Comical Cummings' Critical Commentary

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Another poor performance from the team of officials tonight.

It's a real problem which is mow being compounded by the muffled chirpings of Stuart Cummings in the back of the commentary box.

He is disagreeing with more & more of the decisions from both the ref on the park and the video ref.

It's now a real pantomime with Eddie & Stevo making it a bigger farce.

As usual, the silence from Red Hall is deafening. Come on gentlemen - lets see a bit of basic leadership & communication.

2 great games overshadowed by a standard of officiating that is not acceptable.

Edited by Bomballey, 18 July 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#2 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

As usual, the silence from Red Hall is deafening. Come on gentlemen - lets see a bit of basic leadership & communication.

Don't be silly.

People called Romans they go the house

#3 johnh1

johnh1
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

So what was the problem tonight. Ok, a Widnes try should have been disallowed for a dropped ball, but the ref gave it as he saw it. People moan when they go to the video ref and they moan when they don't. I thought (as a neutral) that the officias had a good game tonight.

#4 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

So what was the problem tonight. Ok, a Widnes try should have been disallowed for a dropped ball, but the ref gave it as he saw it. People moan when they go to the video ref and they moan when they don't. I thought (as a neutral) that the officias had a good game tonight.

It's the constant droning about decisions by the commentary team.

It took 8 looks at the disallowed try from a high kick then still got it wrong followed by a whining debate - it's tiresome.

The disallowed carney try has recovered more post match coverage of last nights game than anything else - it was a try every day of the year

I'd rather the focus was on the rugby not the standard of officiating

#5 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

Don't be silly.

Well structured response.

You must be satisfied with the recent obstruction decisions and all the column inches they are getting then?

That Widnes try near the end that was disallowed was a total embarrassment.

It's a problem in the game that needs resolving quickly.

Any decent governing body would have gripped it by now.

#6 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

Another poor performance from the team of officials tonight.
It's a real problem which is mow being compounded by the muffled chirpings of Stuart Cummings in the back of the commentary box.
He is disagreeing with more & more of the decisions from both the ref on the park and the video ref.
It's now a real pantomime with Eddie & Stevo making it a bigger farce.

BA, i was fuming when Carneys try was disallowed but tbh the standard of reffing is no worse now than the good old days of Sgt Clay, Lindop, Thompson etc.

You go on about Cummings chirpings thats because every TV game has multiple camera angles, incidents are played back immediately from numerous angles. In any televised game you get quite a few 50/50 calls where the ref makes a split second call when the game is in flow. In the days of Eddie Waring TV was not as sophisticated so many incidents were either not reffered to or not even noticed.

What I don't like about SKY is that they replay every contentious call so that Cummings can then make a comment after seeing the incident from many angles. This is just belittling refs - and its the same in football and RU.

Each game you hear Eddie and Stevo apologise to the ref after they moaned about a decision then thevreplay shows the ref was right. The problem with this is that viewers immediatley get a negative view of the ref.

#7 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Cummings was a dreadful ref, far too arrogant to listen to his TJs. Reffing is about interpretation of the rules and there will be disagreements.  Cummings has gone from defending every decision to disagreeing with the ref. I sense SKYs hand in here. 

#8 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

One day, it will be recognised that, no matter how many cameras and however many views, there is no perfect way of getting every single decision spot on [even arguably "spot on"] so the sooner we end the search for the 'holy grail' and just get back to relying on one honest individual [with all his human failings] to just call it as he sees it, the better.

Of course referees are not always correct, whatever it says in tomorrow's paper, but it was a better game, imo, when we just accepted the decision and got on with the game. If we wish, we can always argue the ins and outs in the pub afterwards and of course on here but the best place for the video is in the bin.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#9 Vambo

Vambo
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

One day, it will be recognised that, no matter how many cameras and however many views, there is no perfect way of getting every single decision spot on [even arguably "spot on"] so the sooner we end the search for the 'holy grail' and just get back to relying on one honest individual [with all his human failings] to just call it as he sees it, the better.

Of course referees are not always correct, whatever it says in tomorrow's paper, but it was a better game, imo, when we just accepted the decision and got on with the game. If we wish, we can always argue the ins and outs in the pub afterwards and of course on here but the best place for the video is in the bin.

Agree 100%

Posted Image

#10 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

I'd rather the focus was on the rugby not the standard of officiating

So why start a thread about the standard of officiating

#11 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

So why start a thread about the standard of officiating

Smashing question!

I guess it's because every time I watch a game all I'm hearing is the obstruction rule - it's a massive distraction.

The blame lies with the governing body by the way - not the referees who are simply following orders.

I spoke to a guy last week who is an occasional fan - he described it as a circus when a video ref is ruling on a potential obstruction - it's doing our game no good

#12 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Shame not everyone in life,is as faultless as you Bomballey - the usual monday morning quarterback.

You could always take a referee's course - no,I didn't think so.

It's always the least successful in life who criticise others.

#13 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Shame not everyone in life,is as faultless as you Bomballey - the usual monday morning quarterback.

Not sure that there are stats to back that up but thanks anyway.

A pound to a penny that at least one of the remaining big games of the season is decided by a disallowed try for obstruction that will be ridiculed by all and sundry especially guys who have played the game.

It will leave a bitter tease in the mouth but let's just plod on and not do anything about it.

#14 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

These refs are full-time paid professionals, not Sunday park league volunteers.

#15 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Why have we made celebrities out of the match officials?

That's my question, years ago the officials (just 3 of them) would wait in the centre of the field for the teams to come out, now the teams come out and wait for the 3rd team, the officials, (all 6 of them) to trot out in their flashy sponsored kit, ref with ball tightly tucked under his arm at the front.

We've now gone further by having a referee in the commentary box and even further by having the video refs, in their smart tailored shirts and suits, being filmed as they fiddle with the touch screen.

Can we please get back to watching the two teams that we really pay to see playing Rugby league

#16 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Why have we made celebrities out of the match officials?

That's my question, years ago the officials (just 3 of them) would wait in the centre of the field for the teams to come out, now the teams come out and

You're right, Eric Clay, Robin Whitfield and John Holdsworth were entirely ego-less and were never the focus of attention or complaint. Was it Holdsworth who used to run onto the pitch at Headingley, jog over to the South Stand, wave the ball at the fans and then head over to the centre spot for kick off?

Go back 20 years or 30 years and, surprise surprise, fans were saying the refereeing has never been worse, this bloke's bent, that bloke's got it in for my team and Karl Kirkpatrick's lucky that he is quick on his feet. Back in the early 90s it was the end result of some giant Maurice Lindsay/RFL conspiracy. Just because it feels like it's a new phenomenon it really isn't. The main problem is that in RL a referee has to make a decision whether to intervene on every single play; there is so much you could give but don't that there is a huge amount of interpretation. Muppets then watching in slo-mo after the event can easily pick up on something which has been overlooked or incorrectly called; but that doesn't mean there is any productive reason to do so. If a call goes against your team, unlucky. To be the best you need to overcome adversity, not wallow in it.

Edited by M j M, 19 July 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#17 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Was it Holdsworth who used to run onto the pitch at Headingley, jog over to the South Stand, wave the ball at the fans and then head over to the centre spot for kick off?

I think that was Robin Whitfield.

I said on the Widnes/Warrington thread I would like to see Sky revamp their commentary style.

When a call is made for a VR decision switch of the commentary teams microphones. On some nights you can have up to six people giving their opinion on the replays, with at least two of them not having a clue what they are on about. It almost becomes a competition to see who guesses what the VR's verdict will be and you are often bombarded with misleading information.

At the end of the day the only blokes opinion who counts is the VR. Let him explain his thought process and analysis in the manor Ian Smith used to do on Premier Sports Championship coverage. It worked well and was allowed to due to Dave Woods not itching to get his twopennarth in like Eddie does.

This method would also eradicate a lot of Stevo's need to apologise to the ref when he has totally mis-called an incident which the on field ref was far better placed to make. It sheds a poor light on the refs who I genuinely believe are the envy of a lot of other sports.

I once heard an interview with Martin Tyler the football commentator. He said he was paid to comment on the action being played out in front of him, not to provide opinion on tatics or refereeing decisions, that was the job of his co-commentator. Eddie could learn something there.

Stuart Cummings' role is baffling to me. What other sport had an ex-referee to explain the laws of the game all the time. It seems an open admission by Sky that their two chief commentators are not very clued up on Rugby League. Perhaps a refereeing course may help them?

Edited by Railway End, 19 July 2014 - 03:00 PM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#18 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

I said on the Widnes/Warrington thread I would like to see Sky revamp their commentary style.

When a call is made for a VR decision switch of the commentary teams microphones. On some nights you can have up to six people giving their opinion on the replays, with at least two of them not having a clue what they are on about. It almost becomes a competition to see who guesses what the VR's verdict will be and you are often bombarded with misleading information.

At the end of the day the only blokes opinion who counts is the VR. Let him explain his thought process and analysis in the manor Ian Smith used to do on Premier Sports Championship coverage. It worked well and was allowed to due to Dave Woods not itching to get his twopennarth in like Eddie does.

This method would also eradicate a lot of Stevo's need to apologise to the ref when he has totally mis-called an incident which the on field ref was far better placed to make. It sheds a poor light on the refs who I genuinely believe are the envy of a lot of other sports.

I once heard an interview with Martin Tyler the football commentator. He said he was paid to comment on the action being played out in front of him, not to provide opinion on tatics or refereeing decisions, that was the job of his co-commentator. Eddie could learn something there.

Great post. Nailed it.

#19 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Stuart Cummings' role is baffling to me. What other sport had an ex-referee to explain the laws of the game all the time. It seems an open admission by Sky that their two chief commentators are not very clued up on Rugby League. Perhaps a refereeing course may help them?

One big problem seems to be that the 'ref in the box' gets the video calls wrong / has a different opinion to the ref in charge, almost as often as the commentators.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#20 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

One big problem seems to be that the 'ref in the box' gets the video calls wrong / has a different opinion to the ref in charge, almost as often as the commentators.

Spot on. It sounds chaotic. Oh yes he did - oh no he didn't

Needs dealing with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users