TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Joy Of The Guitar Riff tonight BBC 4 9pm

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

looking forward to that.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Later the same night, 'Sound City' is very much worth watching. If it's too late a start, record it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Bucksyed

Bucksyed
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the reminder , all 3 programmes have been set to record tonight.

Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

looking forward to that.

It's all been rather predictable so far, for the most part.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

It's all been rather predictable so far, for the most part.

well yes, and there were some massive omissions. I still enjoyed it. Chuck Berry but not Bo Diddley, no Wild Thing, blah blah

The programme that followed it about Sound City recording studios was ghastly, so many up their own ass multi millionaire mediocrities talking about their 'art'. Every time I see a member of so called fleetwood mac I expect them to come out with some drivel about the emotional tensions involved in the recording of Rumours. A pox on all of em

Keeping it local

#6 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

The Friday night music programmes on BBC4 have the potential to be great tv, but most ends up a little disappointing.

The BBC must have 100's of hours of archive that they can show, but most ends up being a collation of dodgy miming performances from Top of the Pops, with the odd gem from Whistle Test or another source thrown in. And their TOTP archive must be shrinking with all the dodgy goings-on by their presenters, that they now can't show.

Still better than Eastenders or Corrie or Location, Location et al though.

Edited by shaun mc, 19 July 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

It was nice to see Dave Davies get a word in
Well played that man
Keeping it local

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

It was nice to see Dave Davies get a word in
Well played that man

The forgotten man.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Next Friday on BBC4 - Prom concert, Northern Soul, Motown at the BBC and a documentary about Prince.

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

well yes, and there were some massive omissions. I still enjoyed it. Chuck Berry but not Bo Diddley, no Wild Thing, blah blah

The programme that followed it about Sound City recording studios was ghastly, so many up their own ass multi millionaire mediocrities talking about their 'art'. Every time I see a member of so called fleetwood mac I expect them to come out with some drivel about the emotional tensions involved in the recording of Rumours. A pox on all of em

I trust you exempt Peter Green (the founder of FM) from that.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

I trust you exempt Peter Green (the founder of FM) from that.

That's why I said so called fleetwood mac
Keeping it local

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

That's why I said so called fleetwood mac

You are that caller on Down The line and I claim my £5.

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

I didn't know it was on so missed it. My favourite guitar riffs are the Eric Clapton riff from Layla and (presumably) Ronnie Wood's on "Cindy Incidentally"

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

I didn't know it was on so missed it. My favourite guitar riffs are the Eric Clapton riff from Layla and (presumably) Ronnie Wood's on "Cindy Incidentally"

Repeted at 11:30pm tonight.

#15 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

My bull ###### detector was twitching throughout the programme but it nearly exploded when somebody started talking about Sonic Youth's 'avant-garde tuning'.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Pretty sure Clapton didn't actually play Layla.....I think it was one of the Alman Brothers. .Duane I think. I could possibly be wrong there tho...(yes I know its unlikely ;) )

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

Pretty sure Clapton didn't actually play Layla.....I think it was one of the Alman Brothers. .Duane I think. I could possibly be wrong there tho...(yes I know its unlikely ;) )

Allman played the solo on 'Layla', I'd assume Clapton played the riff, as the two run concurrently at times during the song.

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Later the same night, 'Sound City' is very much worth watching. If it's too late a start, record it.

Just watched that. I really enjoyed it.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Just watched that. I really enjoyed it.

A rule of thumb - if it's got Tom Petty in it, it's probably good.

The exception that proves the rule is the movie 'The Postman'.

Edited by Futtocks, 20 July 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

A rule of thumb - if it's got Tom Petty in it, it's probably good.

The exception that proves the rule is the movie 'The Postman'.

Tom petty is one if my main men
But I thought the programme was ghastly
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users