Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

could fans run a club

membership

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

His job title is director of rugby but what exactly does he do

That's right...you've been doing a bit of research haven't you? Well played and good on you for making a bit of an effort. Football manager is a more colloquial way of putting it.
Tell you what, you go away and have a think and do a bit of research and see what you can come up with, you've shown that you can do it, and I'll tell you if you are right.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#62 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

who's being condescending now eh lol

how about we steer this back towards talking about whether fans can run RL clubs......we all know mr drake is abit trigger happy on the "lock" but theses days ;)......joke 

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#63 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

who's being condescending now eh lol

how about we steer this back towards talking about whether fans can run RL clubs......we all know mr drake is abit trigger happy on the "lock" but theses days ;)......joke

It was a bit of laying it on with a trowel joshing
I'm sure mr lion got it or will get it.
The conversation between us is very much about fans running clubs: check out the constitution of the hawks, already mentioned on here, and darren Williams has been a fan of the club for probably all his life. He is a dedicated very able sports administrator working for the club he supports
Keeping it local

#64 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

aye ive read it when researching my proposal for ORLFC

personally i think its the future for most clubs outside of super league....most of us are all waiting for a "sugar daddy" to come along and bail our clubs out....yet with a decently priced membership scheme most clubs won't need a sugar daddy imo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#65 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Daz williams has supported the club all his life but i still dont know what he does besides for picking up his pay packet at least big Al ran the bar and did other chores

#66 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Daz williams has supported the club all his life but i still dont know what he does besides for picking up his pay packet at least big Al ran the bar and did other chores

Darren does lots if other stuff as well. He's had a lot to do with the setting up of the 'I Am Hunslet' initiative. He's certainly the go to person if I have any issues regarding it.
Director of Rugby I guess has responsibilities and joint involvements regarding players
Scouting
Contracts
Player recruitment
Player welfare
Control of player budget
Player discipline
And probably other stuff
If you are genuinely interested I'll ask him for you if you like, but you seem acquainted with him anyway.
If you are a hawks fan we could have a beer if you like

I think big al is now involved with Wortley Dragons.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 22 July 2014 - 03:57 PM.

Keeping it local

#67 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

I thought you was a Fev supporter

#68 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I thought you was a Fev supporter

I'm a graham king season ticket holder at hunslet, I also worked for the hawks as programme editor for several years
Keeping it local

#69 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

Are there any Championship/NCL clubs offering membership schemes that would be of interest to non-fans and that are easy to sign up to?  (ie you can do it all online!).

#70 knottla

knottla
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Lionheart don't go there with l'angelo about Fev.

#71 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

care to expand on that?

how much do members pay,what members get etc??

If you go to hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk and click on membership, the details are in there. We have Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum packages with ascending monthly contributions.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#72 Marto

Marto
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

I like the membership idea.

Some take it to far though, My Football Club at Ebbsfleet by all accounts was a bit of a disaster although I think they learned and moved on to Slough having modified the scheme.

I'd put up some money for sure in monthly membership if a club put together an imaginative enough package and the payment method was easy, in my case I'd probably be more attracted to a club outside of the heartlands, but do have soft spots for a number of Championship clubs.

Ebbsfleet put the Supporters Trust Movement and Fans ownership of clubs back a long way with their bizarre ideas.

There are three pro RL clubs set up as Fans owned Clubs, Hemel, Rochdale and Hunslet. 

The principle is the same as a cooperative, where it's one member one vote, regardless of contirbution.

If you want to know more about the Supporters direct model and how it can work in RL, come along to our Fans day in Huddersfield on the 25th October, more details http://www.therfl.co...-voice-heard-at or check out SD's website www.supporters-direct.org

Posted Image

2006 National League Three Champions, 2009 Co-Operative Rugby League Conference National Champions

Bramley Buffaloes|Buffaloes Video Channel|Buffaloes Merchandise|Buffaloes Blog|Buffs on Facebook|Buffs on Twitter

#73 MattSantos

MattSantos
  • Coach
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

I would love to see more (all?) clubs run democratically by the supporters - A not for profit industrial provident society. 

Each member should pay a standard x and have 1 vote regardless of whether x = 1mio GBP.

Members should vote on a board and then the board run the club on behalf of the members and the clubs constitution.

To answer the original post, can this work? Why not?

#74 tompb19

tompb19
  • Twitter
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

I would love to see this at all levels of the game.  I think for the larger Super League clubs - if they could get 20,000 plus members (for the RL, but also non-RL activities - e.g.  Leagues Club or activities for children / young people) they could be great organisations, making a profit that is reinvested back into the sport and into the community.

Whilst Hemel, Rochdale and Hunslet are wholly owned by supporters - are there any clubs which have representation from Supporters Trusts on the board?

#75 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hold on.....so if 10k supporters then there would need to be a 'lead' fan / group of lead fans....each paying by DD and get a shirt and ST....for 240 quid

as appose to a wealthy fan/fans who buys a club and sells 10k ST and a shirt for 240 quid with the choice of DD payments.....

whats the difference then?

Each option could lead to bad decisions....the first one more so as if 10k people had to be balloted for every decision it would take time and bad choices would be made as fans chased success over good buisness practice.....there would also be infighting with individuals trying to sway any vote in their favour!

The wealthy owner/owners is better model....after all they are wealthy for a reason....

#76 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

You don't have a vote for every decision you elect a board and let them get on with it. Have some of the posts up for election the following year. The rest the next year that way after the first year every one will serve two years on the board

#77 MattSantos

MattSantos
  • Coach
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hold on.....so if 10k supporters then there would need to be a 'lead' fan / group of lead fans....each paying by DD and get a shirt and ST....for 240 quid

as appose to a wealthy fan/fans who buys a club and sells 10k ST and a shirt for 240 quid with the choice of DD payments.....

whats the difference then?

Each option could lead to bad decisions....the first one more so as if 10k people had to be balloted for every decision it would take time and bad choices would be made as fans chased success over good buisness practice.....there would also be infighting with individuals trying to sway any vote in their favour!

The wealthy owner/owners is better model....after all they are wealthy for a reason....

And what happens when the wealthy 1 decides he needs the money elsewhere and buggerz off?

Also, if you would read previous posts and around collective ownership in general, you'd have read that the collective appoint a board (1 memeber - 1 vote) and then the board run the club with a constitution in mind.

Not much different, but potentially a million* times more sustainable.

Edit.

A key for me is that all clubs should be not for profit; significant parts of their communities. Get this element right and we'd never have another boring attendance thread!!

Edited by MattSantos, 24 September 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#78 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

And what happens when the wealthy 1 decides he needs the money elsewhere and buggerz off?

Also, if you would read previous posts and around collective ownership in general, you'd have read that the collective appoint a board (1 memeber - 1 vote) and then the board run the club with a constitution in mind.

Not much different, but potentially a million* times more sustainable.

Edit.

A key for me is that all clubs should be not for profit; significant parts of their communities. Get this element right and we'd never have another boring attendance thread!!

isnt this what barcelona do?

Didn't widnes try this what was it callled stronghold or something?

Possible case studies available.... would the board be paid? How is there accountability....

If the club got sued or ran up huge debts...would all members be liable, the board, or the previous board?

#79 Neophyte Hornet

Neophyte Hornet
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

Rochdale Hornets ... Did this .

I,m new season tickets holder (standard membership included), 

voted yesterday on the away colour of our shirts (green) lets see if we win ...

Get regular newsletter and get to vote for board members and key decisions about the club.

Edited by Neophyte Hornet, 24 September 2014 - 09:11 PM.

http://www.twitter.com/vinnieclough

!!!!! ROCHDALE HORNETS !!!!!!

RR

#80 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

Of course they could, I would love to run Hull FC. (Although to be fair I probably couldn't have made as big a mess of it as those that have been running it!)