Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Comical Cummings' Critical Commentary

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

You're right, Eric Clay, Robin Whitfield and John Holdsworth were entirely ego-less and were never the focus of attention or complaint. Was it Holdsworth who used to run onto the pitch at Headingley, jog over to the South Stand, wave the ball at the fans and then head over to the centre spot for kick off?

Go back 20 years or 30 years and, surprise surprise, fans were saying the refereeing has never been worse, this bloke's bent, that bloke's got it in for my team and Karl Kirkpatrick's lucky that he is quick on his feet. Back in the early 90s it was the end result of some giant Maurice Lindsay/RFL conspiracy. Just because it feels like it's a new phenomenon it really isn't. The main problem is that in RL a referee has to make a decision whether to intervene on every single play; there is so much you could give but don't that there is a huge amount of interpretation. Muppets then watching in slo-mo after the event can easily pick up on something which has been overlooked or incorrectly called; but that doesn't mean there is any productive reason to do so. If a call goes against your team, unlucky. To be the best you need to overcome adversity, not wallow in it.

None of which is relevant to anything I posted
  • dkw likes this

#22 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Its the constant droning of so called supporters that gets my goat. 

Stop watching the officials and pretending you know better, watch the players and admit you have no chance of being better than them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#23 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Its the constant droning of so called supporters that gets my goat.

Stop watching the officials and pretending you know better, watch the players and admit you have no chance of being better than them.

I want to stop talking about the officials. Isn't this thread about our irritation that Sky seem intent on making dramas out of refereeing decisions?

I for one would love it if there was more emphasis on the skill, athletism, bravery and decision making under pressure shown by the players of this great game!

Edited by Railway End, 19 July 2014 - 07:22 PM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

I want to stop talking about the officials. Isn't this thread about our irritation that Sky seem intent on making dramas out of refereeing decisions?

I for one would love it if there was more emphasis on the skill, athletism, bravery and decision making under pressure shown by the players of this great game!

Sky feed on what they see and hear from fans and what they are interested in.

We feed negativity they bite on it and grow fat on it,

If the viewing public in general showed they wanted to discuss the positives then Sky would follow that trend,

Sky operates like the Sun 'newspaper', it will follow the popular view. It doesn't create the view, but feeds the trend.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Refs make thousands of spilt second decisions during a game. They have made mistakes, they do make mistakes they always will make mistakes. But they make fewer than the players. It is the pathetic whining of Sky, in their desperation to create "controversy" and drama which needs to end.

The alternative is to video ref every decision which would kill the game.

#26 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Sky feed on what they see and hear from fans and what they are interested in.

We feed negativity they bite on it and grow fat on it,

If the viewing public in general showed they wanted to discuss the positives then Sky would follow that trend,

Sky operates like the Sun 'newspaper', it will follow the popular view. It doesn't create the view, but feeds the trend.

Interesting, I'd not thought about it in those terms.

Is Sky's main concern not viewing figures and number of subscribers? Would not promoting the many positives the game has to offer rather than the over critical analysis of referees attract more new viewers to the game?

I don't know the answer, but a combination of listening to the pantomime commentary and over zealous video refereeing is about to lose them at least one customer.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#27 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Stevo's 'analysis' of a try,invariably amounts to little more than a random call of 'forward pass?'.

It's certainly true that the idiots Hemmings and Stevo,make far more mistakes in a game than any referee.Even when Stevo is continuously shown to be wrong by Clarke etc,he still desperately tries to justify his 'opinion'.

He does now appear to have learnt a third adjective - after years of confused and furious,he has now learnt pathetic - he truely is.

#28 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

I like Stuart Cummings comments, he knows the rules.
Previously we were given Mike Stevenson's opinion on what he thought the rules should be but not what they are.
If SC tells what the rules are and the ref goes against it, well so be it.
At least we've been informed as to what the rule was in a given situation.

#29 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Well, all rules start with  - "if in the opinion of the referee". So, what actually happens isn't totally relevant - it's more to do with what appears to happen from the referee's position on the field. I assume all referees are tested on their knowledge of the rules but sometimes there is just no accounting for what an individual does, as I'm sure many players could also testify.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#30 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

If only everybody who has to make a decision,could be sat in an armchair,view every incident six times,each from a different angle and in slow motion,I tend to believe most decisions would be correct.Unfortunately,that cannot be the case.

If only Stevo would leave with some dignity but unfortunately,he still wants another pay day and unbelievably,Sky seem happy to give him it.

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

In either Open Rugby or RLW (can't remember what it was called at the time), Greg McCallum used to have a monthly column where he responded to fans' queries about controversial decisions.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Why have we made celebrities out of the match officials?

Endless posts on the internet expounding half-baked theories about how one referee or other is biased against the poster's team. 

A total lack of endless posts on the internet expounding half-baked theories about how one referee or other is biased in favour of the poster's team.

Hyperbolic commentary from Eddie'n'Stevo.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#33 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

I think that was Robin Whitfield.
I said on the Widnes/Warrington thread I would like to see Sky revamp their commentary style.
When a call is made for a VR decision switch of the commentary teams microphones. On some nights you can have up to six people giving their opinion on the replays, with at least two of them not having a clue what they are on about. It almost becomes a competition to see who guesses what the VR's verdict will be and you are often bombarded with misleading information.
At the end of the day the only blokes opinion who counts is the VR. Let him explain his thought process and analysis in the manor Ian Smith used to do on Premier Sports Championship coverage. It worked well and was allowed to due to Dave Woods not itching to get his twopennarth in like Eddie does.
This method would also eradicate a lot of Stevo's need to apologise to the ref when he has totally mis-called an incident which the on field ref was far better placed to make. It sheds a poor light on the refs who I genuinely believe are the envy of a lot of other sports.
I once heard an interview with Martin Tyler the football commentator. He said he was paid to comment on the action being played out in front of him, not to provide opinion on tatics or refereeing decisions, that was the job of his co-commentator. Eddie could learn something there.
Stuart Cummings' role is baffling to me. What other sport had an ex-referee to explain the laws of the game all the time. It seems an open admission by Sky that their two chief commentators are not very clued up on Rugby League. Perhaps a refereeing course may help them?

Them 2 clowns were arguing with each other at the weekend, and they are that used to doing it, they were both arguing the same point.

The coverage was much better when Eddie was missing those couple of games, it gave Baldy no one to argue with.

HW

#34 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

Without entering into a diatribe - it might be easier if the emphasis on the laws of the game wasn't changed every season!

It's got to be baffling for fledgling fans when they change it from one season to the next and occasionally mid season.

Some laws are enforced with vigour and others totally disregarded (Moving off the mark).

I'd prefer all the laws to be used or at least left to the referees to make their own decisions so you know what you'll get.

The comments by Wayne saying he sets the Wigan side up differently for televised games to none televised games rather sums it up for me!

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#35 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

If only everybody who has to make a decision,could be sat in an armchair,view every incident six times,each from a different angle and in slow motion,I tend to believe most decisions would be correct.Unfortunately,that cannot be the case.

If only Stevo would leave with some dignity but unfortunately,he still wants another pay day and unbelievably,Sky seem happy to give him it.

Well, yes of course they do. He is controversial and gets people talking [hence threads like this one] and the more outlandish his outbursts the more we rise, like moths to a flame, to put him down. Many years ago someone said, "there is no such thing as bad publicity", and for Stevo and Sky they were absolutely correct.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#36 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Am I the only one who finds that when Ben Thaler is the Video Referee, he always comes to the exact opposite decision that I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users