Israel Folau to switch

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

I've got mixed feelings about this, on the one hand it would be great to see the likes of hunt and folau back in league and seeing the likes of kurtley Beale try his hand in the NRL but this only strengthens an already strong NRL and kangaroo test side while England will be without the likes of Sam burgess and Kyle eastmond playing union in England.

There's no guarantee any of those players would even make the Kangaroo squad, although Folau probably would. Who would Hunt and Beale displace? I don't think there are many Wallaby players that would particularly enrich the NRL.

#22 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

AT, why do you say he was never going to make it in AFL?  Also, what do you mean by seeing him "finally" clicking in union? From what I've seen, he clicked from day one.

Aussie rules is an instinctual sport. It's a sport that, from a rugby background, is completely foreign. He was competing for a position against kids who grew up learning these instincts and the decision making. I guess it's hard to explain but the game is actually really hard to play, especially from a fitness and awareness point of view. Both rugby codes have the game in front of you. Aussie rules is 360 degrees. I played a number of games and was completely out of my depth. Then there's the fitness. A mate of mine who is right into AFL says there's a reason you don't see a lot of young players (straight out of school etc) playing the game. It's because they spend a season or two getting conditioned. Folau dropped plenty of weight but still didn't have the fitness. Karmichael Hunt is getting there but he's continually injured, only lasts 3/4 of a game and is playing in the reserves. There's a good rumour out that Hunt will be playing RU for the Qld Reds next year. 

As for him clicking in RU, well his positional play is exceptional. What you sometimes see with rugby league converts is that they don't go looking for the ball. There's no left and right centre in RU and wingers typically come off their wing a lot. Last year he was still learning the game and he surprised a lot of people. This year he's gone up a notch. The majority of his tries are from being the last man in a backline movement or gathering an offload. It's a great thing to see and it shows he's following the ball and knows exactly where to be. I'm certain he'll be go back to the NRL one day but I hope he stays in RU until after next year's world cup.

#23 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Aussie rules is an instinctual sport. It's a sport that, from a rugby background, is completely foreign. He was competing for a position against kids who grew up learning these instincts and the decision making. I guess it's hard to explain but the game is actually really hard to play, especially from a fitness and awareness point of view. Both rugby codes have the game in front of you. Aussie rules is 360 degrees. I played a number of games and was completely out of my depth. Then there's the fitness. A mate of mine who is right into AFL says there's a reason you don't see a lot of young players (straight out of school etc) playing the game. It's because they spend a season or two getting conditioned. Folau dropped plenty of weight but still didn't have the fitness. Karmichael Hunt is getting there but he's continually injured, only lasts 3/4 of a game and is playing in the reserves. There's a good rumour out that Hunt will be playing RU for the Qld Reds next year. 

As for him clicking in RU, well his positional play is exceptional. What you sometimes see with rugby league converts is that they don't go looking for the ball. There's no left and right centre in RU and wingers typically come off their wing a lot. Last year he was still learning the game and he surprised a lot of people. This year he's gone up a notch. The majority of his tries are from being the last man in a backline movement or gathering an offload. It's a great thing to see and it shows he's following the ball and knows exactly where to be. I'm certain he'll be go back to the NRL one day but I hope he stays in RU until after next year's world cup.

I can understand what you mean about the 360 degrees issue and the different spatial awareness etc.  I think the different fitness requirements would also be an issue.  I think that's what it is though - just different.  I don't know any AFL players, but I am sure they would struggle equally moving to either rugby code with the different fitness requirements.involved, not to mention the collisions and, particularly in League, the need to be back in the game and performing immediately after said collision.  My only other comment would be that some people in AFL obviously thought that he could make the grade in AFL.

As for Falou in union - I realise that he is, and will always be, learning the game but his transition was almost seamless and, whether he fit the bill exactly or not in terms of being a "union" player, he excelled from day one and brought something different and exceptional to the sport, which far out-weighs any deficiencies he may have as a convert.

#24 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

I can understand what you mean about the 360 degrees issue and the different spatial awareness etc.  I think the different fitness requirements would also be an issue.  I think that's what it is though - just different.  I don't know any AFL players, but I am sure they would struggle equally moving to either rugby code with the different fitness requirements.involved, not to mention the collisions and, particularly in League, the need to be back in the game and performing immediately after said collision.  My only other comment would be that some people in AFL obviously thought that he could make the grade in AFL.

As for Falou in union - I realise that he is, and will always be, learning the game but his transition was almost seamless and, whether he fit the bill exactly or not in terms of being a "union" player, he excelled from day one and brought something different and exceptional to the sport, which far out-weighs any deficiencies he may have as a convert.

You're bang on. Aussie Rules is a different sport. Completely different. And it does come down to decision making. You get the ball in that game and you have the following options:

Handball it to another player

Run with it

Kick it.

All the while trying to work out where the opposition is. And this has to be done instantaneous which is what separates the players new to the game and those growing up with it. It becomes instinctual. And I very much doubt any Aussie Rules player would be able to come across to a rugby code and dominate in a short period of time for the reasons you mentioned.

As for Folau, I think he'll probably go down as the best Australian cross-code footballer. He's the complete package.

#25 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

I realise this is being quite pedantic, but how do you learn an instinct?

People called Romans they go the house

#26 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

I realise this is being quite pedantic, but how do you learn an instinct?

I mean it's a leaned decision making process. What to do in that split second when you get the ball. I guess that'd what I meant as "instinctual".

He was competing against players who, since they were little kids, have spent countless hours honing this skill. 

#27 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

I mean it's a leaned decision making process. What to do in that split second when you get the ball. I guess that'd what I meant as "instinctual".

He was competing against players who, since they were little kids, have spent countless hours honing this skill. 

I know what you meant - it made perfect sense. I was just being silly.

People called Romans they go the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users