Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash: I'll turn rugby league into a global sport

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#41 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Good on him, but I don't think buying an NRL club will make the game 'global'. I'd like to see him organise a pre-season friendly in Asia or Dubai, that would help promote the sport to a wider audience. Though, I would still rather he bought the RLIF and helped spread money over the globe. 

#42 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

We don't want this in this great grittily northern game of ours

Going to an away game and being home in time for your tea.....that's what PROPER Rugby League is all about!

#43 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

Marwan Koukash is prepared to shift to Australia to realise his dream of owning an NRL club, claiming he can help transform rugby league into a truly international game.

Koukash owns the Salford Red Devils, saving them from financial ruin, and is keen to add an Australian club to his portfolio. The British billionaire has been linked to Newcastle but refused to confirm which NRL clubs he is negotiating with.

The man whose net worth is estimated at $3 billion revealed he is in negotiations to stage a nines tournament, featuring NRL and Super League clubs, in Dubai. However, his priority is to take a stake of an Australian franchise, preferably as a sole owner.

"There are plenty of advantages in being involved on both sides of the world. It would help to globalise the sport," Koukash said from Dubai.

"My family absolutely adore being in Australia. We did start talking about the possibility of moving over to Australia," he said.

"Some people say I'm more Australian than Australians. I love it, that way of life suits me very well.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz37yyZcdXD

He certainly grabs the medias attention.

Hope he locks the door behind him. Frankly I am sick of him gobbing off, Australia is welcome to him as long as he stays there.

#44 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

I like marwan. Look at what he's done for Salford already......challenging for honours and with bigger crowds than 2012.....oh, hang on!
He needs to understand that unlike the north of England, where he can mouth off and make claims left right and centre but not follow through, the press in stralia will hold him to every claim he makes....

What he has done at Salford - well for an outsider like me he has brought financial clout to the club, gave the coub stability from the basket case it was, rescued the club from a perilous position, sold his vision to players that would never have touched Salford with a barge pole 18 months ago and generated lots of column inches for RL.

But as Salford are not 10 points ahead of the pack then I reluctantly have to agree with you ......

#45 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

i dont trust your summary, which is sort of my point. People dont want facts, they want boogeymen.

that the game is contracting under wood is a fact, that the he took Halifax to the brink of destruction is fact. That he hasn't run any other businesses (bar the raging success that is the rlif. Right now) is also fact

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Going to an away game and being home in time for your tea.....that's what PROPER Rugby League is all about!

call yourself a fan? Yer dunt naw what yer on abaht

walking barefoot to Whitehaven barefoot in a blizzard that's being a real fan

you glory hunting bandwagon jumper

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

This is a bit off topic but I was reading Owen Farrels twitter page yesterday, in one tweet he thanked Nike for a load of free golf equipment. In his profile he mentions Nike and Redbull, for just doing this he probably gets loads of free stuff.

What is the RL equivalent, a player thanking their local tatooist for their most recent eye sore??

Edited by markleeds, 21 July 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#48 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

If Koukash wants the make the game global, he needs to set up a proper WCC tournament. The closer we bring the two biggest competitions together, the more attention they will get.

If he does that in Dubai, even greater chance of investors.

I'd go as far as having a secondary tournament for emerging nations.
Posted Image

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

If you look at the way both Football and RU have grown in recent years, it is through International events and international club competitions. 

We do both of these things very halfheartedly.

#50 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

If you look at the way both Football and RU have grown in recent years, it is through International events and international club competitions. 

I disagree.

We do them VERY VERY VERY  half-heartedly...(except for the last World Cup...which now seems to have vanished into obscurity)

Edited by JohnM, 21 July 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#51 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

The man hasnt even got Salford into the top eight of a fourteen team competition and you lot think the sun shines out of his head

#52 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

The man hasnt even got Salford into the top eight of a fourteen team competition and you lot think the sun shines out of his head

The way they are currently performing they might just sneak into the playoffs and then anything can happen.

#53 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Give him a chance. Even chelsea didn't win owt in the first season of abramovich ownership

#54 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

He's turned around a club who would have been a strong relegation contender this season, and the team should be better next year. That's a damn good start. Instant changearounds don't happen with sports teams - even the billions behind Chelsea and Manchester City (with no salary cap) took time to take effect.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#55 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

The mans a complete failure, His trouble is he doesn't know his place, What's he doing messing about with Horses anyway, he should be racing Whippets and Pigeons.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#56 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

The mans a complete failure, His trouble is he doesn't know his place, What's he doing messing about with Horses anyway, he should be racing Whippets and Pigeons.

Can't trust a man who never worked down t'pit.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#57 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Marwan is clearly an intelligent guy, he's built up a multi million pound empire for goodness sake.

The task is large but at least he is trying, the amount of people who seem to shoot him down because he is trying to expand the sport and gain media attention is baffling.

#58 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Marwan is clearly an intelligent guy, he's built up a multi million pound empire for goodness sake.

The task is large but at least he is trying, the amount of people who seem to shoot him down because he is trying to expand the sport and gain media attention is baffling.

Well, not all media attention is good... 

#59 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

That's because some people are afraid of change, particularly if they think it might impact on their cosy little league.

Futtocks is right ,How can you trust a bloke who has made Billions, and not a penny of it from being down't Pit, What does Rugby league want with Blokes who have Billions, Sooner he leaves us to get back to winter and one big League, the better.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#60 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:40 AM

Think I'm in the (significant) minority , but i simply don't buy that he's "great for the sport". Yes, he has money. Yes, he has saved Salford. Yes, he has a "huge" media presence and(allegedly) a grand vision to make the game global. But the constant sniping against the RFL and "toys out of the pram" attitude if he doesn't get his way don't strike me as responisible, or well judged. He strikes me as little more than an egotistical loudmouth, who will move out of the game just as soon as he came crashing into it...just as soon as he gets bored or finds something else to interest him for a moment.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users