First game you attended?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Cockney4league

Cockney4league
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

I took my Granddad to his first ever live match yesterday at the grand old age of 90. He has watched it on tv for years and I finally managed to take him to the hive. He absolutely loved it and thought the atmosphere was great even for such a small crowd, shame the game wasn't as close as would have liked.

How old where people when they attended the first game? Has my granddad set a record as an oldest fan going to first game?

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

9 years old, 2003, York v Hull KR. First ever match as York Knights.

It's time to park the camels.

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

I took my Granddad to his first ever live match yesterday at the grand old age of 90. He has watched it on tv for years and I finally managed to take him to the hive. He absolutely loved it and thought the atmosphere was great even for such a small crowd, shame the game wasn't as close as would have liked.

How old where people when they attended the first game? Has my granddad set a record as an oldest fan going to first game?

He might well have done!

I can't remember what age I was when I went to my first rugby league match, only that I was very young and it was Saints against Leigh at Leigh.  But I didn't go to another rugby league until I watched Saints lose to Halifax in a Challenge Cup final.  Then I didn't go to another rugby league match until 2007, when I started going regularly. 

Edited by Saintslass, 20 July 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

My first match was whitehaven v Doncaster in 1991 or 92 can't really remember much about the game except Clayton friend was on another level for haven and audley pennant had a good game for the dons.

#5 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

I cannot remember but I know it was to see Hunslet at Parkisde in 1963  ( I was 4yrs old). My first match in living memory was also at Parkside v Blackpool Borough.

Edited by stewpot01, 20 July 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#6 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

2002 challenge cup game v castleford at griffin park. I've been annoying various owners since then.........even from the other side of the world! Last game I attended was this weekends wellington RFL ladies final in gale like conditions with a freezing southerly wind.
When this game gets you......it gets you for life!

#7 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

First for me was Wigan v Leeds when a young and unknown (to me) Andy Farrell scored either two or three tries I think. No idea when this was, maybe someone with a better memory can stick a date on that.

Mainly memorable for some very drunk Leeds fans in front of us drenching themselves with beer every time there was a hint of a break for Leeds.

#8 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

As a 10 year old my grandad took me to see Leeds v Australia at Headingley in 1994. I remember people queuing onto St Michaels Lane to get in. I think there were 20,000 there that day. We sat in the North Stand and the Wigan team were directly in front of is "scouting" out the Aussies for the week after. It was a massacre but that game got me hooked and I rarely missed a game between then and around 2006 where I was finally a grown up and had to put work first :lol:

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#9 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Wigan vs Brisbane in the expanded world club challenge at Central Park

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

My first live match was Fulham v Bradford Northern on the eve of the Challenge Cup Final in 1981. The game was a one-off challenge match between the Londoners who had just won promotion, and my hometown team Bradford who had just won the old First Division Championship for the second year in a row. I was 15.

Bradford got hammered, but I loved the occasion and I've supported both clubs ever since, which makes today of all days a bit of a downer for me, really.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#11 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

My cousin took me to Warrington v Huddersfield in 1971: I was 7 years old and Huddersfield won 24 - 12.

I took my children to their first game in September 2000 at the Valley for Broncos against Warrington.  My daughter in paticular, who was 4 at the time, absolutely loved it, but that was the high point for them.  I took them to the Broncos a few more times at Griffin Park and the Stoop, and to a couple of internationals at Loftus Road, but they never got into it  :(

#12 WSCR

WSCR
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

My parents took me to the willows in 1946,I was five years old,cannot remember who Salford played but I remember my dad pointing out Barney Hudson who was injured.
I have been hooked on the Reds ever since.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,080 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

Some A team game in the mid Fifties
I hated it. The idea was that my dad took me to the footy, but it was all about him going for a few beers in the Nissen hut where the bar was.
The whole experience was ghastly and it seemed to consist of half drunk blokes shouting things like"get packed dahn does tha think tha's got a woman next to thi?"
The players drank from a bucket that was also used for the magic sponge and had a tab end floating in it
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Barrow v Hull FC at Headingley in the semi final of the John Player Trophy in January 1981, I think.

I only went because we were going 'on the lash' in Manchester later.

Barrow won and, as they say, the rest is history.

Still there, through thick and thin.  Mostly thin, I'm afraid.   :biggrin:

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#15 Tallow

Tallow
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

My first game was Workington Town vs Leeds in 1978.

I think the match finished in a 9-9 draw, and there was a horrific injury to one of the Town players( think he was called Mick? Burke).

The poor guy's career was finished and he ended up paralysed.

#16 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

The Bradford v Wigan game in the fog, not long after I'd started at Bradford Uni.

Then it was the Regal Trophy final at Headlingley when Cas hammered Wigan.

The perfect couple of ridiculous matches that seem to encapsulate the brilliance and maddening frustration of our game.

The replay of the fogged off game had a huge crowd - everybody took a handful of readmission vouchers and passed them on.

People called Romans they go the house

#17 GaryHall

GaryHall
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

York v Bramley 1st September 1962 Eastern region competition York won 40-5 Geoff Smith scored a hat trick and I was hooked for life.

#18 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

I really cannot remember the first game I attended but I am still trying.

I can remember though that the first game that really GRIPPED me and that was Australia v NZ 22nd October 1995.

Once you get the bug it is hard to shake it off!

#19 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

London v Huddersfield in 2005. Watched the sport on TV for about a year and thought, 'I better go and watch a live game'. 

#20 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,161 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Oh dear, the first live game I saw was Leeds v Wakey at Headingley on Boxing Day 1960.  Wakey won 14-7.  Leeds won the Championship for the first time that season.  They had Lewis Jones, Ken Thornett and Wilf Rosenberg playing.  Wakey had Neil Fox and Derek Turner.  The next game was Challenge Cup 2nd round at Belle Vue in 1961, Wakey v Wigan - 28K crowd!  Wigan won 2 - 0  But Saints beat them at Wembley.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users