Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

First game you attended?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

wakefield v batley 1968 got hammered 78-8 but never put me off

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#22 raceman

raceman
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Saint Helens V Fartown in 1968 as a 5 year old is the first game I can remember but it wasn't the first game I attended.

#23 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

The weirdest game I ever attended was the CC tie between Cas and Leeds at Wheldon Road in 1963.  This was the year of the big freeze.  There'd been no Rugby and precious little of any sport for weeks since Christmas 1962.  But somehow Cas got the pitch "fit" for play, by use of sand, braziers and straw.  It was a black morass with occasional brown patches, there wasn't a blade of grass anywhere.  Leeds won. Lewis Jones scored the only try, the Cas fans snowballed him afterwards!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#24 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

my brother took me to watch saints v liverpool city in 1963 but i have supported widnes since 1964

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#25 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Some A team game in the mid Fifties
I hated it. The idea was that my dad took me to the footy, but it was all about him going for a few beers in the Nissen hut where the bar was.
The whole experience was ghastly and it seemed to consist of half drunk blokes shouting things like"get packed dahn does tha think tha's got a woman next to thi?"
The players drank from a bucket that was also used for the magic sponge and had a tab end floating in it

Similar experience to me. It was sometime in the early fifties and we took in a "Pitch and toss" game somewhere near the old slag bank near Barrow steel works.
Games in those days were always preceded by and followed by me standing outside the old "Kill one" club which was then next door to Barrow bus depot where T'Old fellow worked.
Today you wouldn't dream of leaving a 5 year old outside on his own. Mind you I wasn't much older than that when I was left outside of " Dirty Dicks" in London with a bottle of lemonade. I don't know what it was like inside then, but years later when I was old enough to go in in my own right it was a haunt for homosexuals and that was before it was legal.
The first game that I can remember who the opposition was was the 1955 Challenge Cup final v Workington.
Strange times and the past was definitely " a different country were they did things differently"
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

my dad took me to oldham a few times in 1985,can't really remember the games cos i was only 6...

first game i actually remember was oldham v australia on the 86 tour...we nearly beat them too.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#27 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

Can't remember my first game but it must have been around 1972.

But I can remember the first game I took my 5 year old daughter to watch as it was Cas's first game at The Shay. We followed a Cas supporter off the motorway to the stadium. Unfortunately he drove to Thrum Hall. We only realised his mistake when a bloke wearing a Fax scarf came out if his house and asked what we were doing. So we jumped backed into our cars and followed the Fax fan to The Shay.

Once inside my daughter got hungry so i bought her some sweets. They were the rice paper 'spaceships' that had sherbet inside them. I also hoisted her up on my shoulders so she could see the game and eat her sweets. It was only later that I noticed what I thought was dandruff on my shoulders was actually sherbet as my daughter had bit open all the 'spaceships' emptied the sherbet in to my hair and ate the rice paper.

Lovely memory.

#28 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

I took my Granddad to his first ever live match yesterday at the grand old age of 90. 

Fantastic - but which ground and game was it ?

#29 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hornets v Wigan 1971. I was six.

First Game in Oz was Cronulla v Parramatta at Shark Park in 2002 - I was 37 and just as excited. That first trip was a pilgrimage - every day of the trip visiting a ground/former ground/leagues club. We thought it'd be a 'once in  a lifetime' chance to immerse ourselves in Aussie RL.

I've done the trip 11 times since. 

Edited by Hornetto, 21 July 2014 - 08:09 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#30 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

My first game was 1975 World Cup match, Australia v England, at the Sydney Cricket Ground. I was 11 years old.

The two things I remember were Aussie winger Mark Harris going off with an injury (it was only this year, 39 years after the event, that I have seen a DVD of that game, to discover that Harris copped a shocking cheap shot that these days would get the offending player half a season. Yet in that game the Pommy offender wasn't even penalised !) The other thing I remember was a spectator constantly standing up and shouting for England; presumably he had had a few drinks. he also had this strange accent. i'd never heard an accent before.

First club game was South Sydney v North Sydney at the old Redfern Oval in 1976. I was totally hooked on the North Sydney Bears back then - shocking that they are no longer in the NRL.

It goes without saying that the game has got me for life … and I still LOVE the Bears and the Rugby League World Cup !

#31 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

October 1964 - Bradford Northern V York at Odsal. I can remember some of the players... Johnny Rae, Joe Levula, Brian Lord, Albert Wilkinson, Tommy Smales..

Smell of Wintergreen, orange slices in a bucket at half time for the players, coffee heavily laced with whiskey in the old wooden stand..

Even at my young age I found football a complete bore and still do - I got bitten by Rugby League that day in 1964 and never found the antedote..

#32 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Cas V WIdnes 1981 - we lost 31-13 and remember seeing Mick Burke for the first time and even as an 8 yr old lad thinking "Christ, how does he run the fatty"

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#33 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

First game 74-75,first game that really sticks in my mind is Leeds v Kangaoos in 82.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#34 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

Leeds v Warrington in 2008 (may have been 09)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#35 Cockney4league

Cockney4league
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Fantastic - but which ground and game was it ?

It was at the Hive, London Broncos vs St Helens

#36 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,092 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

My parents took me to the willows in 1946,I was five years old,cannot remember who Salford played but I remember my dad pointing out Barney Hudson who was injured.
I have been hooked on the Reds ever since.

1946? The year of my birth! My first game was in either 1957 or 1959.. Can't recall which. Station Road, either a cup semi or an international. Played with Swinton and Pendlebury Band on the pitch before the game and at half time. ..and was hooked for life .!

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

It was at the Hive, London Broncos vs St Helens

I hope he didn't mind some of the chanting by Saints fans!

Edited by Saintslass, 21 July 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#38 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

!960 just before Easter at Post Office Road; Featherstone V Workington. Town also played in blue and white, so as was the custom in those days the home team had to change, and Rovers turned out in red shirts and white shorts. I was only 8 at the time and didn't know beforehand what colours they usually played in. My next game was a few weeks later, the Easter Tuesday local derby against Castleford. The first team to run out onto the field were wearing blue and white hoops in a butchers apron pattern, so I booed them thinking they were Cas! That was the first and last time I ever booed Fev.

#39 Gowers Magic Hands

Gowers Magic Hands
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

1961 - My father took me to Station Rd to see Swinton v Wire. The burgeoning Swinton side were too good for Wire. A young Alan Buckley scored 2 or 3 tries and my father correctly predicted "he'll play for Great Britain that lad " . Brian Bevan scored  a consolation try for Wire and my father said " I'm glad the old man's got one" but he only expressed such magnanimity after Swinton had won the match !

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

!960 just before Easter at Post Office Road; Featherstone V Workington. Town also played in blue and white, so as was the custom in those days the home team had to change, and Rovers turned out in red shirts and white shorts. I was only 8 at the time and didn't know beforehand what colours they usually played in. My next game was a few weeks later, the Easter Tuesday local derby against Castleford. The first team to run out onto the field were wearing blue and white hoops in a butchers apron pattern, so I booed them thinking they were Cas! That was the first and last time I ever booed Fev.

I was at that game
I'd seen the rovers in that change strip, in those days it was the home team that changed. I wondered why the shirts had pink collars, not realising that the dye had run. I was a committed fan by then after my early experiences: qv
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users