Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Israel Folau to switch

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

http://www.smh.com.a...0716-ztn49.html

And more to come by the sound of it.

#2 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

I doubt he would come back next season with the RUWC happening in 2015.

I would love to be proven wrong though!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#3 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

With RU in Australia in such a financial mess and the Wallabies reflecting that. There could be humiliation ahead for the Wallabies next year. Much like Spain in the Football WC.

Meanwhile he is still playing in a minority sport in Australia. There are lots reasons to switch but the biggest one of them all is likely to be $$$

Edited by Trojan horse, 17 July 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#4 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

Wish he would stay, he's made his bed and he should lay in it. All he did was slag off RL when he switched and how he could 'see the world' and other such nonsense. Just goes to show he's all about the money!

#5 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

maybe he's trying to get a bigger deal from union

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

maybe he's trying to get a bigger deal from union

That's usually how it works down under, I've lost count the number of times union players like ma'a nonu, piri weepu and quade cooper were about to switch codes only to sign a more lucrative contract with the all backs or wallabies.

#7 kosh2262

kosh2262
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

The ARU have seen a number of high profile defections of current young players leaving for France and Japan to play Union, Nick Cummins the latest.

Would not surprise me if one or both of Beale and Folau swap, though Folau is contracted until World Cup. I expect him to do a SBW and flip flop if the money is right.
Malcolm Tucker: Fatty?
Jamie: Oh, aye, Fatty, wee Spiderman in his ###### pyjamas, what a ###### idea. From now on it's a proper fight; It's a pomp-fight, Motherwell rules. And Tom is gonna get a pint glass in his ###### eye and a pool cue up his ###### and another pool cue in his other ###### eye.
Malcolm Tucker: Geoff Holhurst?
Jamie: What, Mister Baby New Potato-Head? ###### off.

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Wish he would stay, he's made his bed and he should lay in it. All he did was slag off RL when he switched and how he could 'see the world' and other such nonsense. Just goes to show he's all about the money!

Show me a player that isn't all about money(very few) which I can't honestly blame them for. Also like it or not union players do travel more around the globe than their league counterparts.

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

I've got mixed feelings about this, on the one hand it would be great to see the likes of hunt and folau back in league and seeing the likes of kurtley Beale try his hand in the NRL but this only strengthens an already strong NRL and kangaroo test side while England will be without the likes of Sam burgess and Kyle eastmond playing union in England.

#10 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

I think a lot of Aussie RU players are looking for big money moves (French RU or NRL) after the RWC next year. Shame to see them go but can't blame them.

28m391z.jpg

#11 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

I think Folau should give Gaelic Football a go in his quest to master all the football codes. 

#12 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

I think a lot of Aussie RU players are looking for big money moves (French RU or NRL) after the RWC next year. Shame to see them go but can't blame them.

I doubt many of the current Wallabies team would interest NRL clubs with Folau being the obvious exception. I'm not saying they are not good enough, but the money they would want would be too much of a gamble.

One area where a financially struggling ARU may see a drain to league though, is with its junior players. NRL clubs may be in a position to cherry pick the best prospects and players deciding a more lucrative career is possible in the NRL.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#13 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

The ARU have seen a number of high profile defections of current young players leaving for France and Japan to play Union, Nick Cummins the latest

Cummins left purely for monitory reasons. His Dad has prostate cancer and his two brothers have cystic fibrosis. He's earning more in Japan than he ever could, even with  a massive ARU top up. 

#14 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

One area where a financially struggling ARU may see a drain to league though, is with its junior players. NRL clubs may be in a position to cherry pick the best prospects and players deciding a more lucrative career is possible in the NRL.

This has happened since rugby league went pro, mate. 

#15 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

come on guys - there's no way on earth Folau is going to switch now.  After the union world cup... perhaps.

But before then?  No chance!!

The guy is simply using his agent to play the NRL clubs off against the ARU to push up his salary.

IMO the NRL clubs should have a look at getting back some of the other (cheaper) players who have switched.... Cooper Vuna, or the big Kiwi guy on the wing for the Brumbies (ex-Titans... Joe somebody?)  Bothj would go well in RL i feel, as they have a good backgound in the sport already, and are good athletes.  the  Kiwi guy at the Brumbies could also potentially add value to the New Zealand national RL squad if he could be enticed back.  he was a bit of a bum at the Titans, but has clearly sorted his act out.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#16 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

come on guys - there's no way on earth Folau is going to switch now.  After the union world cup... perhaps.

But before then?  No chance!!

The guy is simply using his agent to play the NRL clubs off against the ARU to push up his salary.

IMO the NRL clubs should have a look at getting back some of the other (cheaper) players who have switched.... Cooper Vuna, or the big Kiwi guy on the wing for the Brumbies (ex-Titans... Joe somebody?)  Bothj would go well in RL i feel, as they have a good backgound in the sport already, and are good athletes.  the  Kiwi guy at the Brumbies could also potentially add value to the New Zealand national RL squad if he could be enticed back.  he was a bit of a bum at the Titans, but has clearly sorted his act out.

Joe tomane, looked a great talent when he was at the Melbourne storm.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Does IF even count as a RL player? I would just class him as a bloke that plays sports for various employers.

Which is not an insult, it's just how it seems. He's possibly played other games for longer than he has RL

#18 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

Joe tomane, looked a great talent when he was at the Melbourne storm.

He was a schoolboy RU prodigy. Signed by the Storm before he'd played a game of rugby league. I think he had a few nasty injuries while in the NRL. He's only back now after injury. Solid winger.

#19 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Does IF even count as a RL player? I would just class him as a bloke that plays sports for various employers.

Which is not an insult, it's just how it seems. He's possibly played other games for longer than he has RL

You're probably not wrong there. He's an exceptional athlete. He was never going to make it in AFL though. What I've enjoyed seeing is him finally clicking in union. His support play is exceptional.

#20 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

You're probably not wrong there. He's an exceptional athlete. He was never going to make it in AFL though. What I've enjoyed seeing is him finally clicking in union. His support play is exceptional.

AT, why do you say he was never going to make it in AFL?  Also, what do you mean by seeing him "finally" clicking in union? From what I've seen, he clicked from day one.