Buying teachers presents at the end of term

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Mate of mine (who later became head boy)broke into school and crapped in the science teachers desk as an end of term thank you for failing him in the chemistry test.
Many moons later he became a teacher himself.

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,606 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

I used to cop for a bottle of beer or two and some old spice which was very thoughtful

splash it on, did you?  

but what did you do with the old spice?   :)  :)

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,606 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Just get your son/daughter to give them a home made card with "Thanks for being a great teacher, enjoy your 6/7 weeks holiday".

That should do the trick.

Good. I like that.  Could also send a card reminding them of their monthly gift from the taxpayer..that should do it!

But serious, though, it really is not just a nonsense, but just plain wrong to buy a gift competitively.  I agree with post #15

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

splash it on, did you?  

but what did you do with the old spice?   :)  :)

made a cocktail of it with Brut, denim  and Hai Karate: unstoppable

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#25 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

As a teacher currently, I receive quite a large number of presents from the kids/parents.

I have mixed feelings about it. Some kids really seem to enjoy giving and it can be a nice personal touch, akin to giving the postman a tip at Christmas etc so in theory I have nothing against it and although often a bit awkward I don't feel guilty about receiving them.

In reality I end up with way more beer, chocolates and 'best teacher' keyrings than I have any need or use for. I prefer it when children make something, even something small like a pot of jam or something. It is also correct that sadly it is becoming more prevalent IMO. In a school I was in previously, maybe 90% of children would bring something whereas in my current school it is probably 50%. However, even in my current school this is increasing and it is due to parents feeling that because one parent is doing it, that they should do it too. The more this happens, the more parents feel that they should. There was a funny piece from Dave Gorman on Easter cards and how once one person gives one before you know it everybody is giving one out of obligation.

The sad result is often that it ends up making some children feel bad and possibly even ridiculed for not bringing anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users