Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash: I'll turn rugby league into a global sport

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

Marwan Koukash is prepared to shift to Australia to realise his dream of owning an NRL club, claiming he can help transform rugby league into a truly international game.

Koukash owns the Salford Red Devils, saving them from financial ruin, and is keen to add an Australian club to his portfolio. The British billionaire has been linked to Newcastle but refused to confirm which NRL clubs he is negotiating with.

The man whose net worth is estimated at $3 billion revealed he is in negotiations to stage a nines tournament, featuring NRL and Super League clubs, in Dubai. However, his priority is to take a stake of an Australian franchise, preferably as a sole owner.

"There are plenty of advantages in being involved on both sides of the world. It would help to globalise the sport," Koukash said from Dubai.

"My family absolutely adore being in Australia. We did start talking about the possibility of moving over to Australia," he said.

"Some people say I'm more Australian than Australians. I love it, that way of life suits me very well.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz37yyZcdXD

He certainly grabs the medias attention.

Edited by boxhead, 20 July 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#2 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

He will be in the media more than he is used to if he buys into the NRL. National newspapers, tv programs, a far more critical media etc etc

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,068 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

Turn it into a global sport? Not if some on here have anything to do with it!

#4 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

What's he talking about?
The games already "Global" almost every bit of the globe between Hull and St Helens is covered.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#5 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

Good luck to him, I hope he can buy an NRL club.

I"m not sure he would be a good fit at Newcastle though. Looking in from afar, Newcastle have always struck me as a real community club where the voice of the fans counts for a lot. I'm not sure Marwans style would sit well with them.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

Good on yer marwan, somebody needs to take the greatest game global as the people who "run" our game have failed so far! So why not give you a shot.

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

He will be in the media more than he is used to if he buys into the NRL. National newspapers, tv programs, a far more critical media etc etc

Somehow I don't think that would deter or bother him so much.

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

Good luck to him, I hope he can buy an NRL club.
I"m not sure he would be a good fit at Newcastle though. Looking in from afar, Newcastle have always struck me as a real community club where the voice of the fans counts for a lot. I'm not sure Marwans style would sit well with them.

Especially after the tinkler debacle. He should maybe look at the proposed franchise bids like central Queensland, Brisbane 2, Perth, Central Coast etc. or maybe even the struggling cronulla sharks.

#9 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure how owning a club on both sides of the pond would help globalise the sport. But he is a billionaire and I am not, so maybe he has seen an angle I haven't! I suppose he will be able to encourage more internationals, but as we have seen here, he is just one voice among all the other owners. Even if he is the richest, loudest voice. However, being the richest and especially the loudest voice seems to have turned people against him (well, at least one person) over here. Why would it be any different in oz? And then he is fighting on two fronts.

As for the Dubai tournment, it'll be interesting to see a competition on neutral ground, but will it grow the game? I suppose it puts the game in the shop window for a lot of very rich (potential) investors.

One question, which is off topic but might fit here a bit... I know that there was some upset about his missus trying to buy Bradford, but how do you think people/the RFL would feel if Mrs K tried to buy Toulouse?

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

As for the Dubai tournment, it'll be interesting to see a competition on neutral ground, but will it grow the game? I suppose it puts the game in the shop window for a lot of very rich (potential) investors.

The World Club Challenge should be in Dubai for exactly that reason and it should also be the location we should look at to house a proper RLIF organisation.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#11 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

This guy comes across as a know all who knows nothing. Global Sport? When is he going to set up Pro Leagues in USA/Canada, Europe, Africa, Asia? And throwing money and shouting your mouth off does not get you anywhere. Sorry but I cant take this man seriously with his loud mouth and no real grasp on reality

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

The World Club Challenge should be in Dubai for exactly that reason and it should also be the location we should look at to house a proper RLIF organisation.

And we could bring back winter RL!!

Win, win.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

This guy comes across as a know all who knows nothing. Global Sport? When is he going to set up Pro Leagues in USA/Canada, Europe, Africa, Asia? And throwing money and shouting your mouth off does not get you anywhere. Sorry but I cant take this man seriously with his loud mouth and no real grasp on reality

Some people have got a long way doing just that LL.

Have you tried it? Maybe you should.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Maybe he should attempt to buy England's national team. Maybe he will promote it, offer central contracts and organise some meaningful fixtures then!
Posted Image

#15 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Cronulla Sharks have been a basket case for 20 years.

Step in "Aussie Marwan"

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Turn it into a global sport? Not if some on here have anything to do with it!

Or alternatively the use of the phrase "global game" validates Saint Mo of Lindsay.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Good man. About time we had someone not afraid of talking things up.

The problem is that most people in RL are used to a sort of 'shuffle. ...do you mind if we sit here..shuffle' whereas he is barging through and saying 'move yer ass, that's my chair'.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#18 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Good man. About time we had someone not afraid of talking things up.

The problem is that most people in RL are used to a sort of 'shuffle. ...do you mind if we sit here..shuffle' whereas he is barging through and saying 'move yer ass, that's my chair'.

Completely agree. What's he doing wrong? Talking the game up, getting column inches,investing money, bringing new ideas. I wish there were more like him

#19 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

I think part of the problem here is he has his foot in one camp in a part of the world where RL is pretty much established. He is looking to put another foot in another part of the world where RL is very much established. A couple of games in the middle where no one plays or is likely to play on a big scale doesn't then make the game global. Why isn't he going hell for leather in places where the game isn't already established?

#20 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Maybe he should attempt to buy England's national team. Maybe he will promote it, offer central contracts and organise some meaningful fixtures then!

And get rid of mcbanana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users