Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Joy Of The Guitar Riff tonight BBC 4 9pm

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Since nobody else has done it I thought I'd bump the thread in the light of Radio 2's recent poll.

Here's the top 100 according to their listeners, with about a thirty second snippet of each. The rule was only one riff allowed per artist.

Enjoy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rt/guitar-riffs

Cheers

That will keep me occupied for a while.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#62 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

That top ten is probably the same as the 'banned riffs' list you find in guitar shops...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#63 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

I can play Smoke on the Water on the bass. (Not the whole thing, literally the riff :D

Thinking of putting that on my cv.

#64 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

you need love by the small faces is a song written by Willie Dixon and originally recorded by Muddy waters. Ive got a copy somewhere.

Whole Lotta Love is a rip off of that

One of my all time favourite riffs is the Yarbirds' version of Train Kept A Rollin'. I don't know who did the original but I reckon you might.

There is a sort of link between that riff and the top 100 list because Jimmy Page had joined the Yardbirds by the time they reworked the tune for the film Blow Up. Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, that must have been some twin guitar attack.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#65 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

Motorhead do a great version of Train kept-a-rollin.

#66 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

You can't knock Lemmy's rock 'n' roll instincts.

#67 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

From the first album on Chiswick if I remember correctly.

#68 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

From the first album on Chiswick if I remember correctly.

Yep,last track on side 2.