Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Joy Of The Guitar Riff tonight BBC 4 9pm

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

A rule of thumb - if it's got Tom Petty in it, it's probably good.

The exception that proves the rule is the movie 'The Postman'.

It also had the added bonus of a few brief contributions from my boyhood rock hero, John Fogerty.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

It also had the added bonus of a few brief contributions from my boyhood rock hero, John Fogerty.

his stuff still sounds fresh. I listen to it a lot.

Fortunate Son is one of the best protest songs of the era. There is a very good new(ish) version in which he duets with Dave Grohl.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

What a complete waste of time this programme was, confusing riffs with motifs and melodic lines - The Shadows!?!. So much missing from the programme and so much that shouldn't have been there at all. And the suggestion that Chuck Berry invented the guitar riff is ludicrous - have the producers not heard of Blues and Jazz?

LUNEW.jpg

#24 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

I'm pretty sure that John Fogerty once said that he had dozens of good songs but wouldn't put them out. He didn't need the money and would be obliged to issue them  under longstanding contracts that he wasn't happy with.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#25 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

his stuff still sounds fresh. I listen to it a lot.

Fortunate Son is one of the best protest songs of the era. There is a very good new(ish) version in which he duets with Dave Grohl.

That's something I'm definitely going to have to check out.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

What a complete waste of time this programme was, confusing riffs with motifs and melodic lines - The Shadows!?!. So much missing from the programme and so much that shouldn't have been there at all. And the suggestion that Chuck Berry invented the guitar riff is ludicrous - have the producers not heard of Blues and Jazz?

Spot on. The idea was good, but the execution was a mess.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

That's something I'm definitely going to have to check out.

I've got it on an album, called 'wrote this song for you' I think. It's a very interestiing album

Keeping it local

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

the nearest thing to a riff on Apache is Bruce Welch's rhythm licks, as good a piece of rhythm guitar playing as you will ever hear.

I agree with you about the show. They should have chosen Bo Diddley rather than Chuck Berry, and I don't know where on earth they got some of the stuff from. I had a good time watching it though-mostly: cab sacv, good company and all that.

Keeping it local

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

L'Ange, do you have a group line-up for that Fogerty song? 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

the nearest thing to a riff on Apache is Bruce Welch's rhythm licks, as good a piece of rhythm guitar playing as you will ever hear.

I agree with you about the show. They should have chosen Bo Diddley rather than Chuck Berry, and I don't know where on earth they got some of the stuff from. I had a good time watching it though-mostly: cab sacv, good company and all that.

Nice to see Link Wray getting a mention, but overall it was an unfocussed attempt at what, with the BBC's archives, could have been a great programme..

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

L'Ange, do you have a group line-up for that Fogerty song? 

I downloaded the album, so I haven't got the literature. I think it just says with dave Grohl' I've read stuff about it. It's a google away and grabbed a bit more info, but I forget now.

Keeping it local

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

I downloaded the album, so I haven't got the literature. I think it just says with dave Grohl' I've read stuff about it. It's a google away and grabbed a bit more info, but I forget now.

A cursory search suggests that it wasn't just Grohl, but all the Foo Fighters on that track.

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

A cursory search suggests that it wasn't just Grohl, but all the Foo Fighters on that track.

I think you are correct

Keeping it local

#34 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

Proper hipster thread this. Don't know what people were expecting but the programme was alright. You are never going to please everyone and for every artist they feature there are many more where you could say 'why is such and such there over thingabebob'. I guess its down to who they can get interviews with and what footage they have access to.

It did make me reach for my neglected Epiphone and check out a few tabs. Job done.
Fides invicta triumphat

#35 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Interesting fact regarding Smells Like Teen Spirit. The famous riff that the program attributed to Kurt Cobain was actually written by Grohl according to Kurt Cobain's official biography. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Interesting fact regarding Smells Like Teen Spirit. The famous riff that the program attributed to Kurt Cobain was actually written by Grohl according to Kurt Cobain's official biography. 

...and some people also theorise that that riff was inspired by 'More than a Feeling' by Boston.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

...and some people also theorise that that riff was inspired by 'More than a Feeling' by Boston.

that is the ultimate air instrument song

you can do them all

Keeping it local

#38 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Classic Pedal Steel Riff ... the last minute and a half  from Al Perkins:

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

I thought Pete Kleinow played pedal steel on that album.

#40 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

This version of the track is actually taken not from The Gilded Palace of Sin but from The Last of the Red Hot Burritos ... an album that has never been reproduced as a cd.   

[Boo!! Sulk]

http://en.wikipedia....ed_Hot_Burritos

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Al_Perkins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users