Greg Johnson for England!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Whilst I think Charnley and Briscoe are top class players, I think if you swapped Johnson with either of them and put him in the Leeds or Wigan team his try scoring return would be higher.
Also thought Charnley got exposed a bit in the World Cup.

#22 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hmm, Hall has scored 18 tries from 22 games. Charnley has 14 tries from just 11 games. So just who should we be debating as second choice winger?

Wigan's style of attack is made for Charnley, dominate the centre of the field and move the ball out wide using dummy runners and runners at angles. Don't get me wrong he's quality, I just think Johnson can make something out of nothing.

#23 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hmm, Hall has scored 18 tries from 22 games. Charnley has 14 tries from just 11 games. So just who should we be debating as second choice winger?

Charnleys defence is a real issue!

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

hes there to score tries not tackle

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#25 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

and Makinson has 20 from 22 appearances despite the pretty poor service he's had from Turner most of this season

#26 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

and Makinson has 20 from 22 appearances despite the pretty poor service he's had from Turner most of this season

Indeed. I was just trying to make the point that I don't think Hall is at his best this season from what I've seen of him and isn't, as he has been in past seasons, head and shoulders above other contenders for an England place. From what I've seen he looks a bit overly bulky and not quite as quick as he's been in previous seasons. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#27 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hall is Hall and will get picked.
Charnley is faster than Johnson.
Makinson isn't fast enough or good enough.
Burgess is injured we find out today whether it's a six or ten week lay off.

#28 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Charnley is faster than Johnson and the point is? Does this mean we should call up Dwayne Chambers to the England squad?

#29 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

Charnley is faster than Johnson and the point is? Does this mean we should call up Dwayne Chambers to the England squad?

No, but when you take into account he is scoring more than one try per game so far this season and scored 46 tries from 37 appearances last season it is certainly relevant.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#30 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

I think we should play as many kids as are good enough in the 4 nations. Get them ready for the next World Cup, when Hall, Cudjoe etc will be too old and too slow!

#31 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Nobody should question Halls inclusion in the England squad. He has consistently scored tries against Southern Hemisphere opposition.

The other wing spot for me is Joe Burgess. Excellent under the high ball and exceptionally quick. Always looks for work and is solid in defence. Only his first season in SL also.

#32 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

No, but when you take into account he is scoring more than one try per game so far this season and scored 46 tries from 37 appearances last season it is certainly relevant.

But his defence has been awful leading to him being dropped at club level and even since his recall his decision making, tackling and positional sense are suspect.

#33 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

Nobody should question Halls inclusion in the England squad. He has consistently scored tries against Southern Hemisphere opposition.
The other wing spot for me is Joe Burgess. Excellent under the high ball and exceptionally quick. Always looks for work and is solid in defence. Only his first season in SL also.

For me the sky's the limit for joe burgess, every now and then players burst onto the scene and you just know they are top drawer international quality.

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

adam swift and jack owens are alos ones to put in the frame 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#35 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

adam swift and jack owens are alos ones to put in the frame

I like both players but at this stage I'd earmark them as competent SL players for years to come who will always lack that special something needed for international rugby.

Posted Image

#36 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Charnley is overrated. He scores bagful of tries, but his defence is poor. I wonder if he'd even make the squad if he played for say Widnes. Joe Burgess is fearless and I think if you put him up against the Aussies, he wouldn't look out of place. Most of the Australia team is over 6ft, so if we could have two tall wingers that would help us. 

#37 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Charnley is overrated. He scores bagful of tries, but his defence is poor. I wonder if he'd even make the squad if he played for say Widnes. Joe Burgess is fearless and I think if you put him up against the Aussies, he wouldn't look out of place. Most of the Australia team is over 6ft, so if we could have two tall wingers that would help us.

I think charnley is a good domestic player but just not international quality while burgess looks like he would be both

#38 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

I like the look of Manfredi as well, I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops

#39 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

I like both players but at this stage I'd earmark them as competent SL players for years to come who will always lack that special something needed for international rugby.

sorry but i think both have the necessary skill and potential to go forward 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#40 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

sorry but i think both have the necessary skill and potential to go forward

Disagree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users