and a clear run for Rochdale to score.   Lost count of the number of times we made an error in Rochdale's 20 zone.   Disappointed with Rochdale to be honest as they just seemed to be a team of spoilers.   I expected more after their wins over Fev and Barrow.

Jeez I had Worky -16 and Seagulls -14 in a dble... so a big well done to Lupton from me..
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#17 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

Moaning in victory?

Oh, mate - you'll love our blog's review of the game then...  http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#18 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

The reason there were shouts for offside was because for almost the entire game Rochdale were you know, offside. Which conversely made for a very scrappy game. Nice unbiased report though, complaining about town moaning, then moaning about refs decisions. Lovely piece of irony.

Edited by dkw, 21 July 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#19 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

The reason there were shouts for offside was because for almost the entire game Rochdale were you know, offside. 

Brilliant. The moaning barstewards by us were at it for 80 minutes straight. Where they find the stamina to be that negative for that long is a miracle in itself.

And of course we're biased - that's the whole point of writing a blog.

Edited by Hornetto, 21 July 2014 - 09:13 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#20 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

I wouldn't read too much into that statement. We have a healthy relationship with Glyndwr University and have put money into the redevelopment of the stadium. The Rock is a great ground but we have been fortunate with the weather. The staff and the support from all at Cefn Druids has bee superb. However, I'm not sure that our disabled supporters would swap a raised platform undercover at the racecourse for looking over the fence at the Rock.

Good points, I take it that we'd de-camp for summer pitch maintenance at the Racecourse. My problem with the Racecourse next season is the lack of atmosphere with the gates the club can expect - it's a great place when it's full and rocking (remember the Wales - USA WC game? Well, maybe not the actual game) but it can be a bit bleak and echoey  with only 500 or so in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users