Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Community Board Meeting 16th July

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Well we will soon know if the Community Board have backed the RFL's Player Development, Primary RL, Freedom of movement/Transfer proposals etc etc etc.

The RFL Board meeting scheduled for 31st July is where these significant policies and proposals will be rubber stamped, if the Community Board and the individuals that represent the Community game who all convened yesterday have not stood up to the RFL delegates in the interests of our sport at grassroots level then its a disgrace.

I would sincerely hope that the likes of Trevor Hunt, Peter Moran, Charlie Bray, Sue Taylor etc etc etc............ALL had the balls to put the RFL in their place and fight for what is in the best interests of the sport yesterday, because if they did'nt the 31st July 2014 could be a very sad day for Rugby League.

Some people may not like what I and others have to say about the current state of affairs and the appalling contempt with which the RFL treat the major stakeholders within the sport, but it is said with enthusiasm, passion, pride and no B***S***!!!

The RFL seem to be little more than professional mushroom farmers and bullet dodgers who don't want to enlighten the masses with details or answer straightforward questions relative to policy that impacts on the masses..............hardly the way to creat a transparent environment underpinned by integrity and professionalism.

We can only live in hope now people that the Community Board serves the purpose it was intended for and is not a huge RFL Red Herring that has been out in the Sun to long and is about to stink more than a Cabinet Ministers expenses form!   :(

#2 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

What are the freedom of movement/transfer proposals out of interest?

#3 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

We were told it related to academy players being free to move back to their community clubs but apparently that was just a smoke screen the throw the hounds off the scent .
I am led to believe the true aim and objective was put on the CB table yesterday and the Performance department want the transfer system in the community game to be scrapped and everyone knows what impact that will have on the community game .

#4 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

To me the worst ever decision was allowing players to double up winter and summer given the basic fact that the seasons overlap. I think scrapping the limit on first teamers in the A team has caused a lot of problems with A teamers being forced out and the loss of a lot of A teams the consequence. But this could be really damaging especially to clubs having a bad season. Will probably lead to fewer stronger clubs but lots of damages along the way. I think academy players going back to the community game would be very beneficial though.

Edited by bowes, 17 July 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#5 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Bowes I am sorry to say without doubling up I think both winter and summer would struggle, there should be one season that suits the game. My son played u17, these struggled for games, he then signed U18 both winter, he also played A team winter and college winter, he now plays YM entry summer, we have 35 players registered for the entry team everyone played like my son in the winter and we are running this alongside our NCL team, who are struggling now the holiday season has kicked in.
I don't know what your league do but ours is if a first team player has played 4 1st team games(maybe 6) only 4 in total can play, after Christmas they were pre-season training and our 17/18 had to step up and double up
The scrapping of the transfer system would decimate the game with 2-3 super teams in each area, we have this at the moment with the transfer system but sorry to say there may not be enough players anymore to sustain this

#6 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Bowes I am sorry to say without doubling up I think both winter and summer would struggle, there should be one season that suits the game. My son played u17, these struggled for games, he then signed U18 both winter, he also played A team winter and college winter, he now plays YM entry summer, we have 35 players registered for the entry team everyone played like my son in the winter and we are running this alongside our NCL team, who are struggling now the holiday season has kicked in.
I don't know what your league do but ours is if a first team player has played 4 1st team games(maybe 6) only 4 in total can play, after Christmas they were pre-season training and our 17/18 had to step up and double up
The scrapping of the transfer system would decimate the game with 2-3 super teams in each area, we have this at the moment with the transfer system but sorry to say there may not be enough players anymore to sustain this

I have mixed feelings over someone say playing Pennine league and Yorkshire Men's division 2 or entry league where the seasons don't overlap. To me someone playing NCL and Pennine league is doomed for disaster though as roughly half the season overlaps.

Think the NW Men's League scrapped the reserve rule but not 100% certain. I'm not aware of any restrictions in my local league (Midlands). I can see the temptation of allowing more first teamers in reserves if the latter is calling off games due to lack of numbers but it is a risky strategy

I agree the game should have one season but difficult to get everyone to agree on one there hasn't been a fixed season for 18-19 years now

Edited by bowes, 17 July 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

To me the worst ever decision was allowing players to double up winter and summer given the basic fact that the seasons overlap. I think scrapping the limit on first teamers in the A team has caused a lot of problems with A teamers being forced out and the loss of a lot of A teams the consequence. But this could be really damaging especially to clubs having a bad season. Will probably lead to fewer stronger clubs but lots of damages along the way. I think academy players going back to the community game would be very beneficial though.

If doubling up winter and summer hadn't been allowed the summer game would never have got off the ground in the first place.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#8 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

If doubling up winter and summer hadn't been allowed the summer game would never have got off the ground in the first place.

Depends if that's a RU reference or not? Think it was always a mistake to have a short season rather than fewer clubs and a full season. Nevertheless players trying to play 2 8 month seasons a year is utterly irrational

Edited by bowes, 19 July 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Depends if that's a RU reference or not? Think it was always a mistake to have a short season rather than fewer clubs and a full season. Nevertheless players trying to play 2 8 month seasons a year is utterly irrational

RU doesn't even come into it, The problem you are mentioning was created when and by whom ?

And I don't think there is a chicken an egg sotuation

#10 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

It's basic common sense you can't play a March to November and a September to May season. The RFL created the problem by allowing dual registration in both seasons when players should have been asked to choose.

Edited by bowes, 19 July 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Skipping the question of who caused the problems, who painted over the truth about summer rugby and it's frail structure, who conducted a selected players survey on which season would be best to play in, who either manipulated people into positions of power within the amateur game or simply bought them off with promises or 10k, who is constantly not listening to the people on the ground doing the spade work within the amateur game and then you have a certain type who on the back of PM's around the amateur game believe they know what is the actual feeling of the players/officials.

#12 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

clubs voted to move to summer 28-10

#13 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Unlikely to get anything like that now and they know it.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

I don't think they would get the vote to stop summer if done transparently

#15 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Perhaps there'd be a smaller majority in favour of summer out of the original 38 but remember we've gained lots of predominantly summer supporting clubs since then.

#16 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

I wonder how many regret the decision or think it has been a good move

Perhaps there'd be a smaller majority in favour of summer out of the original 38 but remember we've gained lots of predominantly summer supporting clubs since then.

Please name me some NEW teams we have gained since the switch that were not winter before, are the A team of clubs, or so called tier 4 they have been playing Summer for 10-15-20 years I don't think the teams are expanding in fact look at London possibly the worst ever

#17 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I meant new to the NCL which is the biggest it's been and there's some very good new sides. The game outside the heartlands has had all RFL development money pulled and resources focused on regional academies and the Championship 1 sides. For what it's worth if the Championship 1 sides can run reserve teams over a full season it would be worth the short season community game suffering. There's been a couple of new clubs though eg Beeston Broncos and East Manchester Rangers and Mancunians have become a proper side rather than a short season one.

#18 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

Portico Vine have reformed and Orrell St James

#19 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

I meant new to the NCL which is the biggest it's been and there's some very good new sides. The game outside the heartlands has had all RFL development money pulled and resources focused on regional academies and the Championship 1 sides. For what it's worth if the Championship 1 sides can run reserve teams over a full season it would be worth the short season community game suffering. There's been a couple of new clubs though eg Beeston Broncos and East Manchester Rangers and Mancunians have become a proper side rather than a short season one.

And why do you think have they gone in to the NCL, rather than in to their respective regional leagues?

#20 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Portico Vine have reformed and Orrell St James

Really ????