Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Buying teachers presents at the end of term

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

DIscuss

BTW - I'm totally against it and my wife thinks I'm miserable for thinking so!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'm with you. And when I went to school doing something like that would have been a very quick way to get yourself beaten up.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

At our boys school the parents all put into a collection if they want to which is then used to buy one or two things for each teacher/teaching assistant in the class.  I suppose it all depends on the kids and the staff but I've not had a year where I haven't thought that an extra thank you wasn't appropriate for them.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'm in no doubt some kids leave lovely presents for the teachers. All over their cars or in their desk.

Sometimes I used to wonder if Sir or Miss making it through the year was a gift in itself.

That said, I'd love to see lil Kenny offering Miss Honey a bottle of gin after class... covered in shaving foam.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Bucksyed

Bucksyed
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

My wife is a teacher and she tells the children not to buy presents but as normal she gets innundated with chocolates and the odd bottle of wine . Whether this is down to the children or their parents nobody knows , I suspect it's the parents when it comes to the wine.  At least the grandchildren get extra chocolate  Christmas, Easter & end of term.

I have Kleptomania and when it gets bad I take something for it :tongue: .

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,151 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Like many things it is relatively new but once someone cottoned onto it, Asda etc started filling their shelves with 'gifts for teacher' and now its got its own life.

I wouldn't mind but its not like they actually do any work is it? ;)

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,729 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

I used to cop for a bottle of beer or two and some old spice which was very thoughtful
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Like many things it is relatively new but once someone cottoned onto it, Asda etc started filling their shelves with 'gifts for teacher' and now its got its own life.

I wouldn't mind but its not like they actually do any work is it? ;)

I'm not sure about it being a 'relatively new' occurrence. My Mum was a teacher (she is now 70) and she received gifts all the way through her teaching career, ie the whole of her working life.

Edited by Saintslass, 17 July 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,729 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

I'm not sure about it being a 'relatively new' occurrence. My Mum was a teacher (she is now 70) and she received gifts all the way through her teaching career, ie the whole of her working life.

Me too until I started teaching in the criminal justice system and then thinks kinda changed
Keeping it local

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,052 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

It wasn't a feature of my school years.

However, we used to buy a bottle of something for the postman and th UPS driver every Christmas at work.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

Not something I ever did but I have a few friends who are teachers and they all appreciate the thought. I've been given gifts in the past from students and I feel uncomfortable about it because I'm also the one marking their work.
Fides invicta triumphat

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Its new to me, I don't recall it being the done thing when I was at school.

That said I have a little lad in pre-school and we bought his key worker/teacher a bunch of flowers because she goes above and beyond with him and we really do appreciate what she does.

My daughters in reception at primary school and again, has a very good relationship with her teachers, so we will be sending her in with a little bit of something tomorrow on the last day of term.  If I felt obliged to I wouldn't bother, but her teachers have been great helping her through her first year in school and she loves it so it just feels like the right thing to do.

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...-wales-28291889

I don't ever remember it happening in my days at school.

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing tbh. Different times, different culture.

A Fev Blog

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Having a son who has just left school ,most of the time the "gift for teacher" is actually a competition amongst parents as to who can buy the most expensive gift.Total waste of time.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,729 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Having a son who has just left school ,most of the time the "gift for teacher" is actually a competition amongst parents as to who can buy the most expensive gift.Total waste of time.

In my day it was clearly the work of the children, but you would get cards and letters from parents.
You felt that you were being genuinely appreciated.
Keeping it local

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

In my day it was clearly the work of the children, but you would get cards and letters from parents.
You felt that you were being genuinely appreciated.

Not anymore,as the shelves in stores and online show,it's now a competition.

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,729 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Not anymore,as the shelves in stores and online show,it's now a competition.

it misses the point entirely

Keeping it local

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

it misses the point entirely

Indeed it does.A simple thank you card should suffice,preferably home made.

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Just get your son/daughter to give them a home made card with "Thanks for being a great teacher, enjoy your 6/7 weeks holiday".

That should do the trick.

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,151 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

I've no doubt that some people gave teachers a gift since forever but displays in Tescos etc? That's definitely recent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users