Retirement

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

I officially retired from playing the great game of Rugby League at the grand old age of 33 this weekend. Unfortunately got cleaned out playing in the East 9s earlier this season and been suffering from neck and back injuries since; not worth risking my health and career continuing to play the game.

That said since having played the game since the age of 7, I've had some wonderful experiences and met some great folk at clubs across the country. I've played for Pilkington Recs, Newcastle University, Northeast Students, Northallerton Stallions, and Kings Lynn Black Knights plus individual matches for Gosport Vikings, Leeds Akkies, Hemel Stags and RMA Sandhurst. Great memories!

Eventually I'll get into coaching when settled somewhere in the UK but wondered when everyone else retired, at what age and who you used to play for?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,600 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

You could try your hand at masters rugby.(In a couple of years).Serious knee injury curtailed my career in my mind 20's,only played for 2 clubs,East Leeds and Leeds Colts.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 20 July 2014 - 04:21 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

I officially retired from playing the great game of Rugby League at the grand old age of 33 this weekend. Unfortunately got cleaned out playing in the East 9s earlier this season and been suffering from neck and back injuries since; not worth risking my health and career continuing to play the game.

That said since having played the game since the age of 7, I've had some wonderful experiences and met some great folk at clubs across the country. I've played for Pilkington Recs, Newcastle University, Northeast Students, Northallerton Stallions, and Kings Lynn Black Knights plus individual matches for Gosport Vikings, Leeds Akkies, Hemel Stags and RMA Sandhurst. Great memories!

Eventually I'll get into coaching when settled somewhere in the UK but wondered when everyone else retired, at what age and who you used to play for?

well played my friend

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

I played my last (up to now) game at 42, 12 years ago. Although I am considering having a go at masters RL. A mate of mine who is the same age played in the tournament that followed the GB Aus game at Crossfields last week and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I originally stopped due to age catching up with me plus change of career meant I couldn't risk injury. Like GS I also had a couple of seasons at Pilks, though a good few years before him, obviously.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 Viking Ste

Viking Ste
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

I retired at the grand old age of 19, was released from Bradford, Widnes offered me derissary P/T terms,had no interest in playing Open Age!

Best decision I ever made, much better from the stands!!

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

I retired at the grand old age of 19, was released from Bradford, Widnes offered me derissary P/T terms,had no interest in playing Open Age!

I can't agree with that; for me it's always been about playing the game (not that I ever played to any great standard :rolleyes:). A thousand times more enjoyable than watching. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 Roy Haggerty

Roy Haggerty
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

First retired aged 32 when I thought my hip couldn't take any more knocks, and took up reffing. Was tempted back by a couple of masters games and then played some second team stuff when I was 42. Was ok in matches against poor pub teams, but then we played a decent side of young blokes, and I decided that was about enough, as I was so off the pace that it damaged the team. Back to the whistle only for me.

Looking back, I wish I'd pressed on for at least another 2-3 years in my early thirties. As the saying goes, you're a long time retired, and that brief early 40s sojourn reminded me just how much I loved playing the game.

#8 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Interesting and close to the path I followed. Played a lot of rep rugby in juniors and had a number of academy games mixed with some open age stuff at 18/19. However, I badly broke my arm at 15 and it never felt the same afterwards. Also, was frustrated that I was not quite good enough to play professionally so gave it away before my 20th birthday and never played again.

Didn't really have any desire to play open age. Went into journalism and enjoying from the stands.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm semi-retired!

I've not played in a year and a half since I went over on my ankle. I keep thinking it will get better, and I'll have a dabble again, but I probably won't now. (Have very little time with my job anyways).

Thinking of trying wheelchair RL. Take the ankle out of the equation!
Posted Image

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Played for Bradford University, then Thornton till i was 26.

Went back to RU because i was fed up of only getting 20mins as a sub every week. Played RU till I was 43.

When I was about 40, I played one end-of-season game of league for Wibsey St George when they were struggling with injuries. It was at Greetland and I really enjoyed it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

After a good few years in the juniors at East Leeds, and a few training sessions at Edinburgh aside, I'm retired as well. Scuppered by a lack of teams in Edinburgh when I first lived here, and now, a lack of masters teams, which I'd love to play. I don't have the appetite for the black and blue Monday morning shoulders these days.

#12 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

I played a lot of juniors games before joining the army and then having to play union because at that time rugby league was not an "official" sport (no more commentary needed...)  I played occasional games of RL when back home but it was a rarity due to timing.  A trashed pair of knees stopped me playing union in the army at a decent level in 1995 at the ancient age of 24.  From that point I played a few invitational games of union but just could not take hits on my knees any longer.

I think that it makes you a different spectator if you've played, even at a low level.  There's nothing wrong with having not played if you're a spectator but it does give you a different view of many aspects of the game.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I think that it makes you a different spectator if you've played, even at a low level.  There's nothing wrong with having not played if you're a spectator but it does give you a different view of many aspects of the game.

I think it certainly does. Even though I gave it away at 19 I was lucky enough to play at a high level throughout my junior days and at academy level. My frustration was being a good player but 10-20% short of being good enough to reach the level I aspired to. Also, injuries I sustained as a junior still sit with me (still have a very stiff and probably arthritic wrist from a couple of bad breaks).

How those guys put their bodies through it at the top level week after week for the best part of 10-15 years at the top amazes me. What state will some of these players be when they hit their 50s? Respect to every player who makes a career out of the toughest game of all.

Edited by Scubby, 21 July 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Are the rules different for Masters RL? I really don't know anything about Masters, but I'd assume it was modified for lower levels of impact.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

If i played Masters RL, I could be sued under the Trades Description Act.

:biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Are the rules different for Masters RL? I really don't know anything about Masters, but I'd assume it was modified for lower levels of impact.

Lots of differences - 5m offside line, no more than 2 in the tackle, much less tolerance of high/risky tackles (e.g. "held" will be called much earlier), no handing off, red shorts for players who only have to stop/be stopped rather than fully tackled and gold shorts for players who are playing touch rules. Kicking limited to 5th tackle and it must be retrieved by the defending team.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#17 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Lots of differences - 5m offside line, no more than 2 in the tackle, much less tolerance of high/risky tackles (e.g. "held" will be called much earlier), no handing off, red shorts for players who only have to stop/be stopped rather than fully tackled and gold shorts for players who are playing touch rules. Kicking limited to 5th tackle and it must be retrieved by the defending team.

What he said.

My mate who played for the first time the other week came a bit unstuck on the 'no handing off' rule in his first touch of the ball. Said it was the most tricky of the mods to remember. I was impressed by what I saw; was real "social rugby" at it's best. Serious enough to know you had had a game, but played in the right spirit so you would be confident of making work on a Monday morning. 

#18 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Retired at 26 after they banned the shoulder charge the game seemed pointless without that had a brief spell with york but played the rest of my career as a york acorn player n couldnt imagine ever putting another amateur shirt other than an acorn one on, dont really understand how players can play for different teams each year surely you cant have that passion for a club then go play for there rival the next season.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#19 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

I gave up the ghost around 32/33, was never any good but loved it and still miss it several years on, wish I'd ploughed on, as said, your a long time retired.

Bumbled around some pretty low level sides, but was spoiled down south playing for South London and St Albans in the summer, moved back up north and turned out once for Adlington Rangers in the depths of winter, injuries were taking there toll, shoulders are still knackered no doubt from a terrible tackling technique and realised my heart wasn't in it so called it a day. 

Being self employed for all of my 30's also put me off, if anyone's going to get injured and struggle to get to work its the fat duffer who can't tackle properly!

#20 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

You could try your hand at masters rugby.(In a couple of years).

I haven't really seen much about Masters rugby and not sure where it is played across the country; definitely something I'd look into though as is touch rugby.

Looking back, I wish I'd pressed on for at least another 2-3 years in my early thirties. As the saying goes, you're a long time retired.

I feel like that right now but need to put my job first sadly!

Dont really understand how players can play for different teams each year surely you cant have that passion for a club then go play for there rival the next season.

It has been out of necessity for myself; moving around with work around the country makes it impossible to play for more than two years at any given club. That said, I have never played for any other club than Pilks Recs in St Helens when I lived in the area!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users