8 replies to this topic

#1 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Sad news.

http://www.sportingl...tle-with-cancer

I know from personal experience that he will have received the very highest levels of care in the Prince of Wales in his final days.

Thank you Tony. You lived your life and you left us with great memories.

Condolences to his family and friends.

God bless.

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

I gave a mention to this on last night's Wigan v Hull game thread as the RFL announced it at half time.

Very sad news. Tony and Kevin Harkin used to share the scrum half role at the time when Hull had a very good team. He was a great player and the very epitome of Eddie Waring's "Cheekie chappie" cliche.

When I think of Hull sides of the late 70's/early to mid 80's, we had some belting scrum halves such as Keith Hepworth, Deany, Harkin, Peter Sterling and, no doubt, others that Ullman will offer up.

We haven't had anyone of their ilk at scrum half in years.

RIP Tony, how Hull FC could do with your abilities now.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#3 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

The thing I remember most about Tony is that he never stopped smiling. He was great to have around the club and was very popular with the fans. As OF says he was a typical 'cheeky chappy' scrum half and a very talented player too.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#4 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

It's apt that Hull's next game is against Cas considering that Tony was a Cas lad.

I'm sure both sets of fans will pay a fine tribute to Tony.

R.I.P

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#5 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

He was a great player when he was at Batley and always had time for a chat with the fans and like others have said always had a smile on his face.

R.I.P

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#6 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Coached at Wakefield Trinity in the mid 80s
RIP

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Looks like Hull will be remembering him before the Sky game v Cas this coming Thursday.

http://www.hullfc.co...cup-legend-dean

Good stuff.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#8 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

When I think of Hull sides of the late 70's/early to mid 80's, we had some belting scrum halves such as Keith Hepworth, Deany, Harkin, Peter Sterling and, no doubt, others that Ullman will offer up.

I think you've pretty much covered that era. The only other name I'd throw in as a 'belting scrum half' would be Chris Davidson whose career was coming to an end in the late 70s.

Just been watching a bit of Tony Dean up against Peter Sterling in the '82 Kangaroo tour game at the Boulevard. Tony has a blinder in that game and there's a great moment when Sterlo takes the ball round the blind side of the scrum and Tony just takes the ball off him with that trademark grin on his face as if to say 'I've done you there, mate'.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#9 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

The Cheeky Chappy tag was probably invented for Tony.

He was also a talented footballer and played in a couple of finals of the FA National veterans tournament.

He lived in Cutsyke at the time and both his lads were good enough to play pro but played for the rugby club and sunday football.

A very amusing wit.

He once spent 80 minutes, as an opposition coach, calling me all the names under the sun, cracking jokes on the touchline about me to loud cheers and slating everything I did on the field. In the bar afterwards he spent 10 minutes trying to sign me!

"How much" I eventually said.... "£15 a game" was his reply

R.I.P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users