Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

18/07/14 - Widnes Vikings v Warrington Wolves KO 8pm (TV)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Warrington Wolves (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

And next season Ashton Simms joins him on his trips around Europe

Not seen much of Asotasi this year but he wasn't exactly pulling up trees in his last year at the Rabbitohs. He seemed too passive to be playing up front for the Bunnies and his performances were a bit off what the Burgesses were bringing to the party. Add to that his disappearing act from the Samoan team and it sounds like he hasn't quite got the passion for the game he once had.

Simms on the other hand, although he may not have the pedigree of Roy, doesn't lack for effort so suspect he will be a bit of a favourite with the Warrington crowd next year. Also, you can't beat a big prop with a good barnet on him as it makes the hits look that much more spectacular (exhibit A Fuifui)

#62 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

Haven't read the whole thread, but obviously no complaints about the result. Widnes were sharper and quicker all over the field, even when we were dominating possession. Well played.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#63 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

And now I have read it through, completely agree with those bagging the video ref and in particular the disallowed Widnes try near the end. All of the VR decisions now take an ovscene length of time, and tgere was absokutely nothing wrong with it. The ######, lazy defending by Wood deserved to be exploited.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#64 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

Sky are not helping the game at the moment. With every try referred to the VR you get the following;

Eddie Hemmings - Oooh it's been referred upstairs, what say you Stuart.

Stuart Cummings (armed with a 2012 copy of the rule book) - I heard the ref mention offside and a knock on Eddie, I think they are looking at offside and a knock on.

Phil Clarke - But wasn't somebody killed in back play Stuart?

Brian Carney - But his death had no bearing on the play Phil!

* John Kear/Paul Cullen/Tony Rea/Barrie Mcdermott/Spit the Dog *(delete as appropriate) - You can't take that away from him, it deserves a try!

Stevo - It's definitely a try, it has to be, no wait he had a fingertip on the white wash, no T R Y. No it has to be a try for mine.....what day is it?

Eddie - We've seen these given before, I haven't got a Scooby Doo but as there's an R in the month I'll say no try.

It's become comical. Why can we not have a situation where when a VR decision is needed instantly the mike's of all twenty commentators are switched off. Their opinions are not needed especially before a decision has been given. We could then listen to clear concise decision making from one video ref.

We may not all agree with the final outcome but you can at least understand the process of how the decision was made.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#65 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,570 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

I only saw the first half as I had to go out, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The warrington fullback koked a kick on on the full , and Eddie Hemmings blamed the pitch.

I wonder whether we'll ever see, apart from possibly Bradford, a club become a force in SL on the back of promotion? I somehow doubt it. Widnes need to do some work on developing their support base.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#66 Vambo

Vambo
  • Coach
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

I'm not nor have I ever been in favour of video refs. Either have them at all games or get rid. Televised games this season have at times been dominated by the vr... you can even hear the ref saying "ok", "clear" and then he refers it upstairs and we waste 2 mins whilst the VR does his best to find fault.

Posted Image

#67 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Well done widnes, wires sent packing, you wanted it more than us.

Winning streak comes to an end, oh well it's been a good one.

#68 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Well done widnes, wires sent packing, you wanted it more than us.

Winning streak comes to an end, oh well it's been a good one.

That's very graceful of you Paul!  ;)

I can't believe I got rid of Sky Sports last week after the Wakey game, (when we played rubbish) and then we beat Wire this week.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

And what's worse is, I asked the MIL to record it for me, and she messed it up!  :crying:

Edited by Bomb Jack, 19 July 2014 - 09:03 AM.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#69 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

The wire must have better kids than him costing a fraction of the price

#70 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Both the Wire & Cas fans have started singing that bloody annoying song Allez Allez.

It really gets under my skin!

Why have they both adopted a French song?

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

The standard of commentary was appalling again last night, I don't generally let them get under my skin, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult these days. I don't mind their silliness or having controversial views, it is often that the standard of actual commentary and analysis is terrible.

As has been pointed out, Eddie H is obsessed with the pitch, even questioning whether Russell's attempted catch with his face was due to it - how many years will we have to put up with the talk of the pitch - Eddie is actually much better than that.

I was also frustrated after half an hour when it was a fascinating arm wrestle and Wire were finishing a set in Widnes' half with Stevo berating them saying they aren't making yards, seconds before a stat flashed up showing Wire were making more yards than Widnes despite an appalling completion rate. 

It's the kind of nonsense you expect from the drunken senile old bloke sitting behind you, not the so called expert getting paid a fortune on Sky.

On the ref, not too concerned with the errors as they went both ways and Widnes were far more deserving, but one I didn't like was Ratchford's disallowed try. In effect we were looking at a forward pass there. Ormsby has intentionally knocked that back with his hands, so what the VR is judging there is the angle it has come away from Ormsby - that is then forward pass territory. As Cummings said, the ref was in perfect position and said 'went backwards, play on' in live play, surely the VR was there to see if Ormsby had knocked it into the defenders hands. Things like that worry me more than the obstruction rule, which can instantly be fixed by the attacking teams.

#72 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

The disallowed Marsh try was the worst for me. It wasn't the usual obstruction call where lead runners impede defenders.

Marsh had to run back 20 metres to pick up a loose ball therefore all his team mates were infront of him. He saw a gap, put his foot down and sliced through. The Widnes player who was adjudged to have obstruched was walking back towards his own goal line and it was a poor read and attempted tackle from Anthony England that allowed Marsh through.

The best 2 commentators on Sky are John Wells anfd Brian Carney. Wells in particular could hardly bring himself to talk about that incident describing it as going into joke territory.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#73 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I like John Wells but am not overly keen on Carney.

Eddie and Stevo should be put out to pasture, especially Stevo!

Edited by Bomb Jack, 19 July 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#74 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

John Wells is underused on Sky. He is articulate and intelligent whilst explaining hi gs to both new and old viewer

Carney is also good but in a different way

Both are streets ahead of Eddie who can't recognise any players anymore and Stevo who does watch the same game that is being televised

#75 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

i still think wire will be in the mix for the GF, but a lovely emotional night to be at the HS we did it for pat and massive regards to the wire fans for their own tribute to such a lovely lady and the staunchest of RL fans.....a win next week would make me happier 

Edited by Viking Warrior, 20 July 2014 - 03:57 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#76 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

.....a win next week would make me happier 

Well, you're in with a good chance.  We have our loss coming up.  Two wins and a loss it's been for the last couple of months.  We've just had two wins.  So our loss should be next week - you guys at our place.

#77 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

That's very graceful of you Paul!  ;)

Very graceful indeed......so much so, I'm going to refrain from reminding him of a certain post he made earlier in the season  ;)