Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greg Johnson for England!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

We all know that Ryan Hall is the best English winger and one of the best in the world, debate in the past couple of years has been centered around whether Josh Charnley or Tom Briscoe should fill the other wing spot. I've not been majorly impressed with either of them this season. Charnley has been in and out of the Wigan team through injury and Briscoe hasn't quite reached his potential yet. Greg Johnson was one of the only players to shine when Salford had a bad run of form in the first part of the season and I was interested to see whether he could pick that form up again upon his return from injury and he has been outstanding, I think he's a must for the other wing spot...get him in!!

#2 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

The other wing spot is Tommy Makinson's to lose surely
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#3 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

The other wing spot is Tommy Makinson's to lose surely

He's a good finisher but not international class

#4 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

Very open for that wing spot. I am going to be watching Mason Caton-Brown's progress over the next few weeks. Although making his name as a centre, his pace is electric and could be an outside bet for the squad and perhaps a wing spot. I remember players like Phil Ford, Paul Loughlin, Keith Senior etc. breaking through on the wing before moving in field.

Briscoe seems to have gone off the boil a little. Charnley had the spot and now needs to fire in the last part of the season. I'm not convinced about Makinson. He is a good finisher but isn't particularly devastating in broken play.

#5 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Good shout on Caton-Brown, he was actually a centre at London for most of this season. He's just a freak of nature and definitely a consideration for the other centre spot. 

#6 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Caton-brown n Johnson have elusive off the mark pace like Keiran Dixon but i dont think they have the full package of defence n taking a high ball n all the other quality you need to be international imo

My backline for the near future would be tomkins charnley shenton watkins hall
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

what about joe burgess?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I like Johnson and hope he continues to improve over the next few years, he is one of those players that get fans excited when he has the ball.

But i think England will need bigger outside backs to contain their opposites in the 4 Nations.

Thats why Hall has been successful at International level because he is big and a great finisher.

I would even consider Leroy Cudjoe for the other wing.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

We all know that Ryan Hall is the best English winger and one of the best in the world, debate in the past couple of years has been centered around whether Josh Charnley or Tom Briscoe should fill the other wing spot. I've not been majorly impressed with either of them this season. Charnley has been in and out of the Wigan team through injury and Briscoe hasn't quite reached his potential yet. Greg Johnson was one of the only players to shine when Salford had a bad run of form in the first part of the season and I was interested to see whether he could pick that form up again upon his return from injury and he has been outstanding, I think he's a must for the other wing spot...get him in!!

This is weird as I couldn't agree more with you about Greg Johnson, so much so I was also considering starting a thread myself on Johnson for England. For me he's got fantastic pace and great physical strength and like you say with the likes of briscoe and charnley not pulling up any trees I would throw him in the starting 13, the kiwis don't hold back in throwing their young players into the starting 13 or on the bench like RTS, Inu, hiku, kenny-dowall etc. also I would seriously think about taking caton-brown as a back up player, why persist with experienced players like cudjoe, Atkins, yeaman etc who just don't cut it at international level when you have young exciting players who you know are going to be top class/international players in the near future.

#10 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

Harsh reality; he's not big enough. He would be bombed to death, which allied with the six feet plus opposition wingers would make things even more difficult.

#11 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Harsh reality; he's not big enough. He would be bombed to death, which allied with the six feet plus opposition wingers would make things even more difficult.

Absolute rubbish, was Jason Robinson big enough?

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

stop with the supermen complex lol

theres only manu vatuvei at 6ft 3 thats over (only a inch taller that ryan hall)

aside from that our wingers size up really well against the aussies & kiwis

Edited by roughyedspud, 19 July 2014 - 03:58 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

To be fair, in his last few years in league he was targeted with the kick. Just watch Nick Pinkney's try for Sheffield in the 1998 cup final. Cross kicks are an even bigger part of the game now. Fielding kicks is only a part of the game though and other wingers have handled not being hugely tall as you say.

Edited by Scubby, 19 July 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#14 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Jason Robinson? What about Paul Eastwood or Des Drummond? Care to go any further back in time?

#15 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hmm, Hall has scored 18 tries from 22 games. Charnley has 14 tries from just 11 games. So just who should we be debating as second choice winger?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#16 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hmm, Hall has scored 18 tries from 22 games. Charnley has 14 tries from just 11 games. So just who should we be debating as second choice winger?

Oh, and Johnson has scored a paltry 6 tries from 15 games.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Oh, and Johnson has scored a paltry 6 tries from 15 games.

Playing in a poorer side.

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

greg inglis only has 6 this season too

OLDHAM RLFC

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

For me Johnson is faster than charnley and more explosive while I wouldn't pick Tom briscoe as he's been in poor form so far this season.

#20 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

If we are ever going to win a tournament we need genuine speed in the 3/4's and speed and creativity in the halves.