Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash: I'll turn rugby league into a global sport

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

I think part of the problem here is he has his foot in one camp in a part of the world where RL is pretty much established. He is looking to put another foot in another part of the world where RL is very much established. A couple of games in the middle where no one plays or is likely to play on a big scale doesn't then make the game global. Why isn't he going hell for leather in places where the game isn't already established?

Dubai is awash with cash and maybe some rich Arab sheiks could also take a shine to rugby league as there's a limited amount of premier league clubs up for sale.

#22 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Dubai is awash with cash and maybe some rich Arab sheiks could also take a shine to rugby league as there's a limited amount of premier league clubs up for sale.

That I acknowledged above - I can see the rationale for going and playing games in Dubai, but does a couple of games there and a few mega-bucks owners make RL a 'global game'?

#23 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

That I acknowledged above - I can see the rationale for going and playing games in Dubai, but does a couple of games there and a few mega-bucks owners make RL a 'global game'?

Not if it's only English and Aussie sides playing matches out there but if big money can be generated by taking games and tournaments there then somehow that money is then invested in developing RL in places like the US, Canada, south Africa, Nordic countries etc it can only help.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Well it's a bloody start.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

If he buys an Aussie club, I hope it's Sydney based and he relocates it! That would be interesting!
Posted Image

#26 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

Rather have him than Rimmer or Wood any day

#27 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Some people have got a long way doing just that LL.

Have you tried it? Maybe you should.

Done the shouting but but the money bit is the problem as I dont have any! :-) Seriously developing a Sport or a Club is way more than throwing money around and making intentions. You need to do grassroots development and build a structure to work off thats best for the people in that area. You cant just set up a Pro Sport that nobody knows about. You need to have people working at the local level developing the sport as well as the club and having a structure in place so that young people especially get to hear and want to be part of it. If he wants to take the Sport to the UAE for example, then he should get in contact with the people developing Rugby League there. He should work with them and how both can support each other. Somehow I just cant see that happening.

#28 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

The NFL are attempting to make their game global too by playing exhibition games for awhile then setup franchises in Europe.Although at present they only play 8 home games and they have a big player pool and of course they have money

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#29 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

The NFL are attempting to make their game global too by playing exhibition games for awhile then setup franchises in Europe.Although at present they only play 8 home games and they have a big player pool and of course they have money

But they are playing the exhibition games where they are planning to expand too. And also where there is already a thirst for the game. As you say, they only have 8 home games. They sold out two in london last year.

#30 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Playing 9s and WCC in Dubai and possibly even US and SA would be a good idea especially if domestic games could be played as curtain raisers and possibly a domestic 9s comp alongside SL and NRL comp

#31 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I like Marwan, he is a breath of fresh air and I hope the small minded thinking that prevails in RL doesn't sicken him off!

I wish we had more like him, owners who are backing their own clubs AND THE WHOLE SPORT rather than the selfish self preservatory mindset that Chairman have historically had.

#32 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Not if it's only English and Aussie sides playing matches out there but if big money can be generated by taking games and tournaments there then somehow that money is then invested in developing RL in places like the US, Canada, south Africa, Nordic countries etc it can only help.

In which case I would like to fully support the good doctor in his work and say what a fine and handsome chap he is. 

I will be sending the Danish rugby league account details along shortly.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#33 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I love Dr Mar. It's about time someone talked our sport up instead of moaning - and he seems to be very able at doing that. Hope he has a brother

#34 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

The only problem he faces is the insular nature of the NRL,the "SOO is the be all and end all".If he can change that attitude,he may well have a chance.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Rather have him than Rimmer or Wood any day

what is that actually based on?

#36 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

The only problem he faces is the insular nature of the NRL,the "SOO is the be all and end all".If he can change that attitude,he may well have a chance.

That's will take much more than money!!

Good luck to the bloke, he obviously doesn't let negativity get in his way. Any one who has ever set up a business will have experienced the 'it will never work' or 'no one wants what you are selling' or 'just get a job, it's more secure' attitudes of people who aren't prepared to at least try.

#37 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

what is that actually based on?

The businesses Marwan Koukash has run has made him many many millions and allowed him to build one of the biggest horse racing empires in the country and allowed him to own an SL club and possibly an NRL club simply as passion projects.

The businesses Nigel Wood has run has ruined one RL club directly and it still hasnt recovered from his leadership, the other is an organisations which after years of growth under the previous regime is currently undergoing a huge contraction in pretty much all aspects. Ralph Rimmers experience consists of being Nigel Woods lackey. 

You have a big share holding in a business, you need to employ one of these three men to run it for you. Who are you going to choose?

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

The businesses Marwan Koukash has run has made him many many millions and allowed him to build one of the biggest horse racing empires in the country and allowed him to own an SL club and possibly an NRL club simply as passion projects.

The businesses Nigel Wood has run has ruined one RL club directly and it still hasnt recovered from his leadership, the other is an organisations which after years of growth under the previous regime is currently undergoing a huge contraction in pretty much all aspects. Ralph Rimmers experience consists of being Nigel Woods lackey.

You have a big share holding in a business, you need to employ one of these three men to run it for you. Who are you going to choose?

i dont trust your summary, which is sort of my point. People dont want facts, they want boogeymen.

#39 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

I like marwan. Look at what he's done for Salford already......challenging for honours and with bigger crowds than 2012.....oh, hang on!
He needs to understand that unlike the north of England, where he can mouth off and make claims left right and centre but not follow through, the press in stralia will hold him to every claim he makes....

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

We don't want this in this great grittily northern game of ours
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users