Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

could fans run a club

membership

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Could fans run a club? help spread the game . I was interested in response Bradford got when in crisis . Lets say if something was set up to help run and fund a club like south wales scorpions for example ( Ive selected this team as there bottom of the league and based in an area where RL are desperate to get established) OK  so here goes as a member you pay a monthly fee say £20 for 12 months which equals £240 a year .Imagine if you could get 10,000 members world wide . In return as a member you would get a members pass to all home games ie season ticket . An exclusive members badge . Every home match day programme sent to you . A new shirt every season of your choice either home or away . A members monthly prize draw with cash prizes .Any other ideas ?

Could this be done ?   

Chief Crazy Eagle

#2 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

It has been done.

Hunslet Hawks are now a supporter owned club who pay yearly memberships and the club is slowly getting out of debt and improving the club (media wise and sponsorship portfolio)

try the website 

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Could fans run a club? help spread the game . I was interested in response Bradford got when in crisis . Lets say if something was set up to help run and fund a club like south wales scorpions for example ( Ive selected this team as there bottom of the league and based in an area where RL are desperate to get established) OK  so here goes as a member you pay a monthly fee say £20 for 12 months which equals £240 a year .Imagine if you could get 10,000 members world wide . In return as a member you would get a members pass to all home games ie season ticket . An exclusive members badge . Every home match day programme sent to you . A new shirt every season of your choice either home or away . A members monthly prize draw with cash prizes .Any other ideas ?

Could this be done ?   

i tried exactly that at oldham roughyeds...but it got shot down by other supports groups and overzealous fans...

even of a relatively small membership group of 500 paying £20 a month puts £120,000 a year into the club..

Edited by roughyedspud, 19 July 2014 - 10:17 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

It has been done.

Hunslet Hawks are now a supporter owned club who pay yearly memberships and the club is slowly getting out of debt and improving the club (media wise and sponsorship portfolio)

try the website 

really I didn't know this . When did it get set up as iv been to Hunslet several times in recent years and never seen anything about it .

Chief Crazy Eagle

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

The people who run clubs even the biggest clubs are fans
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#6 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hunslet independent supporters trust. HIST. Have owned and run the club for the last two years Rochdale are also run by their supporters trust

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

yeah but its £15 a year to be a member of HIST....not £15-20 a month 

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Ken Davey is a fan, Ian Leneghan is a fan, Marwan Koukash is a fan etc

which clubs aren't run by fans?

Keeping it local

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

I like the membership idea.

Some take it to far though, My Football Club at Ebbsfleet by all accounts was a bit of a disaster although I think they learned and moved on to Slough having modified the scheme.

I'd put up some money for sure in monthly membership if a club put together an imaginative enough package and the payment method was easy, in my case I'd probably be more attracted to a club outside of the heartlands, but do have soft spots for a number of Championship clubs.

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

fans as a "collective group"

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hunslet independent supporters trust. HIST. Have owned and run the club for the last two years Rochdale are also run by their supporters trust

The fans aren't running Hunslet Gary Hetherington is

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I suspect HIST would disagree.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

[quote name="roughyedspud" post="2961768" timestamp="1405788645"]

fans as a "collective group"[/quote
Same thing are the people on the boards of these clubs not fans?
Keeping it local

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

They are
And anyway hetherington is a fan
Keeping it local

#15 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hull FC. Pearson knew sod all about rugby when he bought the club.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#16 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

As his choice of coach perhaps shows. (with apologies to OF for nicking his copyright material  ;) )

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

He knew enough not to buy Hull KR.

#18 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

He knew enough not to buy Hull KR.

Ha, ha! Well done John. But both you and I knew enough not to do that, so it's not saying much, really.  :D

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Ha, ha! Well done John. But both you and I knew enough not to do that, so it's not saying much, really.  :D

They offered me HKR, but then this old geezer with a beard and a pointly hat gave me a good price on these magic beans.... ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

They offered me HKR, but then this old geezer with a beard and a pointly hat gave me a good price on these magic beans.... ;)

This is exactly what happened to Pearson. He ate the beans that the wizened man gave him, then bought Hull FC. Three days later he woke up in hospital with a monster headache and a huge black hole in his bank balance.

The moral of the story: don't eat the magic beans.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde